Breath control in Forms

Options
Quick poll for those of you who practice Forms (Poomse/Kata, etc):

Do you breathe out every move, or keep an even pace of breathing independent of movement?
What is your reasoning behind your preferred method?

Replies

• trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I don't consciously breathe out every movement but it seems like when I get into rhythm it just happens naturally.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Great topic!

My breathing during forms is horrible. I generally exhale on the "exertion" (such as the strike) and inhale on the set up, but sometimes I catch myself holding my breath.

Some of the schools in our family kiyup on every move (which is annoying) and extra loud at the kiyup points. Other schools will make a tssss noise with each move to encourage proper breathing.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    I exhale loudly on each strike because my chief instructor will shout at me if I don't because it wins me form competitions. I can confirm that regulating my breaths does seem to affect the power of my hits, and I'm told it would make me harder to wind in a self-defence situation.
  • Soy_K
    Soy_K Posts: 246 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Breathing during forms in wushu is really important and I get yelled at for it all the time. It's not necessarily rhythmic but is timed with steps in the forms and places that you get more rest. Also when doing movements that require turning quickly with your head off center, you're not supposed to carry your breath in your chest at all but lower in your stomach - like in this type of body turn https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBPT6X0f618