December 4 Sign In

Options
RangerRickL
RangerRickL Posts: 8,469 Member
Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes?
Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day?
Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank?

Replies

• SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,385 Member
    Options
    Exercise is done this morning. Oh boy am I in a heap load of pain. Presently I am not as stiff but I won't be wearing heels today. It's all in my lower back and pelvis and hip area. Yep just way too heavy .

We have a couple older men who look just like Santa who do it during the holidays. Could you imagine being married to a man that looked like Santa? According to Santa Larry there are woman that actually have a thing for Santa and he gets hit on a lot. Ok I was laughing to the point of tears at his stories because it has to be the suit because really it's Santa.
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    Just a quick topic for today. Exercise/Activity. It's not about having time, but making time.

We are all busy, and have the same number of hours in a day.

We all need sleep, so sacrificing sleep for exercise/activity is of limited return.

How do you structure your day to get time for the 20 mins of activity for UAC?

I usually try find a slow time in the work day to get out and walk. If that is not possible, then I take a lunch break and walk through that.

If I get a chance to go to be early, that is when I do most of my bodyweight strength exercises (as they don't need a gym - in fact I usually use the bathroom and use the bathmat and towel as floor cushioning).

How do you make time?
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    December 4
    Exercised?: Yes. 9.7km in 80 mins (hills)
    Calories?: Yes
    Tracked?: Yes

Went into the office to pick up fitbit today. Because of track works, 10km of track was replaced by busses. Adds 30 minutes onto the normal train journey. After picking up the fitbit, walked the 10km instead of catching the bus. (Google estimated 120 minutes walking time - HA!!)

Somehow the Fitbit thinks I did only 8100 steps to cover 9.7km. this would give me a stride length on 1.2m (1.197m or 3"11'). Somehow I don't think so. I think the fitbit is missing steps and a brief search on the net says this is not uncommon for the model I am borrowing. Undercounting by as much as 40%. Common solution is to wear it in pocket when walking. Will try that tomorrow.

@Anya_000. asked yesterday what Pavlova was to which I replied.
    craigo3154 wrote: »
    Anya_000 wrote: »
    @craigo3154, OK, I finally have to ask, what is a Pavlova?

@Anya_000. Best description I have found is:

Pavlova is a meringue-based dessert named after the Russian ballerina Anna Pavlova. It is a meringue dessert with a crisp crust and soft, light inside, usually topped with fruit and whipped cream.

9o2kupv86nqs.jpeg

As I am not a big fruit eater, the ones we have a topped with whipped (Chantilly) cream chocolate and peppermint (Peppermint crisp - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peppermint_Crisp)

To make:
    • Beat 5 egg whites till they form soft peaks (can tip bowl upside down and nothing comes out).
    • Slowly add in 1.5 cups of castor sugar while still beating keep beating till all grittiness is gone from mixture.
    • Beat in 2 table spoons of corn flour.
    • Beat in 1 teaspoon of white vinegar.
    • Beat in 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla essence.
    • Spoon mixture onto baking tray making a rough cake shape (use grease proof paper base, otherwise will stick to tray - no need for cake tin)
    • Bake in low oven (120C/250F) for 90 minutes (we do 115 minutes for thicker meringue crust).
    • Allow to cool in oven for a couple hours.
    • Top with 8 - 10 fl oz of whipped heavy cream or whipping cream (for chantilly cream add vanilla essence and sugar)
    • Add toppings to suit.

Serves 8-10 (or about 4 of me :) ).

(This is all from memory :) - actual published recipie I could find that was closest to what we do at home here is:
    http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/pavlova-3/e62d3cc8-a69d-4ae3-8a6d-5226751a274d)

The challenge is for any of you not trying to actively lose weight to try make one and tell me what you think.

If you use actual corn, corn flour (some are made from wheat - go figure), then it is also gluten free (Yay!!!)

