Fixing the Fade: Feeling Strong in the Final Miles of Your Marathon

Options
Orphia
Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
I followed the McMillan marathon recovery plan, and I think I'll be using their new article's advice as I lead up to my next marathon training period.

https://www.mcmillanrunning.com/fixing-the-fade-feeling-strong-in-the-final-miles/

Basic summary of the main plan of attack:

Reduce my "Long Run Delta" (the difference in distance between my average long run in the 6 weeks before marathon training and the longest run during my marathon training period). Preferably, the average long run before training should be only 10 km less than the longest long run in training. Plus the longest marathon training run should be as long as possible, say 24-28 slow miles (37-45 km).

The other tips they suggest are:

Add Four Fast Finish Long Runs to Your Plan

Add One or Two Super Long Runs.

=======

What do you think?

What are your tips on fixing the fade?

Replies

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Fast finish runs have always been what I hang my hat on. I feel like they teach your body to know that the worst is yet to come and probably to some extent your body learns to conserve fuel. I try to make all of my long runs fast finish to some degree. Some are very purposeful, where I try to push the pace to HM pace for the last 2-3 miles. Others I just try to make my last 4-5 miles faster than my average pace for the run.

Also, as much as I enjoy running my long runs with a group, when I am training for a marathon I try to do most of those runs alone for two reasons. First, it leaves you alone with your thoughts so it forces you to break down some of those mental barriers. But also because I think it's important to run at least one 20 mile run without taking stop breaks. My group likes to stop for a minute or more at least 2-3 times during a long run. The clock doesn't stop for a race, so if you are accustomed to stopping like this, you need to factor it into your overall plan. I don't usually stop during races, so I feel like I need to do that in training as well.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    I think more overall mileage is good. Having one or two medium long runs helps build endurance and means that the long run isn't too great a percentage of your total. That helps with both endurance and stamina.

I like what McMillan says about not having a big difference between your longest and average long run. When training on Higdon's plan I liked the cutback weeks a lot (he does 20, 12, 20, 12, 20, 12) because it made the whole plan feel not as hard since I knew I'd have easy weeks to look forward to, but I suppose it didn't make me as strong as I would have been with 20, 16, 20, 16 .

I wouldn't do the super long runs because I take a very long time to recover fully from marathons, and I would worry about not being able to finish my training well, or being fully recovered on race day.

I've never been able to do fast finish runs, mostly because I do all my long runs too fast. There's never anything extra in the tank in the last few miles. I feel like it's a good run if I don't bonk. If the paces for my last miles are close to my first miles, it's a win.

One thing I liked about Higdon's plans was doing a medium long MP run the day before the long run so I was doing it on somewhat tired legs. Some plans have a rest day the day before, which really doesn't prepare you for the final miles of a marathon. The plan I'm looking at now has a tempo run two days before the LR followed by a short easy day and then the LR. I think that would have a similar effect to doing a MLR the day before.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Nice points, @lporter229 and @spiriteagle99

I've only managed a couple of FFLRs. I'm usually pretty happy despite slowing down in the last stages. But hopefully improving.

I'm pretty much a solo runner. It's unusual if I run with anyone. Definitely agree about needing to break down mental barriers.

Not sure about the super long runs either. Maybe with a few more marathons under my belt I'll be able to.
    Perhaps that advice is more for people who have done ultras, but are training for a marathon. I haven't done more than one marathon.
  • Jeff_01022014
    Jeff_01022014 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    So far I've down a 50km training twice before marathons 2 weeks before race day. I think that they helped, but they are definitely an increased injury risk
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,014 Member
    Options
    There seem to be a lot of disclaimers in the Super Long Run section. It's definitely not going to be for every runner. Consider how your body recovers from the long runs you already do, as well as your previous marathon training and experience. For newer runners like me, it's probably not a good fit as the risks will outweigh the benefits. Another consideration would be your easy pace. How long is that super long run going to take you?
  • tmccutcheon
    tmccutcheon Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I think the reduction in the long run delta seems like a good idea. I run both marathons and 50K trail races every third month and I simply take a week off to recover and then get back to my weekly long runs. Typical long runs range from 16 miles to 24 miles with runs of between 8 and 12 the following day. This seems to work for me. I'll admit, though, that I do not run them very fast and most are on the trails and not the roads.