Staying under 30g of carbs and still getting enough calories

Options
Fivepts
Fivepts Posts: 517 Member
Hi All,
I have a question. I'm having a hard time both staying under my 30g-50g of carbs and still getting 1200 calories. I am a 5'4 female and am fairly active. I know I need more calories because I'm 500 calories or so under most days. I understand that I should be eating 100g to 125g of protein a day. (125lbs is my healthy/goal weight). I realized milk and fruit shoot up the carbs. Help!

Replies

• kfbowden
    kfbowden Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee, so I will sometimes use heavy cream in my coffee instead of half & half. It has a lot more calories but no additional carbs.
  • pumasareace
    pumasareace Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    3 points you need to remember

- You can get calories from fat really easily as each gram of fat has 9kcals, so a 50g of butter, olive oil or coconut oil is 450 kcals. There is your missing 500 kcals :-)
    - If you want to actually get into ketosis then you will need to increase you fat intake and probably reduce your protein to about 60-70g to really get the body going and using up its glycogen stores.
    - Total carbs vs net carbs are important. Looks at how much fibre is contained in the food you eat as that can be deducted from your total carb intake as it isn't broken down into sugar. So something like broccoli has 50% of its carbs as fibre which is great as you can almost eat as much as you want and it wont really affect things too badly. You HAVE to eat fibre though as without it you can easily become constipated.

Hope that helps.