Replies

• RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Fascinating read.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I think my gray hair has reduced since being keto instead of low carb. I need to like take compare photos or something, it just seems like it when I look in the mirror.

I started going gray at 20...my grandmother was completely gray by 40...I have some streaks, but nowhere near totally gray...I don't know about my mother since she's been coloring her hair since her 20s.
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    To be honest I think it's genetics! I had a streak of white hair at the front by my early 20s, lots of my family do but equally lots of us don't actually go grey except for this! My aunts and uncles died in their 80s and hardly had any grey hair. I'll keep double checking the white streak though and see how/if it goes, literally!!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Maybe I am over doing the coconut oil since my hair seems to being more the color of cool coconut oil. I expect KETO can be a factor in hair color of some.
  • __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the greying, but I've had two compliments on my hair health in the past week, after nearly 6 months keto. It was dull and fine before, and it feels shinier and more full now.
    :)
  • Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Well I been Keto for over a year now and my hair is still white. Like all over white. But I am good with that. I use to pay a lot of money for this hair color when I was young. Got me into bars! ;)
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    Having very little hair on my head, it is hard to tell if the low carb diet has had any impact. I claim no for me.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    2t9nty wrote: »
    Having very little hair on my head, it is hard to tell if the low carb diet has had any impact. I claim no for me.

Ok, is your scalp going darker....? :D
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    2t9nty wrote: »

Ok, is your scalp going darker....? :D

I like the way you think. You have to find victories where you can sometimes.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I'll be honest, this looks like a pretty big misrepresentation of low carb dieting at least as far as the title goes. The only potential mechanism mentioned would be tyrosine deficiency with no attempt to quantify it whatsoever.

And so suggesting that it has anything to do with high carbs seems disingenuous.

• AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I seem to remember reading that the better factor was not only fewer carbs but more protein.... I'm trying my damnest to find the link....
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    I seem to remember reading that the better factor was not only fewer carbs but more protein.... I'm trying my damnest to find the link....

Yep, have to agree with @AlexandraCarlyle ...for me personally, I noticed a correlation not so much with regard to the low carb, but definitely a distinct correlation to the increased protein!
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Umm based on my photo, Low Carb not only keeps away the gray but recinds the hairline too! Ugghhh
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I started turning a little gray a few years ago. Late 50s. I'm 63 now and still don't have that much gray hair compared to my friends of my age BUT I suspect that my hair will rapidly turn gray during the next few years as did my Mom's and Grandma's. Genetics.

I dunno. This guy looks pretty gray (and balding) and he's not eaten carbs for 50 years or something like that. Or maybe I have the wrong guy. :/

https://zerocarbzen.com/the-bear/