Surgery December 4th needing answer

Options
Hello y'all I fainlly got my surgery date after a whole year so happy I'm needing some help what do I need to have before going in monday I already have my biotin but haven't start taking due to reading it saying it can cause hair loss so I really dont know what to do please help me with some answers and feel free to add me

Replies

• Lizakabibbis
    Lizakabibbis Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I stocked up on gas-x strips, B12, protein shakes (seriously, every flavor because they get old fast). I had a heating pad to help with gas pains....umm it was pretty basic the first couple weeks. Chicken broth (I recommend bone broth as it tastes better and has protein).
  • Mrsjksmith1981
    Mrsjksmith1981 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Did you have any serious hair loss and I like vegetable broth chicken is nasty so is beef lol b12 that is what
  • takuwinds
    takuwinds Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Lap band post op 4 years
    I had hair loss. It was sad for me because my hair is thin to start with and then got so thin you could see my scalp. Then I used cover ups and prayed I didn't sweat or got caught in the rain other wise I would have black streaks dripping down my forehead. It grew back almost a year later but very curly. I also took vitamins daily and still do. I had trouble with gas also. Funny story, 3 weeks after surgery I bent over to pick up a pencil from the floor, when I bent over I let out a big burp. It was so loud, I sounded like an angry bear but the relief was so satisfiying. Good luck with your surgery and let us know how you are doing.
  • Lizakabibbis
    Lizakabibbis Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I had the sleeve and had hair loss. My hair is SUPER thick so it wasn't noticeable to anyone but me - but there were times I cried over it. Then just like magic at 6 months it stopped coming out. I think hair loss is inevitable.

Yeah, broth wasn't my favorite but I'd add hot sauce to it and call it a day haha! I just needed something savory because the constant sweet of the protein shakes got old fast.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Chewable multivitamins, pills wernt an option with my surgeon until at least 3 months post op
    Some people need to get thier regular medication prescribed as a liquid for a while too
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    B12 is vitamin b12
    I'm unable to absorb it orally and I have it injected 12 weekly as that's what is allowed under my countries health system. It's not enough for me so I have a spray to squirt under my tounge to try and stop me experiencing symptoms of deficiency between injections
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Hair loss is inevitable but biotin and niacin help it come back, not fall out.
  • Time4Nana
    Time4Nana Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    If you are on prescription medication you may want to buy a pill crusher. I use it to crush my blood pressure medications. Always check to make sure you prescription medication can be crushed, cut, chewed or dissolved before taking in one of those forms.
  • loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    MrsJKSmith19, don't pre-worry about anything. As long as you follow the guidelines you probably won't have any issues. If something does come up just get a hand on it early. Listen to your body and you'll be fine.
  • fit_chickx
    fit_chickx Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Thinking about you today. Hope you bounce back and heal quickly from surgery. Update us when you can.
  • Mrsjksmith1981
    Mrsjksmith1981 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hey y'all I don't know why my noticafaction didn't show up didn't know anyone answer to me and I thank y'all for the answer back surgery went great gas just crazy but I'm OK hating cause I can't lay in my bed my husband got me this chair and I so hate ugh but other that everything is good just hating doing the broth everyday can I have tomato soup
  • loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Mrsjksmith19, stick with what is on your surgeons recommended food list. The broth is boring but designed to put the minimum impact on your new stomach. Your stomach is swollen after surgery, think of it only being able to accommodate the thickness of a pencil, there isn't much room for anything other than clear liquids. Right now what you want is for your stomach to heal and for it to have a nice break from digesting foods until the swelling goes down. On your two week check up ask the doctor about the tomato soup.
  • Trailtramper74
    Trailtramper74 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Hair loss occurs in 40% of WLS patients.
  • takuwinds
    takuwinds Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad your surgery went well. Stay with the broth, clear liquids is very important right now.