Life after VSG... Cooking for hubby

Options
Hi! So I'm only 1 week out from my VSG, and still doing clear liquids. But I'm thinking to the future. I know I will need to really watch carbs when I return to real food. So... What do I do for my hubby?

He's a 6'2" 170# bean pole. (Although a very handsome one!) Anyways, he does not need to lose weight, if anything, he could stand to gain 10#. So, what will low carb living do for him? Will he lose? (Another point to bear in mind, if any of you are knowledgeable on the subject: he has Crohn's Disease. I don't think that low carb would effect that.

I can cook low carb meals, but what about lunch box snacks? He takes a lunch with him every day. (He's a construction worker, so he needs lots of food for the energy his job requires.) Any ideas what kind of things would be good for break time for a hard-working slow-eating thin hungry hubby?

I have been sending cheese sticks and cookies and protein/granola bars for break. And I can keep on. I guess I have been wondering if it's feasible to go completely low carb for both of us, do we will both be eating the same kinds of food, or if that's out of the question. What do the rest of you do? Thoughts? Comments? Questions?

Replies

• JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Sounds like he can pretty much eat the same at work or when you're not around. As for shared meals if there's a few less carbs on his plate he'll be fine. The important thing is to limit the processed foods. I still probably eat 30-40% of my calories from carbs but I limit refined versions of them.
  • gettingdownto150
    gettingdownto150 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Aztec4Life wrote: »
    Sounds like he can pretty much eat the same at work or when you're not around. As for shared meals if there's a few less carbs on his plate he'll be fine. The important thing is to limit the processed foods. I still probably eat 30-40% of my calories from carbs but I limit refined versions of them.

Okay that's really great to hear! Thanks! I appreciate the input.

Just curious.. what do you consider processed foods? I love to cook and bake. If I make cookies myself, is that processed food? I'm guessing so, but there seems to be a lot of different ideas on what determines 'processed'. What are your guidelines? Produce and meat and dairy are not processed? Anything beyond that? What about condiments? Or do they fit in the limited amount you have?
  • Trailtramper74
    Trailtramper74 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Hi! So I'm only 1 week out from my VSG, and still doing clear liquids. But I'm thinking to the future. I know I will need to really watch carbs when I return to real food. So... What do I do for my hubby?

He's a 6'2" 170# bean pole. (Although a very handsome one!) Anyways, he does not need to lose weight, if anything, he could stand to gain 10#. So, what will low carb living do for him? Will he lose? (Another point to bear in mind, if any of you are knowledgeable on the subject: he has Crohn's Disease. I don't think that low carb would effect that.

I can cook low carb meals, but what about lunch box snacks? He takes a lunch with him every day. (He's a construction worker, so he needs lots of food for the energy his job requires.) Any ideas what kind of things would be good for break time for a hard-working slow-eating thin hungry hubby?

I have been sending cheese sticks and cookies and protein/granola bars for break. And I can keep on. I guess I have been wondering if it's feasible to go completely low carb for both of us, do we will both be eating the same kinds of food, or if that's out of the question. What do the rest of you do? Thoughts? Comments? Questions?

I have a bean pole too! He can’t do low carb. We’ve tried. He is fine with white rice pretty much daily, which I can take or leave. My NUT says keep some rice cooked for him, and he can eat what I have with it.
  • gettingdownto150
    Options

I have a bean pole too! He can’t do low carb. We’ve tried. He is fine with white rice pretty much daily, which I can take or leave. My NUT says keep some rice cooked for him, and he can eat what I have with it.

Hey thanks! That is exactly what I have been wondering if will happen to us if we try low carb together! I could do something like you do, tho! Maybe make 1 dish of carbs for him at each meal. Not sure what about the homemade cookies he loves in his lunch tho. That may depend on my strength and will power each week.
  • Lizakabibbis
    Lizakabibbis Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I have a fiance and a 17 year old son. I follow a low-carb lifestyle but they don't. Most of the time in addition to my protein I eat riced cauliflower, roasted radishes, spaghetti squash, or zucchini noodles especially if they are having rice or pasta.

When it comes to packing lunches my son of course buys his lunch at school but outside of dinner we typically graze so I keep boiled eggs, deli meats, almonds, pecans, macadamia nuts, pickles,cheese sticks, raw veggies, berries and stuff like that on hand for him and I to take for lunch. Leftovers are always a great idea if he has the ability to warm up food.

Since surgery we eat pretty basic especially since I do most of the grocery shopping and cooking. I will tell you - I keep Uncle Ben's in business with buying their 90 second rice packs for my crew hahaha
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    I do 95% of the cooking at my home

I choose which dish I want to cook for example spicy salmon
    I cook a pan of rice and i take my weighed portion ( around a tablespoon ) and serve the rest to the 2 kiddos and the 6ft skinny man

He likes sandwiches at lunch as does the oldest child, the baby has whatever he feels like ( usually mama's milk ) and i eat a chicken salad

Brekkie everyone else eats porridge while I have a coffee

It works for us. I refuse to cook separate meals but appreciate they still want the carbs

He doesn't snack at all so have to fit his calories and macros into his 3 meals
  • gettingdownto150
    Options
    I have a fiance and a 17 year old son. I follow a low-carb lifestyle but they don't. Most of the time in addition to my protein I eat riced cauliflower, roasted radishes, spaghetti squash, or zucchini noodles especially if they are having rice or pasta.

