3 Years

Options
wabmester
wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
edited November 2017 in Social Groups
MFP recently reminded me of my 3-year anniversary. And Kevin Hall reminded me that maintenance is a bear.

Here's Hall's recent article (free access for the next month or so):

Maintenance of Lost Weight and Long-Term Management of Obesity

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0025712517301360

Here's his model of typical weight regain vs successful maintenance:
1-s2.0-S0025712517301360-gr2_lrg.jpg

And, finally, here's your humble MFP member's 3-year weight chart:
7c8zvqaz5cqd.jpg

The jaggedness is due to the paucity of measurements in the last couple years. I would have liked to have kept off all the weight, but I'm very happy with where I am now. I'm definitely stronger than I was 3 years ago, so I'm hoping some of that weight gain has been muscle mass. :)

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Nice work wab. And I'm not just saying that because my weight loss followed the same pattern: lose 40lbs and regain 10 lbs. ;)
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I'm going into year 3, up a few lbs from my low. My DW attributes this to decreasing brain energy requirements... :/
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Haven't even done a year yet. Have felt myself wavering recently. But it just takes a step into this forum to remind me: I've got rid of all my big clothes. No way am I buying another wardrobe!!
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    Haven't even done a year yet. Have felt myself wavering recently. But it just takes a step into this forum to remind me: I've got rid of all my big clothes. No way am I buying another wardrobe!!

DO NOT WAVER!!!!!! Or of you do make sure it's just for a day or so then get straight back in there! DO buy new clothes but just make sure they are things you love; in your current size or a little smaller!!!
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options

I think if you were to go back and re-read all your own posts, you would feel honor-bound not to cheat, make excuses... or leave the house without a salt lick around your neck! :D
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    3.75 yrs for me.... Actually it's been 4 years this week since I decided to lose the extra pudge and started keto, 'graduating to low carb' for maintenance. I am within my maintenance range still (within 5 lbs of original goal.)

That's such excellent work, well done!!
  • Thundyrstorm
    Thundyrstorm Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Great work, very impressive, keep it up!!!
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    3.75 yrs for me.... Actually it's been 4 years this week since I decided to lose the extra pudge and started keto, 'graduating to low carb' for maintenance. I am within my maintenance range still (within 5 lbs of original goal.)

I checked my first login to MFP, it was July 6, 2013, so @ 4yrs. and 4 months. When I started out, I followed the Zone. Lost, gained, lost, gained, you get the picture. End of July 2016, I went Keto, using Atkins 20 Foodie Plan, Feb. 2017, I started IFing, April started extended fasts, by beginning of May, reached a few lbs. below my goal weight, maintaining below the original goal now for about 7 months.

I am so proud of all of us here that have either reached our goal, or will shortly.

• alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. Enlightening posts for my road ahead. I will bookmark this thread for periodic review.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the LCHF for a little over a year. I lost 40 lb with CICO before that and 65 lbs since. I adopted the keto diet as a way to help control BG, and it has worked well for me. I am still losing and not in maintenance. I see the keto diet as a long term strategy for me once I get to maintenance.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    2t9nty wrote: »
    I see the keto diet as a long term strategy for me once I get to maintenance.

It looks like the Hall article is now behind a paywall, but here's what he says about the drivers of weight regain:

Specifically, it has been estimated that for each kilogram of lost weight, calorie expenditure decreases by about 20 to 30 kcal/d, whereas appetite increases by about 100 kcal/d above the baseline level before weight loss.

IOW, he's saying the force driving increased appetite is 3-5X as strong as the reduction in EE, and both are driving you towards weight gain.

So what's the deal with those who can maintain weight loss? Hall argues that the secret is sustained effort. He says that your appetite will drive you towards regain, so you must restrict your intake at well below the level your brain directs you.

The only model of success Hall has is barriatric surgery, which obviously affects appetite.

I don't know about you guys, but I haven't made any attempt at restricting intake in the last couple years.

I've stayed low carb, and my appetite continues to seem pretty well regulated.

That's my long-winded way of saying "I think you're right -- stay low carb during maintenance." :)