Help..I Have Fallen Off the Keto Wagon

Options
Kdale324
Kdale324 Posts: 3 Member
I started a Keto diet in July and everything was going great. I lost 40+ pounds heading into the school year (teacher). Two weeks ago I fell off the band wagon and fell hard. My sugar addiction is back full force! My goal was to be down 50 pounds before I go on my son's Make-A-Wish Trip in December. I was so close, but now I have 12 pounds to go. I need some advice and encouragement, even suggestions to get catch the wagon again.

Replies

• ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    What kind of sugary sweets / treats have you fallen face first into? Google low carb "insert name of recipe here." Make yourself some healthy low carb treats at home. This will allow you to feed indulge your craving for sweets in a way that won't totally scuttle all your hard work. 2 birds, 1 stone.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I find it best to get back to lchf and then to keto, without worrying about calorie restriction for a while. My old tendency would be to eat low calorie or fast for a while, but that cycles me back into a binge like cycle. I find focusing on healthy foods is the best way for me to get back to it.

...and throw out any temptations too. ;)
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    My guess is that unhealthy eating habits were associated with the school year. It might be easier for you to reset things during the summer. It will be a matter of establishing some good patterns of behavior that are part of the faculty lounge, etc. experience. Stress might be a factor in the bad food choices too...
  • Mfal90
    Mfal90 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Great job on the 40+ lbs lost so far! You'll reach your goal, even if it's a little bit later than expected. The good news is that you caught yourself after 2 weeks. You're stopping it from becoming longer, and that's a great step. How did you start back in July? Maybe check your MFP Food Diary and eat some of those beginning meals again. This should ease you back in, in a very familiar way. Good luck, you got this!
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Kdale324 wrote: »
    I started a Keto diet in July and everything was going great. I lost 40+ pounds heading into the school year (teacher). Two weeks ago I fell off the band wagon and fell hard. My sugar addiction is back full force! My goal was to be down 50 pounds before I go on my son's Make-A-Wish Trip in December. I was so close, but now I have 12 pounds to go. I need some advice and encouragement, even suggestions to get catch the wagon again.

Bacon and eggs for breakfast, salad with <insert favorite protein here> for lunch, Protein with keto friendly veggies for dinner. No snacking. And you really should find a good keto dessert that you will enjoy and not feel deprived. That should get you back on track in no time.
  • __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Hey! I am a teacher, too. I get how hard it can be! There are almost always treats in the staff room, whether from co-workers, parents, events, staff meetings etc... plus, I am usually too mentally tired after work to want to exercise or cook nice meals. It's a big job!

(In fact, I'm supposed to be writing report cards RIGHT NOW, but am using this post as a means of procrastinating!! :lol:)

I practice intermittent fasting. I make myself a bulletproof coffee in the morning, and I take it to work with me. I don't start sipping on it until I get my first hunger pang/ hunger signal. For me, that's usually around 9:30 am or so. I consider this breakfast, and usually sip it through morning recess.

For lunch, I often bring turkey pepperoni, organic cheese, and a couple pickles - or some other simple, easy to pack keto lunch. Sometimes I work through my lunch break (don't we all?) so I like to have something simple that I don't have to reheat.

I try not to snack after school. I might have a Zevia cola or something else zero-carb to tide me over, if needed (turkey deli meat, seaweed snax, etc). Instead I just try to focus on making dinner.

If my first meal was lunch (12 noon), I try to eat dinner before 8 pm. If I did eat something at recess (10:30), then I try to eat dinner before 6:30 pm.

I only pack keto foods to work and then say No Thanks to anything offered to me throughout the day. I think a key is not seeing it as an option. Sugar and grains make me feel so awful (inflammatory, moon faced, achey) so I simply do not consider them food any longer.

I don't know what your specific weak spots are, but maybe if you can share them we can help. For me, it's chocolate. I eat too much Lily's stevia chocolate! I have to stop buying it for a while, until I can get back to eating "one serving" instead of "one bar"! :lol:

• 2t9nty
    Options
    I am a former classroom teacher myself. I did this for 32 years, and I have to say that the donuts from the Parents' Club on Fridays were a weakness of mine. You run by the office of the School Resource Officer to say, "Hi" and snag a mini bag of M&M's from the bowl on his desk. It is Friday after all, and you are tired. Resistance is weak. You feel as if you have earned it.

