Weekly Post - 27.11.2017 - 03.12.2017

Options
Meghan509
Meghan509 Posts: 1,974 Member
Good morning everybody!

Just a real quick one for now. Unfortunately, a little busy here so I can't do a big post at the moment. Will be back a little later! Just wanted to start the weekly thread.

Hope everybody is well and I will see you a little later this morning. :)

Replies

• ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Flying by to say hello to all. A co-worker had a death in his family, another is on vacation so I’m going to be working crazy/making hours this week and sleeping. Hopefully I can fit some exercise in (I walk 1.5 miles to work, so at least it isn’t horrible if I don’t get extra cardio in) but beyond two strength training sessions this week, not sure I’ll have any extra time.

All prepared with buckets of soup for my tues/thurs light days, so that is good.

Have I mentioned I’m a abstract artist/photographer? Here is one of my seasonal photos this year. Have a great week all!

cpqptno1l6pz.png

Cin Cin a tutti

Rye
  • Meghan509
    Options
    Hi all! I am back.

What a beautiful picture @ryenday I love abstract photography :smiley:
    Good luck with your busy week! You can do it!

I am armed with a new salad recipe for this week. Link is below. I had to motify it to be a little more low calorie and 5:2 friendly.
    I took out the dressing she used and put in my own low cal balsamic. I also removed the cashews and avocado. I used more fruit, 1 cup each, 3/4 cup of quinoa, and a fair amount of kale. I had about 3/4 of a bag left over so that was what I used for the salad. I made four servings. Might do a full bag next time as it gets less fluffy as you add in the dressing and start messing around with it. Looks awesome! About to dive in shortly and will let you know how it is.

https://www.simplyquinoa.com/tropical-kale-quinoa-power-salad/

Going to the gym again tonight and it will be weights for me. Still enjoying my new schedule. Hoping it works for me and helps me build some good muscles in the long run. Going to hop on the scale on Friday for a weigh in. Fingers crossed. :)

Drinking some water today and need to grab a green tea. Been too busy bah! Going to break for lunch shortly and then will check in with you guys later.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Hey all!

@ryenday very cool - do you have any other good ones to share?

@Meghan509 sorry you're busy - I've been busy all morning and just now had a chance to catch up on last week's thread and to get here.

I had a long weekend full of delicious food and sleep! Five days of not having to wake up at 5:15AM were glorious, but it made it really hard to get out of bed today :( Today is also a light day, my first one since last Monday, and it is HARD! I am 350ish calories in and am considering making it a 600-calorie day to sort of ease myself back in. In other words, I'll aim for 500 but won't be mad if I go over. I didn't grocery shop over the weekend, so I'm sort of short of good light day foods. I had a Greek yogurt and a protein bar because that's what I could put together on the fly this morning. Suffice it to say that planning is my friend!

I hope you all have a good day!
  • ryenday
    Options
    Oh, I always have some to share, lol, but I’ll restrain myself and post no more than one a week! Except, since you asked - a photo I took today on my way to work 383d6sw7mmg7.png
  • Meghan509
    Options
    Hi all!

Yesterday was a typical Monday after a short week. The week before was slow because it was a holiday and lots of people were off and the week before that, we were sort of winding down. Then yesterday - BOOM! *screams* Can you do this, that, and then this too?! Boo... LOL

Yes! It was nice to sleep in while being off, wasn't it @RBXChas I find that I can actually stay up later and am not as tired at night. I am definitely not a night owl and during the work week I find it hard to stay up past 10 or 10:30pm. My Mom says it is her fault for always keeping me to an early bed time when I was a kid. LOL

Ooooh so pretty @ryenday love that one!! I am a sucker for nature pics!

I hear you about the calories and doing what you can, especially on the first day back. Now that I am taking a lot of vitamins all these darn things add up and what used to be a low to mid 500 calorie light day is now in the 600's because of all the vitamins I take! UGH. Drives me nuts, but I am trying not to let it bug me because I really can't see how vitamin calories can harm me on a light day. They are nutrients and some of that or what we don't use / need is eliminated right? Sigh...

