Dealing with pain

Options
BBee5064
BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
So I woke up a few days ago & my back was in agony. I went to tuina ( Chinese acupressure massage) excruciatingly painful. She told me I slightly put my hip joint out.. the pain in mainly in my right shoulder blade area & down my arm to my elbow.
Anyone got any tips to ease the pain?

Replies

• d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,053 Member
    Options
    Not to be an alarmist, but I would suggest you see your GP about your pain symptoms. What you are describing could simply be a pinched nerve in your back or early signs of a heart attack.
    While men may feel “the weight of an elephant” sitting on their chests—heart attacks for women often cause sharp pains in the upper body. It’s common for women to complain of sharp, shooting pain or dull, gradually mounting pain the neck, upper arms, or jaw. Regardless, the pain can be so strong that it rouses you from sleep.
  • eastbaygal
    eastbaygal Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If this a new pain, then you should see your GP for a referral for physical therapy, for no other reason than to diagnose just what is triggering the pain. You have to know what is causing the problem before you can start treating it. Take care.
  • BBee5064
    Options
    Thank you for replying
    It’s definitely not a heart attack I’m pleased to say. It is muscular for sure. I’ve had something similar before quite a few years ago.
    Every time you see the gp they recommend pain killers & rest.
    I just wanted some practical pain relief advise x
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 13,137 Member
    Options
    It sounds like the kind of thing that might respond well to a long hot bath followed by gentle stretching.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I'm a proponent of yoga to prevent such issues. :)
  • BBee5064
    Options
    Thanks UncleMac
    Great practical advise
  • Mccmack
    Mccmack Posts: 195 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    My wife used to be a pt and made a living fixing backs by strengthening abs. Anything you can do to strengthen your abs without challenging your back would be helpful. Getting in a pool and walking with tight abs might help. Not sure why you are getting upper body pain when your hip joint is out.

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    1. Chronic Pain-5 Minutes Breathing Solution (nose breathing is a little bit slower than mouth breathing.)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2saBXRmT_w

2. Deep breathing for pain issues:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efNTH7F9WoI
    He does 4-7-8. You can do something else in the beginning 4-6-6 or another variation.
    The point is to breathe in and out slowly through the nose into and out of the diaphragm for five minutes three or four times a day and then work up to longer breaths as often throughout the day as you wish. A person can do this standing or sitting or lying down.

3. Yoga breathing
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uxbdx-SeOOo&list=PLhiNtEBsgk1SKo-3NnmoWMeu_BkRS_kgw&index=5

4. For falling asleep, I do a modification -- shallower breaths 4-3-3 and always through my nose.

You might find other breathing videos that you prefer.
  • BBee5064
    Options
    Mccmack wrote: »
    My wife used to be a pt and made a living fixing backs by strengthening abs. Anything you can do to strengthen your abs without challenging your back would be helpful. Getting in a pool and walking with tight abs might help. Not sure why you are getting upper body pain when your hip joint is out.

Thanks for the advise. I definitely put the suggestions into practice.
    The touch tuina therapist suggested it was my hip that was out. I’m not so convinced
  • BBee5064
    Options
    Thank you RodaRose
    I check these techniques out xx
  • eastbaygal
    eastbaygal Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It's worrisome that your GP just offers pain pills and rest. We have such a problem with opioids in this country. There are all kind of suggestions on this board that are a much better choice. Good for you for looking farther.
  • Saltfree1
    Saltfree1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Bbee5064 - I might have an answer for you to deal with pain. I just joined the group today and noticed your comment on pain. I have been successfully dealing with my pain flare ups (severe arthritis of the knees and hip joint) by using the AlphaStim Microcurrent stimulator. It has been five years now and between weight loss and the self-administered microcurrent treatments it has so far been the best five years since I was diagnosed in 1992. The weight loss alone did not do it and I learned of microcurrent treatment through going to the hospital for very expensive physical therapy - noticed that they always ended up with a microcurrent treatment followed by compresses. I researched on the internet and found this solution. I no longer need the $500 per visit therapy! Hope you find this useful.
  • RodaRose
    Options
    I am at work so I cannot look at the device but I think I have something similar to what
    @Saltfree1 is talking about. (Maybe it is the same thing -- not sure).

