Tuna overload?

In one of the threads on the main forum they were talking about how you should only eat tuna once a week due to mercury levels. Oops. I eat two of the tuna packets, M-F, for lunch at work. 170g of tuna 5x a week. Am I slowly killing myself with mercury poisoning? Hell, am I QUICKLY killing myself with tuna poisoning...?

They're the Starkist packets, usually an "original deli style" and "herb & garlic."

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    What specifically concerns you with tuna? Mercury?
  • mwillder1
    mwillder1 Posts: 24 Member
    I eat a few cans a week, and I'm still here and functioning. At least I think so! :-)
  • pitbullmamaliz
    pitbullmamaliz Posts: 303 Member
    kpk54 wrote: »
    What specifically concerns you with tuna? Mercury?

LOL Sorry, yes, forgot to specify. Supposedly because they're high on the food chain and eat other mercury-laden fish they are positively teeming with mercury. I'm assuming I'm not in any danger, but it did make me stop and think when I saw somebody say you should only have one serving of tuna a week!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    The sources of this kind information need to be known. Two cans a day is max typically for my taste.

A few years ago I chased this rumor then went back to daily eating tuna. Can't recall why but may be due to too much mercury. :)

• kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Shoot, with the way tuna prices have come up in the past couple years, it's almost as expensive as canned salmon, and so that's a no brainer!
    I can search Dr. Google and find reason to not eat nearly every food in existence.
    http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html

• kpk54
    kirkor wrote: »
    Shoot, with the way tuna prices have come up in the past couple years, it's almost as expensive as canned salmon, and so that's a no brainer!
    I can search Dr. Google and find reason to not eat nearly every food in existence.
    http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html

LOL. Exactly. ;)
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited December 2017
    I love tuna and eat a whole 225 ml can at once. Unico oil pack yum yum. As far as what I've read it's mainly pregnant women that should watch their high food chain fish intake. BTW, it's way cheaper than salmon here.... Often on for $1, salmon is usually 3x that. I also hate all the skin and bones in the canned salmon....in my house 1/3 of the can is scrap. We prefer fresh salmon. Canned I consider mainly emergency food.
  • kpk54
    Bumble Bee Chunk Light 5 oz here is $.99. 5 oz Albacore $1.29. 5 oz skinless boneless salmon $2.59. At least today at Harris Teeter per their on line shopper...passing time during the action scenes during Windtalkers...
  • LolaDeeDaisy23
    LolaDeeDaisy23 Posts: 383 Member
    I’ve been eating chunk light tuna every single day since starting this prep...so that’s about 8 months worth of tuna every day. I’m still alive and i don’t think I’m neurologically impaired... it’s scary to read those warnings but as the above poster said, you can damn near find at least one reason to not eat every single food out there. You’re more likely to suffer illness from trans fats and smog than from eating tuna.
  • ironmaidenchick
    ironmaidenchick Posts: 213 Member
    I eat sealords lite tuna a few times a week sometimes more. I don't think it is an issue but each to their own. I won't stop eating it:-)
  • kpk54
    Minamata Disease is a thing. Generally speaking it occurred in a faction of the Japanese population after the dumping of industrial mercury into the local waters.

Information is available on line if interested.