Starting a two day "fast" before my colonoscopy

Options
Sabine_Stroehm
Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
Yes, it's not technically a fast, I can have jello and gatorade and other sugary stuff (not gonna happen), and broth etc.

I'll be having broth... and Fresca.

(yes, I'm "slow" thus the reason it's two days rather than one)

Lucky me!

Replies

• damorere
    damorere Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Is this an alternative to the purgative or in addition to it? I'm due for one (overdue actually) and would really like to avoid the standard prep process.
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I always get the Miralax/Gatorade/Ducolax concoction before my colonoscopies. I am not due for a couple of years so I hope I can weather that storm when comes around again. I've been doing these since I turned 30 because of family history. Needless to say that recipe usually has me cleaned out in less than 16 hours, I would even hazard a good guess less than 8 hours but they split the dose. It isn't pleasant but I don't retain anything and it even carries on through part of the next day after the procedure. Good luck on your procedure may you be polyp free. :)
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    The prep is is no fun. Well actually my last one was no big deal. Both DH and I are on the "3 year schedule" with family histories of colo-rectal cancer. We have different docs. DH has UNC affiliations, I have Duke. I think it pains him to be attended to by either, as an NC State fan but I digress...

Anyway, the doc's prep procedures were very different. I was instructed to eat "low residue" for a week or so prior to doing the ultimate cleanse thing which was short and sweet compared to previous years. Easy and uneventful. Outcomes (no pun intended) were equally effective for each of us so far as I can tell. As with everything, there are many ways to accomplish a goal. @damorere, my experience is they are much less eventful than in years gone by. Get it scheduled!

It will soon be over @Sabine_Stroehm and hope the results are stellar!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited December 2017
    Options
    @Damorere It's IN ADDITION to it.

I'm on a 7 year repeat cycle (this will be my second) due to a slight daily history. I expect all to be fine!
  • ironmaidenchick
    ironmaidenchick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I had a bad time when I had mine done. I had to have an endoscopy at the same time. Hope it was a different camera lmao :-)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Day two begins. In 24 hours I should be in the "resting area" post procedure.
    Lot's of bon broth yesterday, and water. Today I'm having a couple of sugar free banana popsicles as well.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Banana popsicle sounds yummy.
  • MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    MimiOfTheLusciousLawn Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I had my first last month. I wish I had known about "low residue" eating beforehand, and 2 days of prep would have worked better. Next time...
  • MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    MimiOfTheLusciousLawn Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I also wish I would have found some SF popsicles, I don't care if I ever eat jello again.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    In the end this SLOW carb girl got through it with coconut water (12 grams of carbs) and bone broth, primarily.
    I had the inspiration to google: paleo colonoscopy prep and coconut water came up. (I'm not paleo, but sure!)

An Md. did the test. I already have my results: A-OK!

I will have to check into that protocol, I haven't had to have one since going LCHF/KETO and fasting. I am sure the next one will be easily dealt with since I can fast without too much trouble these days. But the coconut water sounds interesting.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    In the end this SLOW carb girl got through it with coconut water (12 grams of carbs) and bone broth, primarily.
    I had the inspiration to google: paleo colonoscopy prep and coconut water came up. (I'm not paleo, but sure!)

I will have to check into that protocol, I haven't had to have one since going LCHF/KETO and fasting. I am sure the next one will be easily dealt with since I can fast without too much trouble these days. But the coconut water sounds interesting.

Coconut water has potassium and sodium, so it worked pretty well.
  • CLN_Joyce
    CLN_Joyce Posts: 17 Member
    Options

Hows the taste of coconut water? I've never tried it but sounds like an option for my next prep ( a few years out)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    CLN_Joyce wrote: »

Hows the taste of coconut water? I've never tried it but sounds like an option for my next prep ( a few years out)

I love the stuff. I could drink it every day.