Yesterday's light day was good. Wasn't overly hungry or cold (my issue tends to be chills and not hunger)! And I had a good strength training work out at the gym. Tonight is cardio. Hoping to have a good week at the gym this week and I think the break was nice for me. I did not feel as burnt out or bored yesterday. My new lunch salad was good!

Speak to you guys soon!
  • ryenday
    edited November 2017
    Options
    My latest favourite light day concoction: frozen broccoli (gently steamed) with Raman flavor packet (chicken). A lot of sodium, but my home made soups ( generally my other light day food) have very little, so I'm still good!

Yeah, light day here. :smiley:
  • Meghan509
    Options
    That sounds tasty! Drink your water to help "wash away" some of that sodium. :wink:

Does anyone else get tempted to shop for themselves with all these Cyber Monday and Tuesday, etc. deals going on? Jeez. So many sales! Must. Say. No. :o I honestly don't have much holiday shopping to do since I have a small family and some of us don't exchange or in some cases I have their gifts already bought / in mind... But, I do love to shop. Sigh...

Been looking at the calendar here and can't believe our office holiday luncheon is coming up next Friday! Jeez... Then I'll be in the office one more full week. The week after it will be short week and we'll be heading down to FL to see family. Where has the year gone?

This week, the week of the 4th, and the 11th will be typical 5:2 weeks for us. Then the week after that is short one so we will be on a diet break again. We will be able to eat sensibly and exercise while we are off for the holiday Christmas and New Years break. Crazy how time has flown!

Would love to lose a little more weight before Christmas and New Years - Fingers crossed!!! :p
  • ryenday
    Options
    So this is a first that I’m happy to report! I had a light day today and it is just before bedtime. And I am not hungry at all! Whether my body is just getting used to a couple of days being very light or I chose wisely in my eating today, I don’t know.

I am becoming convinced, however, that I should just have pretty much a set meal plan for the two light days. Whereas I cannot stand pre-planning meals, generally, it does seem to make all the difference on the light days. And since it is only the light days that I’m planning, I don’t feel so fenced in.

At this point the best I feel on light days is when I have soup and broccoli for lunch and different soup and broccoli for dinner. Add in some protein powder “creamer” in my coffee and I’m done. And this is working fine, but I’m pretty sure I will not ever eat soup or broccoli on non light days!

Hope everyone’s doing well this week! @meghan509 I am with you! It is amazing to realize that this is already December!
  • jknight001
    jknight001 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Sorry I have been MIA. I had abdominal surgery as a child which means I am prone to small bowel obstructions. They don't happen often but when they do they sometimes they land me in the hospital for some intestinal R&R. So I have been taking a mini-vacation the last couple of days courtesy of Kaiser Permanente, so to speak. I am back, a little sore, but feeling much better. And I apologize in advance if this is in the TMI category. But I figure for me it doesn't get any more personal than sharing my weight struggles so no problem for me to add my intestines to the mix. :lol:

Tomorrow will be a regular day for me. Not sure what I will do with my regular fast day and with my exercise. Probably go light until I fully recover. One day at a time.

@ryenday - loved the pics, especially the leaf. So beautiful how you brought out the colors.

@Meghan509 - sounds like you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. We went to our dear neighbor's house and had good food and good friendship. Was all I could wish for. Hopefully we can all move a little closer to our weight goals before the end of the year?

@RBXChas - I know what you mean about the change in schedule. Love this time of year for the flexibility it brings. Don't have to rush off to things so early in the morning. It is beautiful.

Quick hello to @mamainthekitchen, @Marmitegeoff, and @KateNkognito. Hope you all are doing well.

My big goal for this time of year is not to stress. Wondering how you all keep it cool?
  • RBXChas
    Options
    @jknight001 I'm sorry to hear of your medical issues! I would definitely take it easy until you recover.

@ryenday that is a great thought about having a fixed menu for light days. I think that's the way to go for me because I can't just "wing it". I think planning also gives me something to look forward to if I can make that day have something special that other days don't have. I definitely need to think about that.

