Week 8 Daily Chat, Exercise, Discussion and Encouragement

Options
I know I'll need some extra support this week!

Replies

• OregonRunner5
    OregonRunner5 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    @corinasue1143 — how are you doing recovering from the surgery?

What is everyone doing for Thanksgiving this week? (Besides @Fyreside ! :-)

I’m cooking Thanksgiving dinner on Thursday but half of the family is out of town so it’s going to be a little light.
  • MmamabearR
    MmamabearR Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I have not had a big thanksgiving with all the family in a long, long time. I think I should tell my family we need to plan one. This year, it'll just be me and my husband, my son, mother-in-law, bro- and sister-in-law, and their four kids. Small. But we're frying up a turkey. I'm making my famous homemade dressing, mashed potatoes, and pecan and dutch apple pies. I'm not sure what my in-laws are cooking up, but as long as I have those few foods (plus cranberry sauce and rolls), I am good! Which reminds me, I need cranberry sauce!!
  • OregonRunner5
    Options
    @MmamabearR -- Oh snap, that sounds amazing. I want your pie recipe. Seriously. I love pie.

My son got on an airplane and accompanied his step-dad down to the South for a real Thanksgiving and he's just overwhelmed by the food, hospitality and nice people. I'm an only child, but my husband has 5 brothers and sister and then a few step, and it's a really solid family and they have a big acreage and cabin so it's going to be a good time for him.

I'm home alone so it's just me and the cat until Thursday when my daughter and Ranger Ben come over for turkey.
  • MmamabearR
    Options
    Happy Thanksgiving, y'all! I'll be glad to share my recipes, @OregonRunner5 , but why the separate thanksgivings? I hope you enjoy the time with your daughter.
  • explodingmango
    explodingmango Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Well, I've had a terrible past couple weeks for checking in on MFP, but am amazing couple weeks for progress. Won my first DietBet, making good progress in my program, did the Color Run with my boyfriend and two more obstacle courses (including my first 10K) and I'm currently sitting in a tree after my first 10K regular run waiting for the organizers to catch up to me because they didn't expect anyone to finish before the late start wave even started. To be fair, the early start wave was mostly for marathon and half marathon runners, and very slow 10k-ers...which I kinda thought I'd be since I was doing this more to relax than to challenge myself, but nope, turned out I finished in 1:04.

...kinda needed the stress relief because my father will be here in just a couple hours for Thanksgiving. It's a small gathering - just me, the boyfriend, and my father - but this is the day we officially announce our engagement, so it's a little nerve-wracking. I still have to clean the car out, and there are still areas of the house I have to pick up...I really just want my father to be more pleased than neutral about all this.

Will be back to update on how it goes!
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Happy Thanksgiving all!
  • OregonRunner5
    Options
    Just wanted to sign in and say Happy Thanksgiving :-)
  • explodingmango
    explodingmango Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Well, the announcement is made, my father - as usual - wasn't quite sure what to say but was at least supportive, so, I think it was a win? And now that he knows, I can start on telling the rest of the family...that is, again, nerve-wracking but exciting.

As for food - I cheated with Thanksgiving dinner. Planned to do that, "saved up" calories so I could do it without going off track too badly, still have mixed feelings about it though - on the one hand, god, I ate way more than I should have...on the other hand, holy crap, I'm getting used to smaller portions; I was full after...basically nothing compared to previous years' holiday binges.

So that's been my Thanksgiving. Hope everyone else has had a good one!
  • MmamabearR
    Options
    I had a very filling Thanksgiving. I haven't forgotten about the recipes. Actually, the pecan pie one is easy. I used the one on epicurious.com. I used real cream butter, not margarine, and I used salted. The apple one is more complicated cause I combined two different recipes to get the end. I'll post it later.
  • OregonRunner5
    Options
    @explodingmango -- yeah I had a similar experience to yours. I still ate too much and the wrong things but not as much as last year, probably not by half and I didn't munch my way through food all week long, just during dinner. I also skipped the bread rolls and stuffing (but had some pie - cause' for real: PIE.) haha

@MmamabearR -- I always use real butter, it's darn good! Haha, I used soooo much of it cooking Thanksgiving. Man.

