Where did this menopause stomach come from?

Options
Menopause muffin or whatever they call it. Ugh!!! I've never had a belly and now 51 and I have this muffin belly. I eat less, work out 4 days a week, and still can't lose it. Its hard to find tops that cover it. My metabolism is not the same no matter what I do. I'm trying this wheat belly fat diet which is basically very low carb.....no grains and sugar. No beer. So far so good but belly is still there. For now. Wish me luck. We can do this together.

Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I know !!!!!!!!!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    sigh, I want to be man, no ,, I want men to feel what we feel.
  • jebhart62
    jebhart62 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I've never had a problem with my belly and all of a sudden change over the last year this big Buddha belly appeared. I hate it and nothing thus far has helped. Maybe by sharing our trials and tribulations we can find something to help us say goodbye or more like gods riddance to the belly.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I used to carry my weight more in my hips, but lately every ounce I gain goes right around teh bellybutton...and when it comes off, it comes off from everywhere else...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Menopot!
    I'm on the other side now, and trying a few things to shift the 8# I gained, and move the menopot!

I'm calling it my "after diet". ha.
  • aamundsoncpa
    aamundsoncpa Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Giving up sugar has been the only thing that seemed to flatten my tummy somewhat - not 100%, but it was acceptable. I successfully gave up sugar 2 years ago for several months but have gone back to my bad eating habits in the meantime...gaining weight and finding my muffin top again.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Giving up sugar has been the only thing that seemed to flatten my tummy somewhat - not 100%, but it was acceptable. I successfully gave up sugar 2 years ago for several months but have gone back to my bad eating habits in the meantime...gaining weight and finding my muffin top again.

That's factoring into my "after diet". I'm using a "wheat belly" type approach: fewer grains (then even before) and even stricter about added sugars. And overall a bit lower in carbs.
  • tcunbeliever
    Options
    I don't eat much in the way of sugar, but I do love my wine and whiskey...<sigh>...trying to abstain and only go for 1 splurge a month
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I don't eat much in the way of sugar, but I do love my wine and whiskey...<sigh>...trying to abstain and only go for 1 splurge a month
    Oh wine. How I love thee.
  • aamundsoncpa
    aamundsoncpa Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Isn't moderate wine consumption good for us? My cholesterol came back higher then ever this month which I'm sure is due to my diminishing estrogen levels. So I've added a glass of wine and a small piece of dark chocolate to my diet...along with more fiber, exercise (still working on ramping that up!) and oatmeal for breakfast. Hoping that will all help with my tummy fat as well.
  • tcunbeliever
    Options
    I'm firmly convinced that high cholesterol is good for you as you age, but not a lot of doctors agree with that!
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    I'm firmly convinced that high cholesterol is good for you as you age, but not a lot of doctors agree with that!

I think our brains need it, and reducing it too low is what is causing the increase in dementia cases.
    Menopause muffin or whatever they call it. Ugh!!! I've never had a belly and now 51 and I have this muffin belly. I eat less, work out 4 days a week, and still can't lose it. Its hard to find tops that cover it. My metabolism is not the same no matter what I do. I'm trying this wheat belly fat diet which is basically very low carb.....no grains and sugar. No beer. So far so good but belly is still there. For now. Wish me luck. We can do this together.

I might suggest getting a good physical exam. I recently had an increase in stomach size, turns out I had tumors (that have been removed surgically, it's all good). Just found out my cousin is in treatment for abdominal tumors, same sort of symptoms, she is very athletic, but was getting a "gut", and then started losing her appetite, and was still not losing weight. I'm praying for her that the treatments work.
  • tmbg1
    tmbg1 Posts: 1,305 Member
    Options
    I've got the belly too... The belly fat is relentless!
  • chippywelsh
    chippywelsh Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I was going to go out last night but didn't because I've got nothing nice to wear. I've had to finally accept that I'm a dress size bigger so nothing fits and the styles I used to wear don't suit me anymore because they all have waists. I've gone from a 12 - 14 with a flat stomach to a 16 with rolls of fat. It's so depressing :-(
    I'm going to a wedding soon and the only outfit I'll feel remotely comfortable in is a floor length skirt with long sleeved, loose fitting top. I've never eaten so little, I've given up carbs, grains, sugar and I've even switched to drinking vodka and water instead of wine! I'm not giving up though and I'm just banking on getting past the hormone nightmare and the fat dropping off. I imagine myself eventually looking like Virginia McKenna or Kathryn Hepburn or Joanna Lumly ha ha ha ha - more likely to be Miriam Margolyes - no offence Miriam!
  • carodonovan930
    carodonovan930 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I share your pain.. I've come to the conclusion it doesn't matter what I do the weight is creeping on. I diet, exercise, count calories, decrease carbs, increase protein, taken aptogens, tried to boost metabolism... and guess what I'm a stone heavier than I was last year!! And My weight was getting me down last year!!! I feel frumpy and unattractive. I wouldn't mind if I knew I was eating for England but when I try and do something nothing works!!
  • 927caryo
    927caryo Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Ugh. I hear you. I have always been a tummy weight girl but now that I'm 54 it's out of control.
  • MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I thought this exact thing just a couple of hours ago! I've always been a "pear" but now just look (and feel) like a blobby slob. Ugh.
  • suzyQbam123
    suzyQbam123 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My period has been gone for 2 months - 2 measly months - and I'm already noticing a difference in my belly area. It's disgusting and SO depressing.
  • cherys
    cherys Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I can relate to this. Today I stood and looked in the mirror and there was this belly that just stuck out, however hard I tried to pull it in. I used to have a real washboard stomach. Big thighs but fkat belly. It was the part of my body I liked best. And now... :(
    Still...it is true that I don't work out as hard as I did when I was younger, so maybe upping the crunches and planks will help.
  • javame
    javame Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Same, same, same!!! Former "pear," any weight gain would go to hips & thighs first. Now it's belly, hips, thighs. Starting yoga Wed, found a Groupon and took it as a sign to try it:)