@Meghan509 I'm with you - this week, next week, and the week after are going to be regular weeks. Then the week before Christmas through New Year's I think I am taking a break from 5:2. That doesn't mean I'm going off the deep end, just taking a "diet break". It's more disheartening for me to try to diet and fail then to just agree not to diet and then get back on the horse come January, plus I am usually motivated right after Christmas/New Year's to get back on it.

I have kind of fallen off the wagon with running since I finished Couch to 5K a couple of weeks ago. Even when I've been very fit, I've never been a big fan of running. Spinning is my thing, but the studio I loved closed, and gyms around me are either way too much money, too far away, and/or don't have classes that suit my schedule. I used to have a Spin bike at home but couldn't stand doing it by myself! My husband and I have been trying for a couple of years to figure out how to get a weight set at home to begin heavy lifting, but in the meantime, do any of you have any good ideas for at-home workouts? I think the only thing I've ever done consistently in my life was Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds (back in the early 2000s), and I suppose I could do that again, but something fresh would be nice. (Please no Jillian Michaels.) I could just do fast walking outside, and I may still do that, but I would still love some suggestions. Thanks in advance!
  • RBXChas
    Options
    Oh, and @jknight001 how do I keep it cool? We just keep Christmas low-key. We don't do anything with family on Christmas, except maybe dinner at my sister's house if they're in town (they live a couple of streets over). Thanksgiving is the one big holiday that we do with family. My husband and I are both introverts, so we don't tend to have big New Year's plans, and given how much our business consumes our life, we are happy to take the time to just decompress rather than go to some party that exhausts us and forces us to spend money we don't want to spend.
  • ryenday
    edited November 2017
    Options
    RBXChas wrote: »

It's more disheartening for me to try to diet and fail then to just agree not to diet and then get back on the horse come January, plus I am usually motivated right after Christmas/New Year's to get back on it.

@RBXChas This is SO true for me! And it has taken me years to understand what it means and how to work it to my advantage. I think your plans for December, therefore, are wise. Mine are similar, I will ‘diet break’ the last two weeks. To me this is: keeping up exercise (but maybe swim only one or two times that week instead of three or four) still doing 5:2 (and 16:8), but relaxing my weekly calorie allotted to my projected maintenance. X-mas eve and day will be freebies for me - anything goes but don’t make yourself sick.

@jknight001 it will be a challenge to ‘keep it cool’ because I host Christmas this year for 12 adults and three teenagers. But honestly I’m looking forward to the Christmas craziness. My mom died a few years ago and I’ve been in a bad place since then. This is really the first Christmas spirit I’ve had since I lost her. I am going to try to enjoy doing all of the Christmasy things - It is not likely that I’ll be hosting again, as the nieces are growing up - they really aren’t so far from having their own families so this ‘tradition’ is probably coming to an end. ... Wow I just reread that paragraph and it sounds kind of depressing – that is not what I want to say at all, I am really full of Christmas spirit and enjoying the season very much this year for the first time in a long time!

And @jknight001 do take it slow! That sounds like quite an ordeal and you probably will be well served to ease back into the swing! Glad you are on the mend!

@RBXChas Home workout: for strength I liked Mark Lauren YAYOG (bodyweight exercise - apps and books) but my disabilities did not let me stick with that program- maybe someday. For cardio, well, it is a bit embarrassing but I am totally in love with my rebounder (mini trampoline). Sometimes my sessions are just jump and play, sometimes I modify Zumba moves I see in you tube videos, and sometimes it is a jumping jack/ marching fest. It always feels like I’m cheating tho, it is too much fun to count as exercise.

I think your spin cycle would be perfect for some Quick HIIT sessions, too.

Also, I think I’m going to try to come up with two basic types of light day meal menus. My Soup and broccoli meal and something else. That way I can stay in control, yet have some choice. I’m going to peruse Meghan’s recipes and see if I can find something that sounds good that I can freeze for reheating like I do with the soups and broccoli meal.

@Meghan509 I admit, I purchased an indulgence or two while X-mas shopping on line. My job is giving us a small amount of financial wiggle room, my weight is down almost 40lbs and I’m pretty happy right now. So, I really wanted that scarf and well fitted shirt I can wear to work! Lol. On the other hand, except for a few necessary purchases like shoes that were not falling apart, I haven’t just splurged on something for myself in ages - so I refuse to feel guilty.