When it comes to packing lunches my son of course buys his lunch at school but outside of dinner we typically graze so I keep boiled eggs, deli meats, almonds, pecans, macadamia nuts, pickles,cheese sticks, raw veggies, berries and stuff like that on hand for him and I to take for lunch. Leftovers are always a great idea if he has the ability to warm up food.

Since surgery we eat pretty basic especially since I do most of the grocery shopping and cooking. I will tell you - I keep Uncle Ben's in business with buying their 90 second rice packs for my crew hahaha
    I do 95% of the cooking at my home

I choose which dish I want to cook for example spicy salmon
    I cook a pan of rice and i take my weighed portion ( around a tablespoon ) and serve the rest to the 2 kiddos and the 6ft skinny man

He likes sandwiches at lunch as does the oldest child, the baby has whatever he feels like ( usually mama's milk ) and i eat a chicken salad

Brekkie everyone else eats porridge while I have a coffee

It works for us. I refuse to cook separate meals but appreciate they still want the carbs

He doesn't snack at all so have to fit his calories and macros into his 3 meals

Thanks! Sounds like both of you ladies have some grab ideas for me! I surely do appreciate it!
  • Trailtramper74
    Trailtramper74 Posts: 135 Member
    Options

Hey thanks! That is exactly what I have been wondering if will happen to us if we try low carb together! I could do something like you do, tho! Maybe make 1 dish of carbs for him at each meal. Not sure what about the homemade cookies he loves in his lunch tho. That may depend on my strength and will power each week.

I stopped baking for him except on special occasions. I buy him cookies at a higher end grocery store. They are almost as good, but he only gets them a couple of times per week.
  • gettingdownto150
    Options

I stopped baking for him except on special occasions. I buy him cookies at a higher end grocery store. They are almost as good, but he only gets them a couple of times per week.

That may be a very good idea. Thanks!

Before surgery, i did a lot of baking and cooking and put things in my freezer. So now hubby has been pulling out homemade caramel rolls and banana muffins and burritos and pizza pockets, etc. So far it doesn't bother me. But I do know that the smell when I actually bake/cook sometimes can be almost an overpowering temptation!
  • ruqayyahsmum
    Options

That may be a very good idea. Thanks!

Before surgery, i did a lot of baking and cooking and put things in my freezer. So now hubby has been pulling out homemade caramel rolls and banana muffins and burritos and pizza pockets, etc. So far it doesn't bother me. But I do know that the smell when I actually bake/cook sometimes can be almost an overpowering temptation!

If I'm baking cookies for the freezer I'll make sure I have my snack to hand while making, keep all doors shut and Windows open.

Once out the oven I leave the room and shut the door and stay in the living room while it cools then pop mints in my mouth while I package them up and put in the freezer.

They can then take out what they need to be eaten out of the house away from me

When I bake birthday cakes once the birthdays over I put them a piece each in Tupperware in the fridge and distribute left overs around the neighbours
  • ruqayyahsmum
    Options
    I also have a rule that the kids snacks are to be kept in a cupboard just for them. If they get stuff out to eat and abandon it on the counter, in the living room, in my car it goes straight in the bin no exceptions
    It didn't take them long to understand anything not in thier mouth or in its rightful place is plain hone
  • gettingdownto150
    Options
    Those are good ideas! I like the windows open idea for baking...except it's only 19° right now and bound to get a lot colder before winter is over!
  • Lizakabibbis
    Lizakabibbis Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Speaking of baking - I made a cream cheese pound cake for a work function today and it's taking every ounce of me to know dive mouth first into this cake! haha
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    You can also consider looking for alternatives for yourself. I've found low sugar, low carb recipe options that keep me feeling like I can have a treat too! I do have the added "benefit" of having done gastric bypass and dumping is a real thing for me so it is easier (although not always completely possible) to keep from putting the wrong things in my mouth.

I run distance and can't manage on a completely keto diet so I do some carbohydrates but limit them to things like steel cut oats, whole fruit, farro and avoid most breads, pasta, white rice etc. I can get just as sick from a piece of white bread as a cookie.
  • gettingdownto150
    Options
    You can also consider looking for alternatives for yourself. I've found low sugar, low carb recipe options that keep me feeling like I can have a treat too! I do have the added "benefit" of having done gastric bypass and dumping is a real thing for me so it is easier (although not always completely possible) to keep from putting the wrong things in my mouth.

I run distance and can't manage on a completely keto diet so I do some carbohydrates but limit them to things like steel cut oats, whole fruit, farro and avoid most breads, pasta, white rice etc. I can get just as sick from a piece of white bread as a cookie.

Hey thanks for the input! That might be a good idea! Before vsg, I was dabbling in low carb and was messing with replacing some pasta with zucchini, etc. However, I wasn't watching fat at that point, so things may be a little different now. I do want to try making lasagne with zucchini for the noodles, tho!

It will be interesting to see what other replacements I can come up with.

• melissaglover5823
    melissaglover5823 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I don’t cook two separate meals. You will learn to be creative with veggies. I have been blessed with a bean pole husband also but has been very supportive in our lifestyle changes.i had surgery 4 years ago, I have overtime have learned what my triggers are and try to find a healthy substitute to fulfill the craving.