I didn't go see all the relatives this year because my son and husband just travel better than I do. I'm very shy and I'm a super oober weird nerd and everything I talk about is obscure and annoys normal people and I have zero mastery of normal people small talk. I don't have cable tv, and I don't follow the news and I am not fashionable nor social, this is the only 'social media' I'm on - so I'm a pariah at events. So if I was invited to hike 15 miles straight up into the Rocky Mountains to obtain a sample of a rare moss or plant species, super exciting. I would have been so there. If I was invited to build a thing and work on a thing for the good of a park or nature or critter - done. But feeling trapped in a house with 35 strangers and nothing to talk to them about -- omg, my idea of h3ll. haha. Usually too, I just think everyone hates me. I might be on the autism spectrum and Aspergers. My daughter is very much on the spectrum and formally diagnosed. She's got the peculiar focus thing, as does my son, but it kinda works for us.

I always want things to make logical scientific sense - at all times. Everything needs a disciplined order to it. But I work in art and that is kinda a controlled chaos and in life nothing ever ever ever gets to be logical or move in a pre-ordained path. So I guess I'm always hoping to make patterns out of EVERYTHING all of the time and make sense of a world that never makes sense to me in any way. If I mess up, especially around other people or they make fun of me for messing up, it's absolutely mortifying. I'll be upset for weeks about it. And being awkward, oooh' man, I always get made fun of. I always think in my head that the 'normal' people are way better than I am. They don't seem to get so stressed out by stuff like I do and they do the 'social' without it getting too much, totally overwhelming, like -- they actually enjoy it. I don't have the area code to that. I spent so much of my life trying to overcome my anxiety and be normal because felt alien level different.

Everyday I read my book on Buddhism, meditate and try to be 'okay' with just being and not drive myself up the wall thinking and creating patterns in my head. It was a big risk for me to volunteer at the fort but I thought it would be a kinda safe space for me to interact with people and be useful. Even as an introvert you need friends and people time.

((On a nerdy note - found a death cap mushroom today, and took my DSLR Canon 50D into the woods and shot photos. Kinda a cool day! I was also up 4lbs this morning, but am really not eating much today.))
  • MmamabearR
    edited November 2017
    Options
    @OregonRunner5 OK, cool. I used to be way introverted myself, but something happened to me in college and I just got tired of caring what people think. I found myself another group of social outcasts and I had the most fun ever. I actually love being the awkward one. I thrive in it! It sucks being made fun of. I grew up with that. Now it just rolls off my back. I actually feel sorry for the person who pokes fun at me, because I feel that they are not comfortable with themselves. They have to look for flaws in other people in order to give themselves reassurance and that's just so sad.

I don't like social media either, but I do have a facebook. mostly it's for connecting with family and I'm mexican so I have A LOT of family. i am in no way organized, and I'm not very logical, but I am practical.

I can't relate with normies at all, and I don't follow much of what's going on in mainstream. If I find myself in a conversation with a group, I'm usually there about 2-3 minutes before I get bored and go off to find something else. Unless it's family. We have some quirky thing that I love so much, I could spend forever with my siblings and cousins. My husband is pretty much the same as me and often asks me if there is something wrong with us. I always tell him no. We just don't have the desire to spend time and energy on things and people that, in the long run, don't matter. It might sound cynical, and I'm not sure if we are or not. We love our family so that's where we keep our focus.

I had to look up Aspergers, because I'd only heard it once before but never knew what it was. The first time I heard it, someone was accusing all IT of having Aspergers. Maybe to the outsider, we do. But internally, we're all really cool with each other. It's the only time I can spend talking with a group that doesn't bore me.
  • OregonRunner5
    Options
    @MmamabearR - are you in IT? IT always rocks, they're the best. My husband is a network admin / programmer. :-)
  • MmamabearR
    Options
    Yes, I'm the software supervisor but I still help with hardware issues where I can. That's awesome that your husband's in IT, too. I admire programmers' ability to work with all that code and not go cross eyed. I've never been able to work with code. The software I work with is all end user.