Metabolism on Keto

Options
Some Background. I lost about 25lbs eating less and went from 250 to 225 back in Nov 2015. I maintained until Aug 2016 when I put the weight back on. I had been trying to lose but it was hard to try to eat right. I like eating chips, cheese popcorn, bagels, pasta, etc. For me it wasn't sweets, I just couldn't give up eating my popcorn and doritos. I would buy them if I passed them in the store.

I did a dexa scan on Nov 24, 2017 to get an accurate body fat and it was at 55.7% and my weight was 256lbs. I was mortified. I'm 5'5" and put on weight from three pregnancies, in 2009, 2011, and 2014. I also did a RMR testing by breathing in a tube for 20 minutes. That said I am 6% under a normal metabolism. So I burn 110 calories less that what is predicted for my weight/height/age. It said maintenance was at 1927 calories per day. The lady that did the scan/rmr was great and encouraging and gave me some references for low carb & keto. I started the next day. The first three days were not too bad. I did have cravings for my vice foods, but knowing that I was so bad off really helped me to stick to it. I am 248.8lb today after 1 week and I know it's mostly water weight but at least it's something.

I have been varied in my calories the past week 1700,1500,1500, 1200, 1500, 1400, and 1200. I kept carbs under 30 for the first three days, then about 20 for the last four days. I am rarely hungry which help me plan my food. I was worried about my metabolism slowing down so I thought that I need to keep my calories up and varied. What I'm having a hard time figuring out is how much I should eat? Could I be losing more fat if there is a bigger need to tap into my fat stores by eating around 1300 calories and keeping my carbs to around 20g? I don't want my metabolism to slow down anymore that it has.

Replies

• RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" but in order for me to get rid of the final 15 lbs that loved to hang onto my midsection (sigh) I was eating 1350 cal per day at 20 or less NET carbs. That worked for me. Hang in there. There are folks here who know a lot more about this than I do who will chime in soon to help you with this. I'm in maintenance but I still have to tweak macros from time to time. Btw, WELCOME! :)
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    @krystlestar00, my reading indicates most experts agree that reduced calories results in reduced metabolism especially if the deficit is severe and over a long period of time. Since you're losing at your average of ~1400 per day, I'd keep it there and hope that you continue to lose at that amount throughout all your weight loss experience. No hunger.

All the calculators are just "averages" but they'll give you a starting point. I think most people appreciate having the starting point. I know I did. I had no clue what was right for me so I just entered my stats into MFP and followed along. As I got closer to my goal weight, MFP reduced my calories. Calories went from 1360 at my starting weight of 203 pounds down to the minimum MFP "allows" of 1200. It all worked. I lost my excess weight and a heck of a lot of excess adipose. When I hit goal and set my stats to maintenance, I was highly disappointed that maintenance calories (at sedentary) were only 1500. I was 60 years old and 140 pounds. That is when I began exploring other calculators in an effort to obtain a higher number. :) It didn't happen when averaged out over several calculators. :'( I'm an average person for whom the averages work.

Everyone's experience is a bit different and perhaps that is why there are so few responses, thus far?

I'm an avid fan of very low carb and keto for myself. I've not tried it for weight loss but rather to keep my hunger under control and my cravings at a minimum. I discovered keto 2 years into maintenance and followed it (medically therapeutic keto) as a trial for something other than weight management. I was quickly amazed that the hunger I had experienced my 1st 2 years of maintenance while eating 1500 calories of higher carb and lower fat, came to a screeching halt.

Today, I still eat very low carb. ~50 per day for hunger/craving management. I don't measure and track as thoroughly as I have in the past. I've found that keeping my food environment clear of "trigger" foods has been very beneficial to me. If you still have chips and popcorn in your house and can't dump it because others eat it, at least keep it out of site. That helps me a little but not completely. Also keep your house stocked with your "keto friendly foods". That helps a bit if you remember them as your "go to" versus the "other stuff". I've stood at the refrigerator many times with one hand on the freezer door for ice cream and 1 hand on the refrigerator door for sugar free jello. >:)o:)
  • mkoh65
    mkoh65 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    krystlestar00, my experience during two and a half years of keto/lchf leads me to believe that the burning of stored body fat provides a source of energy that reduces the need to derive energy from food intake. That leads to reduced appetite, which in turn leads to reduced calorie intake. In other words, weight loss leads to reduced calorie intake, not the other way around. I barely even tracked calories when I was in the rapid weight loss phase; I just kept my lchf macros tight and ate until satisfied. Don't force yourself to eat more; your body is "eating" stored fat and that will keep your metabolism from slowing down.

PS: Losing several pounds of water weight is a good thing. It indicates that you've created a metabolic/hormonal environment that is capable of burning stored fat.