Class and Practice Check in - Week of 11/20/2017

As martial artists who are also members of a WL and fitness website, it can be helpful for us to remain accountable to each other, and share training ideas.

Any time you participate in class, or practice out side of class, post here and let everyone know. You can write something as simple as "Went to sparring class... got my licks in", or get into as much detail on the practice as you'd like.

This post gets rebuilt every week, to remind us to approach each practice/training/class with a fresh perspective:

- It doesn't matter how hard you worked yesterday... what matters is what you do today.

Replies

• Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Had a really fun practice last night... it's amazing what 3 days rest will do to my energy levels! I half expected that I was going to be feeling "slow and sloppy" due to having barely moved over the weekend, but I was instead pleasantly surprised by how free and easy my body was moving!

I guess I was due for a rest.

After warm up, I did 2 sets of all techniques through 1st dan, then ran through all forms, then all 1-steps, full intensity and power, non stop. I was winded at the end, but felt strong throughout. Finished it off with some light stretching.

Feeling good this morning too - mildly sore in a few places, but nothing major.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Went to class last night and it was sparring, which I love because this is an opportunity to improve my weakest area.

I expected to learn various things last night, and indeed I did, but one thing I didn't expect to learn is that there is a small spot on the ankle, where footguard and shinpad meet, that will give you a deadleg if someone jabs their elbow into it while blocking you. Fascinating surprise anatomy lesson there!

This morning, a purple splodge marked the treasure spot. :grin:
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Hahah - yep - elbow blocks can be BRUTAL!
  • Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,578 Member
    Saturday morning fundamentals and then I helped one of the girls with some comp prep and remembered how much I loved it.
    Monday I did fitness at striking class then jits fundamentals.
    Tuesday I had a crazy idea and pushed super hard at class even though my legs were sore from the previous day's fitness.
    Wednesday I told my coach about my crazy idea and he thought it was a great crazy idea, so I registered to compete next Saturday (2 December!!!!)
    My main aim in this competition is proving to myself that I can compete and not end up in hospital with a concussion.
    My coach and team are super supportive of my reason for competing and there are a decent number of us going up so it will be a great team weekend. One other girl is competing and it is her first comp so she is super excited for me to be going as well!
    Thursday class was a beautiful choke from North-South. I always use that as a transition because I didn't know any chokes. This was also one of those techniques that I just picked up quickly and naturally found the way to do it smoothly and correctly. I love it when that happens.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Had sparring again, and had some advice from someone many grades higher than me. He was 100% right and now I need to put it into practice.

Hoping for sparring this weekend too, now!
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Good luck in your competition, @Dory_42!! I'll put it up on the calendar.. Shoot me the details if you'd like them posted there too.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    I organized an impromptu sparring class this morning - 7 of us altogether showed up. Not bad for 12 hours notice!

Since we had an odd number of people, we rotated 1 person out, so we each got a break every 7th round... We sparred for 45 minutes, 1 minute rounds, with 15 seconds rest between each round to find a new opponent.

Towards the end, we started working on specialty sparring- hands only, kicks only, south-paw, flow sparring... that kind of thing.

Then after, one of the students who is also a Yoga practitioner lead us through a 10 minute yoga cooldown.. which is when I learned that I don't much care for yoga.... then our resident BJJ instructor worked with us on a headlock escape.

All in all, a great day.
  • Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,578 Member
    I love yoga. I definitely see the benefits in my Jiu Jitsu if I do it regularly.
  • cobrajitsu
    cobrajitsu Posts: 5 Member
    Dory_42 wrote: »
    I love yoga. I definitely see the benefits in my Jiu Jitsu if I do it regularly.

The synergy is amazing. Best of luck in your practice.
  • Bianca42
    Bianca42 Posts: 310 Member
    At sparring class yesterday, my boys were promoted to blue belt. Unfortunately, I'm sidelined after a ridiculous foot injury. (I tripped over a picnic basket...who does that?) I've got an appointment with the ortho tomorrow and hopefully it will be a quick recovery. My instructor said that if I'm watching their classes, it shouldn't take too long to catch me back up to them.
    cub11w84c5uf.jpg
    n2024pn104ui.jpg
    c34089a1ykzp.jpg
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    edited November 2017
    Congratulations to your sons and... YOUCH - that does not look fun. I think that you will need to train in creative board breaking when you get back on the mats, in case you face a rogue picnic basket again. Heal fast, @Bianca42 !

• Out_of_Bubblegum
    Black belt class today, we did a bit of sparring, some stretching after, then an hour of gun disarms. My arms, shoulders and hands are toast.
  • LuizH
    LuizH Posts: 211 Member
    Congratulations to your boys @Bianca42. I hope you heal quickly. My boys and I all started together but because of various injuries along the way we have all progressed through the grades at different paces. The most important thing is that we still all get to train together, I think it's kept us close as they have become teenagers!
  • LuizH
    LuizH Posts: 211 Member
    I haven't been in to post much this week but I have still been training. Sensei is going to allow me to do some teaching on Monday nights, it's only an hour class and I will be able to take the junior grades to allow him to work with the seniors for a short part of each lesson. I'm looking forward to the new challenge, we have a small group of very keen youngsters in our Monday class, it will be a great experience being more involved in their training.
    We also have some talk in the club of setting up a squad particularly to work on kata for competition. I want to concentrate on kata once I reach first Dan so I am really excited to be included now as a lower grade.