High calories

Options
Can I eat higher calories than I would in a high carb diet and still lose weight?

Replies

• 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,611 Member
    Options
    In my experience, the caloric stuff stays the same. For me it is just easier to be mindful of calories because I am not hungry all the time when I keep my carbs low.
  • Phoenix_Dawn
    Phoenix_Dawn Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I lost a bunch of weight a couple years ago, low calorie, then I started exercising a ton. Lots of running and cardio. I would eat about 1800-2000 Cals a day. I slowed and then stopped exercising and it feels like I still want to eat that way. I am 5'3" and 160 lbs. I don't know how many calories I can eat and still lose weight. I manually set it to 1400 to keep myself sane, but I go over all the time.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    The only way people can lose weight is through Calorific deficit.
    By reducing your calories and carbs, but upping your PROTEIN intake, you will modify your appetite and hunger/cravings.

You might like to consider fasting too, but it's essential you keep your electrolytes up during this time - watch your Magnesium and Sodium and fluid intake.

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Can I eat higher calories than I would in a high carb diet and still lose weight?

My experience is I can not eat higher calories.
    I lost a bunch of weight a couple years ago, low calorie, then I started exercising a ton. Lots of running and cardio. I would eat about 1800-2000 Cals a day. I slowed and then stopped exercising and it feels like I still want to eat that way. I am 5'3" and 160 lbs. I don't know how many calories I can eat and still lose weight. I manually set it to 1400 to keep myself sane, but I go over all the time.

Looks like you have 10 days under your belt eating low carb. Your average daily calories are 1646 if I added and divided right. Have you lost, gained or maintained? The best info you can use is your personal log if you are entering data accurately and the entries you are selecting are accurate though 10 days really isn't all that much time given the initial water weight loss most folks seem to have.

MFP is a pretty good program and has worked well for me for loss and maintenance. Exercise calories in a lot of categories are overstated but that's pretty true of most calculators.
  • Shron123
    Shron123 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I have lost 36 pounds since July 3 at 1600-1700 calories per day. Way higher than any other diet where I managed to lose weight. It is probably very individual and CICO does play a role but for me HFLC has been amazing and totally different than any other program from my past. Good luck.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Some science on Ketogenic diets suggests a slight metabolic advantage but it’s very small (maybe 50 calories a day) and experts aren’t in agreement that it’s accurate.
    This is based on Kevin Halls study from last year. He summarized the study that there was no metabolic advantage but when others looked at the data they said it seemed to show the 50 calorie a day advantage.
    So there’s no clear answer and even if there is, it’s very small.
  • GorgeousMa
    GorgeousMa Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    What I noticed is as you become fat adapted your body doesn't crave as much food, It is good not to go too low on calories but until your adapted I would say eat until your satisfied. Some people can eat 1800 calories a day and lose quickly and then ppl like me stick within 13-1400 calories for a steady pace.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »

My experience is I can not eat higher calories.

Looks like you have 10 days under your belt eating low carb. Your average daily calories are 1646 if I added and divided right. Have you lost, gained or maintained? The best info you can use is your personal log if you are entering data accurately and the entries you are selecting are accurate though 10 days really isn't all that much time given the initial water weight loss most folks seem to have.

MFP is a pretty good program and has worked well for me for loss and maintenance. Exercise calories in a lot of categories are overstated but that's pretty true of most calculators.

That makes really good sense. Look at your diary and see what happens on the scale and then go with it.

Some find what they eat makes very little difference on how many calories they can eat. I'm one who finds it makes a difference - I can eat a few hundred calories more a day while keto. It is unclear why. Perhaps I eat more protein than before. Perhaps my status of insulin resistance makes low carb easier for my body to handle. Perhaps the lower levels of inflammation this diet makes helps my autoimmune issues stay quieter (thyroid more stable). Who knows. It works for me though.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    You can also consider intermittent fasting once you are fat adapted (wait a month or so) and have a sense of how it is working for you.