Create the ultimate Training hall

Options
The head of your organization has heard that you have some amazing ideas for the ultimate training hall (Dojo/Dojang/Hall/School/Gym/Insert term here), and has placed you in charge of designing the perfect school:

Your budget is 200k USD and 45 days to outfit the school. You need to cover:

1 - Layout # rooms, size, purpose and relationship to each other.
2 - Material - Floor, Walls, Mats, beams, windows doors, etc
3 - Equipment - Heavy bags, speed bags, focus pads, BOB, target trees, dance bars, makiwara, weights etc...
4 - Decoration - Utilitarian, modern, ancient, minimalist, eclectic?

How does your design work to make the ultimate training hall?

Replies

• Bianca42
    Bianca42 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I don't have a ton of input, other than squishy floors and lots of mirrors.

I don't think my knees would like me attempting some of the jumping kicks without the give of the floors.

Sometimes our bags get moved in front of the mirrors so I've got to align myself just right to be able to watch my form in the mirror around the bags. And sometimes that means standing awkwardly close to the person next to me.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    Matting!

I would love a room with barres like ballet dancers have.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options

Here is mine:
    Layout:
    2 class rooms, dressing rooms with lockers and showers. Viewing area for spectators separate from classrooms (window so parents can watch). Small area for reception and equipment sales, 2 offices.

Classrooms:
    Main - Large square classroom. Primary location for most classes.
    Master's - For black belt classes and private lessons

Main:
    Floor:
    1" high density foam

Equipment:
    (2) 40 lb heavy bag
    (2) 100 lb "soft strike" heavy bags
    (2) Body Opponent Bag
    (2) Bobby Bully
    (10) blocking sticks (noodle with pvc center)
    (10) each Kicking shield/clappers/focus pads
    Pull-up bar
    Barres: 3 levels (2.5', 4', 5')
    Mirrors: Floor to ceiling for an entire wall

Masters
    Floor:
    Sprung hardwood

Equipment:
    (1) 100 lb "soft strike" heavy bags
    (5) each Kicking shield/clappers/focus pads
    (5) blocking sticks (noodle with wooden dowel center)
    (2) Makiwara
    Folding 2" foam mats (for break falls)

Decor:
    Main - Modern, clean. All equipment has shelves/hooks. Primary colors are blue and grey
    Masters- Hardwood throughout. Minimalist design. All equipment on hooks in corners

• ElliInJapan
    ElliInJapan Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    This is an interesting thread! My husband and I play with the idea of building a dojo on the roof of our house and we enjoy talking about it. So far we know it will be one large training room with wooden floor and high ceiling (we use weapons, some of them are long). One wall will be full of mirrors, probably the 'front' of the dojo, with pictures of senseis hanging on top. Another wall will have equipment hanging i.e. all sorts of weapons, makiwara, heavy bags, pads, etc. My husband wants a chinese wooden dummy somewhere there too. For the other 2 walls we consider opening lots of windows opening to a big balcony. We had such a balcony in Okinawa and it was a delight - for airing the room, for the students getting a break, even for spectators and parents to enjoy the class from a more relaxed and fresh location. Barres will be under the windows.

Of course there will be dressing rooms with showers, shoe racks and lockers. Decoration will be similar to traditional dojos, with group pictures for various events hanging high on the walls, maybe posters from events and festivals too. Somewhere there will be a display of all students' names, sorted by rank.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Large open mat. Heavy bag stations that can be lowered from the ceiling. Lots of targets and training gear, stadium seating for the parents, proper changing rooms, and a starbucks :)
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    A curtain to cover the mirrors, those things can distract new students bad!.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    i hate the mirrors.... I don't wanna see my stomach jiggling like jelly when I do forms. Very demotivating LOL
  • Valsgoals
    Valsgoals Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    @Geo, I have a love hate thing having to wear a long sleeve gi for that reason. I hate it because of the heat buildup but love that my "wings" aren't seen flapping away when throwing punches or doing forms.

I do like the idea of mirrors and the ballet bar.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I used to go to a club that had a headquarters that they owned (as opposed to rented space), which they'd been able to outfit and adapt to their needs more fully.

As I remember, it was similar to @bwmalone 's layout with two training rooms; the first was the main room for classes (no window) and the second was for simultaneous black belt classes and/or staff training ss. That one had a wall length window, so that students in the waiting room could observe. Presumably so that they could see what was possible and be inspired. It certainly worked on me- I am never going to forget seeing Master Z doing weapons practice. :open_mouth: He was amazing.

The staff/black belt room had mirrors, but the main hall didn't.

The thing I miss most about that place is the number of toilets. There were separate men's and women's areas and each had provision for multiple people to use the facilities at a time.

Current club has one toilet, and we share it with the staff and clients of the sports therapist in the same building!
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    A curtain to cover the mirrors, those things can distract new students bad!.

Very cool idea - I know too well the distraction of kids and mirrors.
  • Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    Options
    bwmalone wrote: »
    Here is mine:
    Layout:
    2 class rooms, dressing rooms with lockers and showers. Viewing area for spectators separate from classrooms (window so parents can watch). Small area for reception and equipment sales, 2 offices.

Classrooms:
    Main - Large square classroom. Primary location for most classes.
    Master's - For black belt classes and private lessons

Main:
    Floor:
    1" high density foam

Equipment:
    (2) 40 lb heavy bag
    (2) 100 lb "soft strike" heavy bags
    (2) Body Opponent Bag
    (2) Bobby Bully
    (10) blocking sticks (noodle with pvc center)
    (10) each Kicking shield/clappers/focus pads
    Pull-up bar

Masters
    Floor:
    Sprung hardwood

Equipment:
    (1) 100 lb "soft strike" heavy bags
    (5) each Kicking shield/clappers/focus pads
    (5) blocking sticks (noodle with wooden dowel center)
    (2) Makiwara
    Folding 2" foam mats (for break falls)

Decor:
    Main - Modern, clean. All equipment has shelves/hooks. Primary colors are blue and grey
    Masters- Hardwood throughout. Minimalist design. All equipment on hooks in corners

This s perfect! The only thing I would add to this is a wall of weapons racks; more traditional Okinawan design than modern and large doors on opposite ends to allow a through breeze