Parish ministry has its own land mines for the keto diet. I have gotten reasonably good in the last 22 months or so at treading softly through the mine fields. The first few years in the parish were something of a train wreck for anything like a diet. Church receptions and dinners are not typically very diet-friendly. We associate high-carb foods with social gatherings.
  • GorgeousMa
    GorgeousMa Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat, unfortunately sugar is the DEVIL and it seems once he sucks you in it is so very difficult to break. I lost 30 lbs last year and mostly because I decided to do what I saw everyone else doing (widening my low carb pallet with stuff that stalled me. dark chocolate ect) it derailed me and has been a ______ trying to get back on. I want skinny too, I love how I felt on keto. They say 21 days to break a habit and have your body on track but I tell you getting there is a battle. It seemed so easy before, therefore because we want this we must work hard and fight that evil sugar/carb devil.

We can do it!
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    2t9nty wrote: »
    I am a former classroom teacher myself. I did this for 32 years, and I have to say that the donuts from the Parents' Club on Fridays were a weakness of mine. You run by the office of the School Resource Officer to say, "Hi" and snag a mini bag of M&M's from the bowl on his desk. It is Friday after all, and you are tired. Resistance is weak. You feel as if you have earned it.

Parish ministry has its own land mines for the keto diet. I have gotten reasonably good in the last 22 months or so at treading softly through the mine fields. The first few years in the parish were something of a train wreck for anything like a diet. Church receptions and dinners are not typically very diet-friendly. We associate high-carb foods with social gatherings.

Bread and wine were the pits, huh?
  • fatchimom
    fatchimom Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I myself have fallen off hard! In March of 2016 I was pretty comfortable at133. Then the gall bladder issue-I was at 144 in June of this year and now I am at 158. Ugghhh!!!!! It seems all I want to do is eat crappy food and sleep. My last day at work is this Thursday and I'm hoping a schedule change will push me back in the right direction!!! Persevere and try to stay positive. This is a great place to be and we all encourage each other!
  • 2t9nty
    edited November 2017
    Options

Bread and wine were the pits, huh?

The greater problems are the "funeral potatoes" and the coffee hour donuts. Serving size on the bread and wine is pretty small, even if you do have three services on Sunday...

• mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    omg. Funeral potatoes. I can dive into a casserole dish of that and never come up for air.
  • 2t9nty
    Options
    mmultanen wrote: »
    omg. Funeral potatoes. I can dive into a casserole dish of that and never come up for air.

The problem really is that the serving size seems to be 3 cups. It is one of those things where people want comfort food and funeral potatoes will deliver. For the most part I stick to a chicken breast with the battered skin peeled off for the luncheon these days.
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I had never heard of funeral potatoes so I had to google it! Is the dish associated with a particular religion and/or region?
  • 2t9nty
    Options
    bametels wrote: »
    I had never heard of funeral potatoes so I had to google it! Is the dish associated with a particular religion and/or region?

I am not aware of any particular association. I thought it was just universal funeral fare. Maybe it is a regional thing?
  • Kdale324
    Kdale324 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You all have been so amazing and helpful. I shall try to respond to a few questions that were brought up....I started Keto in July because I wanted my dad who has Alzheimers to do it with me...he said no he would rather drink beer. I had a great time over the summer cooking meals and making different items that were Keto friendly. The stressors of teaching have kicked in...candy and donuts are an enemy. Saying I earned this snack bag because I lost so much was a huge pitfall. I took the long weekend to try and reset. I am feeling good. Although I was asked when my baby was due....ouch that hurt! My seat belt must have been faulty!!! I am in this to be healthier and have a new lifestyle so I am strapped back it my seat.
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    2t9nty wrote: »
    bametels wrote: »

I am not aware of any particular association. I thought it was just universal funeral fare. Maybe it is a regional thing?

Funeral potatoes, Picnic potatoes....Seems to be different names for the same type of dish: I won't share a recipe link because that would just be too cruel....We call them Cheesy potatoes in my house and was one of the things my family missed the most when we went low carb/keto. You could probably make them with cauliflower, but not sure if it would satisfy the same....

Kind of like a really cheesy creamy potato casserole dish.