So a cop asked if I'd been drinking...

Options
unrulygurl
unrulygurl Posts: 103 Member
edited November 2017 in Social Groups
He smelled my ketosis breath. It is all good. I work at a Police Department.

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I’ve always heard that if you’re pulled over and asked to take a breathalyzer to tell them you eat a low carb diet.
    Are cops typically aware that this is a thing?
  • unrulygurl
    unrulygurl Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    They are aware for diabetes, not sure about low-carb. I'll have to ask. A few just finished intocilyzer school so they should have the most up to date info.
  • SuesNewImage
    SuesNewImage Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Neve thought of this. Would love to find out
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Breathalyzers track acetone, which is a byproduct of keto. Several folks have talked about being able to get a portable breathalyzer cheaply to track their ketones, so this does not surprise me at all. I don't know how you would go about proving you weren't intoxicated if stopped, though...
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Breathalyzers track acetone, which is a byproduct of keto. Several folks have talked about being able to get a portable breathalyzer cheaply to track their ketones, so this does not surprise me at all. I don't know how you would go about proving you weren't intoxicated if stopped, though...

LOL. I've not had an "adult beverage" in years and I'd really be up the creek without a paddle. Not only might I blow a high number, this damned Dystonia could possibly keep me from walking a straight line. Gotta laugh. :p
  • ThinManRuning
    ThinManRuning Posts: 33 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    bametels wrote: »
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    I don't know how you would go about proving you weren't intoxicated if stopped, though...

You should tell the officer upfront that you are on a keto diet and therefore the breathalyzer may show a false positive. You need to request a BAC blood test, which will show your true blood alcohol level.

That's going to go down well in some cases, but good to know i guess.. thanks.

• chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    goodness never even thought of this!! Amazing but good to know, though I hope I never need it B)
  • Barry7879
    Barry7879 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    One of my pilot colleagues was in ketosis and a security agent reported him. He was hauled off the plane for testing and the flight was severely delayed. We are not allowed to fly even after a negative test result.
  • Selendraco
    Selendraco Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Barry7879 wrote: »
    One of my pilot colleagues was in ketosis and a security agent reported him. He was hauled off the plane for testing and the flight was severely delayed. We are not allowed to fly even after a negative test result.

Oh man that sucks.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Wow. Interesting thread!!