I’m not going to focus on weight loss this December but sure would be glad to see the scale move down too, Meghan!

I also send my greetings to @mamainthekitchen, @Marmitegeoff, and @KateNkognito. Hope y’all are doing well.

Cin Cin a tutti!

Rye
  • Meghan509
    Options
    Good morning everybody!

@ryenday congrats on not being hungry on a light day! That is awesome! Good for you.
    Yes, I am with you on my fasting days I like to plan otherwise I worry that I will go over on my calories.
    Hoping this Xmas season is a nice one for you and your family. Hugs re: your Mom. <3

@jknight001 so sorry to hear about your intestinal issues! No, not TMI at all... I have had my fair share of GI issues, and they are no fun. Glad you got to enjoy some yummy turkey and the holiday with your friends! Ours was nice too. So nice to be with good friends during the holidays! Keep us posted on how you are feeling. Take care of yourself and get back on 5:2 wagon when you feel up to it. We are all here for you. Don't stress!

Here is what I do to stay sane during the holidays - make lists... If it is stuff to make, stuff to buy, stuff to do, stuff to pack for our trip, a reminder, etc. I find it helps keep me sane and less stress. Also try and plan ahead if you can (if you can help it), waiting to the last minute causes stress for me. i.e., finding out what type of gifts my nephew can use and purchasing them ahead of time and shipping them down before we leave. Takes some of the headache out of having to pack gifts and worrying about the TSA opening stuff, etc. :(

@RBXChas I googled exercise DVDs for women to get some ideas because I am always curious about at home workouts too. I came up with a link (below) and beware there are some Jillian Michaels in there LOL but some good names that might help? I am familiar with Denise Austin, I think I have an old diet book of hers! The Cardio Pump looks kind of fun! Kathy Smith also rings a bell. I think she is another well known one. She might be good. Jackie Warner is a cool chick. I also have her book. Can you tell I like to buy diet and exercise books?! LOL A billion years ago I did the "Buns of Steel" video and it helped me get down a whole jeans size. Exercise DVDs are awesome!

http://www.womansday.com/health-fitness/workout-routines/advice/g440/10-best-fitness-dvds-104111/?slide=1

Hi to all the others as well! Hope everybody is good. :) I am going to run now and get back to work.

Looking forward to another regular day today. Light Day on Thursday. Funny thing is I inputted my Mom's pecan pie recipe in to MFP and it comes out to like 200 calories per piece! CrAzY! We divide the pie in to eight servings. Had a piece last night for dessert and will probably have another tonight. Sticking to 1350 calories on regular days, as I think that is what works for me. Time will tell!

See you all later!
  • KateNkognito
    KateNkognito Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    Hey, y'all! Crazy times here! These days between the holidays are... well, let's just say my job is definitely not boring this time of year. :p
    Fasting? What fasting? Part of me wants to just throw it all put the window until after the holidays, but the sensible part says if I want to make my goal, I have to at least maintain. And that means fasting and laying off the chocolates at least a little.
    I feel bad that I don't have time to comment to everyone, but I need sleep and I am pretty sure one of the little darlings over shared their germs. Keep up the good work! Happy fasting!
  • Meghan509
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

Crazy AM at the office, so a quick post for now. Today is a fasting day for me. Got a big water and a green tea sitting here in front of me. I am liking the lunch I have - the kale salad. Probably going to make it for next week too, maybe a little less dressing and some more kale and maybe if I do less dressing I can afford the calories to put in some of the raw cashews. Yummy.

Hoping to get to the Mall at lunch today, if all goes well. We shall see.

Hope you have a nice one. Going to the gym tonight for cardio. Weights were last night. I do like the weight routine a lot, I feel like I am finally getting the hang of it and it is giving me a good work out and getting my heart beat up. Hopefully the scale likes it too!

See you all a little later.
  • ryenday
    Options
    Light day here too! Roasted carrot soup with ginger and cucumber salad for lunch. Raman flavored broccoli and minestrone for dinner.