Years ago my podiatrist had a TENS unit in his office. I learned later that one can buy small machines on Amazon. I have one that I probably bought for 25 dollars.
    Here is a link from a manufacturer describing what it does.

https://www.tensunits.com/WORK.html
  • Saltfree1
    Saltfree1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi RodaRose - nice to see your post, but I cannot speak to the performance of unknown TENS units only to the performance of my own AlphaStim which is an FDA approved tool specifically for the the listed therapies and other things like depression. Unfortunately I have heard that various TENS manufacturers make claims that cannot be substantiated nor can you rely on them for the same time of microcurrent stimulation. My hospital therapists said that many others can only be used by professionals as the treatment modalities vary. Having paid so much for hospital therapy sessions I only choose the KNOWN best retail machine for this. Please note that I am an individual owner (not a representative or salesperson or internet reimbursed person) of an Alpha Stim. Love the machine! Is this the one that you have - see link:>> http://www.alpha-stim.com/alpha-stim-technology/pain/ << ??
  • BBee5064
    Options
    eastbaygal wrote: »
    It's worrisome that your GP just offers pain pills and rest. We have such a problem with opioids in this country. There are all kind of suggestions on this board that are a much better choice. Good for you for looking farther.

Thank you x
  • BBee5064
    Options
    Saltfree1 wrote: »
    Bbee5064 - I might have an answer for you to deal with pain. I just joined the group today and noticed your comment on pain. I have been successfully dealing with my pain flare ups (severe arthritis of the knees and hip joint) by using the AlphaStim Microcurrent stimulator. It has been five years now and between weight loss and the self-administered microcurrent treatments it has so far been the best five years since I was diagnosed in 1992. The weight loss alone did not do it and I learned of microcurrent treatment through going to the hospital for very expensive physical therapy - noticed that they always ended up with a microcurrent treatment followed by compresses. I researched on the internet and found this solution. I no longer need the $500 per visit therapy! Hope you find this useful.

Thank you so much
    I’m going to look into this treatment for sure xxx
  • BBee5064
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    I am at work so I cannot look at the device but I think I have something similar to what
    @Saltfree1 is talking about. (Maybe it is the same thing -- not sure).

Years ago my podiatrist had a TENS unit in his office. I learned later that one can buy small machines on Amazon. I have one that I probably bought for 25 dollars.
    Here is a link from a manufacturer describing what it does.

https://www.tensunits.com/WORK.html

Thank you RodaRose x
  • BBee5064
    Options
    Hi RodaRose - nice to see your post, but I cannot speak to the performance of unknown TENS units only to the performance of my own AlphaStim which is an FDA approved tool specifically for the the listed therapies and other things like depression. Unfortunately I have heard that various TENS manufacturers make claims that cannot be substantiated nor can you rely on them for the same time of microcurrent stimulation. My hospital therapists said that many others can only be used by professionals as the treatment modalities vary. Having paid so much for hospital therapy sessions I only choose the KNOWN best retail machine for this. Please note that I am an individual owner (not a representative or salesperson or internet reimbursed person) of an Alpha Stim. Love the machine! Is this the one that you have - see link:>> http://www.alpha-stim.com/alpha-stim-technology/pain/ << ??

Sounds I look into Alpha Stim
  • RodaRose
    edited November 2017
    Options
    No. I do not have anything as sophisticated as what you describe. Does it really help with depression?
    I have this: Tens Unit, LuxFit Premium Portable Tens Machine EMS Electric Pulse and something similar.
    One is still in the box unused but lost.
    And the other I used and loved but cannot find either.
    It's lost them in my house somewhere -- my life has been chaotic.
  • RodaRose
    Options
    BBee5064 wrote: »

Sounds I look into Alpha Stim

Well wishes to you @BBee5064
    I hope you get better. <3
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 13,137 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    ... my life has been chaotic.

Welcome to my world... so much chaos....