Hey there!

Options
Hey everyone, just popping in to say hi and start a conversation! I see there are almost 60 members and only a couple of discussion boards. I'm not sure about you all but I am definitely looking for other vegans on my fitness journey!
I'm Danielle, 23, and I'll reach my veganversary on January 1st. Aaaaand I'm a total foodie that is trying to be a whole foods vegan. I enjoy weight lifting, I've ran a half marathon and done a Spartan Race in Minnesota and the Marine Mud Run in California. I fell in love with running in 2015 but now I have a rocky relationship with it. I'm getting my feet wet after over a year of tendinitis that prevented me from performing the simplest of tasks like holding a pen.
I'm a veteran, I served 6 years in the MN national Guard as a mechanic and did maintenance control as well.

I'd love to hear your origin stories and where you are at in your vegan journey!

Replies

• LataLizzy
    LataLizzy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hey Danielle! I am also looking for other vegans on fitness and weight loss journeys. I am 25 and have been vegan for 11 years. I am also a runner, and I did my first 50-miler in August. I rely mainly on running to burn calories, but I live in an area of CO that gets a lot of snow, so I need to find other ways to reach the calorie burn that I do with running. I want to eat healthier (Lord knows there are plenty of vegan junk foods out there), and I'd like to lose about 15-20 pounds.
  • faithfullogic
    faithfullogic Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi Danielle! I'm Celia, 38, and have been vegan for almost a year. My wife is finally on board with me so it's made life a whole lot easier. She laughed at me in the past when I tried and I'd just give up because cooking was impossible. I used to run and that's how I lost a lot of weight in the past, but I tore my MCL and just haven't healed well enough to run again. I've tried but I just end up in pain for weeks after only 3 days of running. So that's how I gained weight...again. That, and pure laziness in the cooing department. I recently picked up crossfit again which has helped move my weight along. I started eating WFPB in June, but didn't really see any results until I began working out hard.
  • dominicmdougherty
    dominicmdougherty Posts: 8 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Hi, I'm Dominic - 35 years old from Long Beach, CA. I have been vegan since April 17, 2014.

Vegan Origin Story: I have a black and white Boston Terrier, and one day he was out laying on the grass soaking up some sun rays and he looked like a little cow. It was like lightning suddenly struck and it all made sense! If I'm not eating this little guy, why am I eating others? I went cold tofurky right then and have not purposefully consumed any animal product since then. I do the majority of the cooking at home, so it wasn't long before my wife joined me in being vegan as well.
    I eat all kinds of random stuff - as long as it's vegan.

I was fit for most of my life and was able to maintain my fitness after leaving the Marine Corps in 2005 by being so active while working in the bicycle industry- but 2 years ago I switched to a social work desk job and the pounds started adding on. I was previously on WW and lost 25lbs, but after they switched up their point system it just didn't work for a plant-based diet - so here I am on MFP.
    As of this morning, I have lost 29.6 lbs of my planned 40lbs.
    I run 3x a week doing the C25K program, and take my doberman for a couple long hikes/walks on the alternating days - over the last 2 months we have averaged about 110 miles a month together. It has gotten to the point where I am anxious for the work day to end so I can take the dog out and we can cover some ground!
    I have recently discovered how easy it is so make seitan at home, so while my wife is in the living room watching bad Christmas movies, you can find me in the kitchen swimming in gluten :p
  • LataLizzy
    Options
    Ooh! @dominicmdougherty how do you make seitan at home? I have a bag of gluten, and I've made some sausages, but they weren't great. Care to share a recipe?
  • dominicmdougherty
    dominicmdougherty Posts: 8 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    @LataLizzy
    https://yupitsvegan.com/basic-homemade-seitan/

That's the recipe I use.
    By now I have strayed pretty far from paprika, tomato paste, and soy sauce flavor.
    I love adding BBQ sauce and spices, or smoked salt and maple for a bacon flavor. My favorite is adding jalapenos to the mix though!

I have a few pictures of seitan loaves on my IG @RockorSomething
  • LataLizzy
    Options
    Fantastic! Thank you, @dominicmdougherty!!
  • wooooly123
    wooooly123 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, I'm Jess. Was vegetarian 2 years, and transitioned to veganism June last year. Wanna lose about 21lbs & improve fitness. Looking to make new friends (especially vegan ones) as I've started back on mfp and don't have many friends on my feed.