The Holidays and Exercise

Options
misterhub
misterhub Posts: 6,307 Member
Do the Holidays mess with your exercise/movement routine? How do you mitigate their effects?

Replies

• podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,105 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I had to go back and look as I thought I might have shortened my walk for Thanksgiving day. I did walk 4 miles and biked 7 miles so typical day. I saw more people than usual being active even with rain showers, more not less. Groups of up to 7 walkers and some w dogs too. I also saw two different "sandlot" football/mudbowl games going on too. I personally wouldn't drive somewhere to do an organized "turkey trot" walk or run but all these folks did their own thing. A high school classmate asked me to join him for a run after T-day dinner one year at a local track. Big mistake afterwards but I am amazed at how many folk look at Thanksgiving and New Years as an excuse to have activity with friends and/or family. Yes it is harder to get outside with weather a bit but moving year round is only thing that keeps me going sometimes.
    Short answer is a bit less in winter but only a pinch.
    Travel and time can alter routine but usually works out.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    The holidays give me more time for activity! Thanksgiving morning I ran 6.7 miles at the arboretum with a dear friend before getting the turkey in the oven.
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Traveling screws with my routine, but I've gotten good at fitting stuff in. At my Grandma's house, I drive my Grandma and my Great Aunt to their gym and then workout with them. They love being chauffeured there and dropped off at the door so I get brownie points and a workout. They belong to a full gym now, but I used to also do this when they went to Curves, which presented a bit more of a challenge to try to get my heart rate up when the machines are preset at a level my Grandma can do!

At my mother-in-law's house, after CBS This Morning is over, she usually vacates the living room to take a shower so I fit a quick workout in before everyone else wakes up (we're usually the only two people awake before 10:30am). Otherwise I'll find a spare room later to do some yoga or kickboxing in. The Beachbody Streaming service has been lifesaver since they have a app for my tablet I can use to workout anywhere.
  • beachwoman2006
    beachwoman2006 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    When you don't "exercise" you don't have this problem LOL
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 6,030 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Im with @beachwoman2006. I can't even comment on exercise post but do I ever need to get after it.

SW 400.8
    CW 327.5
    Next GW 300.0
    Final GW 185.0

73.3 lbs Total lost
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    It does mess with me a bit..

Taekwondo practice - I had to clean all the christmas tree decorating boxes out of the living room, and sweep up needles before I could practice last night, and my work out area is reduced a bit... So it takes more effort to get going into a workout for me than usual.

Walking - no negative effect. I plan to do some extra walking on my days off coming up.
  • klmackey893
    klmackey893 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Winter more so that the holidays. It snowed here last night and I don't have the studded tires on the bike so had to drive to work today. Tires will be changed this weekend (Scout mtg tonight and more snow in forecast for Friday)
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    At this point, my fitness "routine" isn't much of one but I have been walking much more frequently than I used to. Winter usually brings snow to WNY (not that I'm complaining right yet) and I do enjoy snowshoeing too.

While the holidays can interfere with my routine, it doesn't much. I'm an early upper and that's when I often do my exercise when visiting family or friends. It's usually long before any gathering (even breakfast). Getting it done early helps take the mental pressure off on days when I know there won't be much opportunity for it later on.