November gave me 5.2 lb weight loss - less than October but still double the rate I lost per month pre 5:2. I find that pretty shocking, I lost in two months 5:2 the same weight I lost in 5 months regular dieting. Approx the same weekly calories for all those months!

I have 12 lb to lose to make it into Normal BMI for my height. My goal is to get there before end of February- obviously earlier would be good. Still thinking of going on modified Blood Sugar Diet for January. That would be a 5:2 version with potatoes. (Eliminating potatoes from my diet is always hangry making for me, probably my hearty Irish peasant genes kicking in s.). So I’d keep 2 500 cal days and then do Mediterranean +potatoes the other days.

I don’t know what my subsequent goal is, probably to find a happy/maintenance weight. But this goal first!

Have a good fast day, y’all who are fasting today!

• Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Hi All you all seem to be doing well, I had upped my walking after my pacemaker implant but developed tendonitis, so that has had to go for a bit. Had a week with the grandchildren lot of fun but too much to eat along with some Baklava, so good but calorie count is through the roof. but only 2kg up so back on it today.

As pics are the thing here is my take on autumn in the UK.
    0qf14uk2uqef.jpg
  • ryenday
    Options
    My husband forgot it was my light day and started cooking some Chicken Tikka Masala last night. He did remember that I don’t like Curry’s made with cream, however and substituted coconut milk. I had about 280-350 calories left, so I ate the chicken for dinner. Yummy! I will input the recipe into MFP today, but I think it might just make the light day cut if I forego the sauce and rice. (No hardship here, I love the flavorful chicken but don’t need sauce and rice to feel satisfied).

It is DECEMBER! Gagh and YAY - lol I may have a split personality on this one, lol.

Hoping y’all doing well! And that you had a good fast day yesterday for those who fast on Thursdays. :)
  • Meghan509
    Options
    Good morning everybody,

I am down .2 pounds this morning. Not impressed to say the least but not going to go on and be negative.

Disappointed with my November losses of a whopping two pounds. See ya November. Don't let the door hit ya on the you know where. :( Yes, I took a week off - the week of November 20th and I am glad I did because I think I was at a plateau via mind and body. I have mixed things up this month with my exercise, adding in three days of upper and lower body strength training instead of sticking with six days of cardio. I feel like I am finally getting in to a groove with the weights and they are making my heart rate go up when I do them. Takes time to find a mix that works. It WILL take time to see changes with that. Also added in some new food this week and liked that a lot. I really busted my rear on the treadmill last night with jacking the treadmill up on a high incline to try and get a good burn and sweat. TOM acting up too, sorry to any guys reading this. Water weight may be happening. Who knows. I give up in that dept. :(

Need to look at the big picture here. Down almost 70 pounds since I started this journey back in February of 2012. Had plenty of bumps along the way. Grateful to have you all with me on this 5:2 journey. Going to stay focused and clear headed and keep doing what I am doing. Probably also should focus on inches, and the fact that I haven't measured but my clothes are much different and looser. My size 10's are comfy if not loose people are paying me lots of nice compliments, lately which is very sweet... So even if the scale isn't moving as much inches are probably coming off.

Okay enough ranting. I am done. Moving on. My goal for December is to try and get in to the upper 160's and maintain my weight during Christmas and New Year's. That might not seem like much, since I am stitting at 170.8, but with the way things have been going lately and the amount of time I have left before the week of 12/18 when I need to take another diet break due to the holidays, I think that is fair. Anybody else have any December goals they want to share?

@ryenday congrats on your November losses! Great job!

@Marmitegeoff love that picture! Fall in the UK ahhh... Are you excited about the upcoming Royal Wedding?! I love Meghan and the fact that she spells her name right. :#

I am looking forward to the weekend. Been a CrAzY week at work. Today is finally getting back to normal.

Hope you have a nice one!

• Meghan509
    Options
    Chicken tikka masala is my favorite!! I love it with coconut milk! YUMMY! I make a lot of recipes from the site Skinnytaste and I believe she has one that is low calorie that I make often. So good! Glad it worked out for you, @ryenday