Balsamic vinegar

Options
Does anyone have a LOW carb option for Balsamic Vinegar. I adore Tomato/Boccacini salads with olive oil and balsamic vinegar but balsamic vinegar is high in carbs :(

Replies

• AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    It's the same old thing: Finding substitutes is almost impossible. Many are of the opinion that any artificial sweetener has just as many downsides as real sugar.

My advice would be to simply cut back on something else, if you can't do without balsamic vinegar.
    I'm Italian. I hardly ever touch the stuff.
    Too sweet for me.
    I prefer white wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar (which I make myself).

If you have a high-carb salad dressing because of the balsamic vinegar, balance it out the following day by cutting out the carbs you'd normally allow yourself.

It's a balancing act.
    But it's not carved in stone.

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have a LOW carb option for Balsamic Vinegar. I adore Tomato/Boccacini salads with olive oil and balsamic vinegar but balsamic vinegar is high in carbs :(

I use the Paul Newman Balsamic Vinaigrette provided by McDonald's for their side salads.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Walden Farms Balsamic Vinaigrette salad dressing. One of their better of often questionable salad dressing flavors.

https://www.waldenfarms.com/products/dressings.html

They have 5 different Vinaigrette flavors:
    1. Pear & White Balsalmic Vinaigrette (good but verging on too sweet after a while)
    2. Honey Balsalmic Vinaigrette (WAAAAAAAAAYYYY too sweet)
    3. Super Fruits Balsalmic Vinaigrette (again, good but verging on too sweet after a while)
    4. Balsalmic Vinaigrette (so far, I like this salad dressing flavor the best out of all the Walden Farms flavors I've tried); and finally
    5. Raspberry Balsalmic Vinaigrette (haven't tried it yet but I have a bottle of it at home just waiting for me to try it).

People either love or hate Walden Farms products though so be forewarned. Some are truly terrible tasting while others are tolerable for what they are intended to do. Hope this info helps.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Really good Balsamic vinegar is best drizzled on fresh strawberries with pepper, or mixed into greek yogourt to give it an awesome sweetness and flavour punch. Salad is a waste, lol.
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options

It's not that high unless you are using a reduction or a glaze? It's about 0.9carbs per tsp or 2.7carbs per tbsp which would be a lot to use on one portion of salad.
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Really good Balsamic vinegar is best drizzled on fresh strawberries with pepper, or mixed into greek yogourt to give it an awesome sweetness and flavour punch. Salad is a waste, lol.

and yes to that re strawberries!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    While many suggest serving dressing "on the side" my way has usually been to add a measured amount, give it a good stir and let it sit for a bit to let the flavor of the dressing "soak in". Works well at home though I usually have another bowl to wash: the big one used for the "good stir".
  • newmekellyc
    newmekellyc Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I love balsamic also but decided its just not worth it right now, I also like malt vinegar so I bought some of that and I am using that on my salads, greens and well anything I want!!
  • Sandypants2017
    Sandypants2017 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    It’s the glaze I love. Agreed, great on strawberries, but great on many things and one of my favourite condiments. Thank you for the ideas, I will have to try making my own sugar free glaze.