The sugar and cream make it sweet and calorie dense, so be careful with portion sizes (unless you are way under, or on a planned pass day).
  • Anya_000
    Anya_000 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    @craigo3154, Wow, thanks for posting the Pavlova! I'd never heard of, nor seen, such a thing. It looks and sounds delicious. Definitely something to try on a pass day.
  • cardio_enthusiast
    cardio_enthusiast Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    3-Dec-2017

Late post:

Exercise: yes, I did a 13km morning walk with my neighbour. We are preparing for a 1/2 marathon walk in spring 2018. So far, so good!
    Calories: yes, I was under
    Tracking: yes, everything

As far as Christmas traditions...it's really a potpourri of events, at this point. A lot of it is based upon visiting with friends and family. Joyous gatherings!

I was born in an equatorial African country, grew up in Canada, currently live in the US, and my life partner is Norwegian. We end up amalgamating aspects of each culture.

It's a lovely time, and it brings a smile to my face.
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Dec 4 th sign in.

Despite a man extremally trying day I've largely stuck to my goals.

Food and calories all logged and within allowance.
    30 minutes walk, just made it through.
  • BadgerLamb236
    BadgerLamb236 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    3 x Yes again today, including a 4km walk inc. hills. Lovely bright crisp day again, but the light covering of snow has now gone.

As I am retired I really have no excuse for not fitting in some exercise, but as it doesn't come naturally to be I have to make the effort not to let the day get away from me. If I am walking at this time of year I tend to aim for about 14:00 or so, after the day has warmed up but before it starts to get dark. I like to do Pilates mid-morning.
  • oykucan
    oykucan Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Exercise: Yes. (60 min walking)
    Calories: Yes.
    Tracking: Yes.
  • am_change
    am_change Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Pass 1. Calories over. Exercise iffy.

Like today's picture of you and Rose@RangerRickL

@craigo3154 I agree that it's good to plan. However there are some days when everything goes against you and in my opinion we need to forgive ourselves and not be too harsh when that happens. Today was one of those for me. I had to leave work less than an hour after arriving to pick up my daughter who was ill and look after her for the rest of the day. She came first, not me fitting in exercise, so yes I tried my best but it wasn't great. Days like today happen and I'm OK with that. I ended up making some poor food choices though when I managed to eat which I did have control over so I'm less pleased about that.
  • am_change
    am_change Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Oh and @craigo3154 I would stick with using your Fitbit in the same way for a few days. I had the same problem where in the first uses first it over estimated and then underestimated. Maybe I'm giving it more intelligence than it has, but it was like it was getting to know me and my gait. Now after months of use it's pretty accurate. I sometimes count a hundred steps in my head and it's usually right plus or minus one or two.
  • nnoodles22
    nnoodles22 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Date: December 4
    Exercise: yes, 10,000 steps
    Calories: yes
    Tracked: yes
  • cardio_enthusiast
    cardio_enthusiast Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    4-Dec-2017

Exercise: yes
    Calories, yes, under my limit
    Tracking: yes, everything
  • fightingthetideofaging
    Options
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Yep, 30 minute Cardio Drumming class in the morning, and a 45 minute Cardio Drumming class in the evening.
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yep
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? Yep
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,190 Member
    Options
    Dec. 4
    Exercise- yes 40 minutes walk- over 11,000 steps today
    Calories- yes under limit
    Tracking - yes
  • amazsplendor
    amazsplendor Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Started off rocky.. ended that way..Lesson learned!

Pass 1
  • glimjy
    glimjy Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Exercise: yes. Pilates, weights, and rowing.
    Calories: under and actually met my protein macros.
    Logging: all done

I have found if I workout within an hour of getting up I am much more motivated than waiting until evening. Although I have started doing my rowing machine in the evening do I can make sure I have the calorie deficit that I want to end the day with. Like an insurance policy. :)
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    Since my life has been slightly hectic for this month thus far, I'm going to exit the challenge for Dec. I'll be joining again in Jan. Wishing everyone the best.
  • Luxyp
    Luxyp Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Exercise: 5 mile run
    Calories: yes - under 1200
    Tracking: yes