Timing of Calories Throughout the Day

Options
Jen2133
Jen2133 Posts: 94 Member
I'm looking for some feedback as I'd like to improve the timing and allocation of my calories throughout my day.

As a 'not-that-heavy-girl', my calories are quite low when I am trying to drop weight, particularly pre-competition. With about 1200 calories to play with, planning and timing are crucial to energy levels and combating hunger – there's no room to add an extra snack!

In the past, I've been frightened of eating too many calories too early in the day, thinking that I'm going to be ravenous by evening. However, I work out in the morning so I eat before I go to the gym, and feel very lethargic if I don't eat a decent amount post workout.

Ideally, I'd start eating later in the day (10am) and stop by about 7pm (intermittent fasting, or a reduced time window for eating). I seem to be OK on a non workout day with this. But, it doesn't work with my gym/work schedule.

I'd love to hear how some of you manage and time your food around your day…

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I typically eat non-stop through the day, so I'm definitely no help. What about IF but using preworkout or something very low calorie that won't break your fast (in the sense that it won't cause hunger?) Might take some experimenting to figure it out.

Sometimes when cutting on my low days (1500-1700 cals) I will eat from 7am-12pm...(with my workout in that window) then "fast" from 12-6pm. Or cut out the snacks.. Or have a post workout protein snack but cut out lunch and save my cals for dinner. That's what I do anyway, hope you find something that works for you!
  • Jen2133
    Jen2133 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    What about IF but using preworkout or something very low calorie that won't break your fast (in the sense that it won't cause hunger?) Might take some experimenting to figure it out.

I have considered this approach, and DO need to experiment to see how it goes. I think as I move towards more days of traditional, body-building-style lifting in Jan/Feb this may work and that coach would understand if I were loopy/in a bad mood/etc. I'm a bit worried about trying that on my Crossfit days, though! Too many opportunities for injury if I zone-out :)