Period of Time For Weight to Go Up? and a TMI

Options
LAWoman72
LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
So I'm still worried about this, and wondering whether this program is for me or perhaps I'm an outlier for whom it just won't work.

Still at 1700-2000/day, usually closer to 1700-1800 this week. It has been just about three weeks for me. Weights 3X/week, walking 4-7 days/week in addition, and a regular lifestyle in the meantime - kids, cleaning house, desk job, errands.

I lost initially and then gained from there and now I just keep going up.

TMI: I also seem to not be...going as often? I don't know why. With more food shouldn't I be going more? It has now been I think 4 days. That is odd and I wonder if it's some of the weight but I don't "feel" constipated at all.

Measurements are all about the same (see diary, I just started taking them in a bunch of places).

So after a loss, this Friday at my weigh-in I had gained 2 lbs. back but was back around where I started: 155.8.

It's now just two days later and I'm 157.6!

I am going up and up and up. When does it stop? How do I know when this just isn't working? I NEED to put the brakes on. I am getting back to obese territory. I don't feel like I can play around.

Thanks so much.

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    You realize you couldn't gain fat that fast even if you tried - perhaps if you really really tried you could - 3500 extra calories a day over maintenance - and the body is going to speed up with all those extra calories, so more than just 3500 extra calories - would be mighty difficult.

But - you can gain upwards of 20 lbs water weight related merely to increased cortisol from stress.

Undereating causes stress for the body, when it's under a limit it finds stressful.

That is so low calories for all you do, something may have come up that caused body to find even that increased level still too far under what it finds acceptable - and bam - water weight.

Stress can also cause regularity issues of course, even if normally a different effect.

Anything come up in life causing more stress?

And by obese, you are referring to BMI scale.
    A scale that was solely created for population studies - never an individual usage. Despite what insurance, DR, ect have latched on to as an easy way out from working harder, but smarter.

Measurements the same though, huh.

Wait until you go to decide anything.

Have a stiff drink.

Have a high carb day.

Both things that have been seen to cause a whoosh effect of water weight.
  • LAWoman72
    Options
    Thanks, heybales. Yes, I've been pretty stressed out, TBH.

A high-carb day sounds delightful.

Well, measurements were the same 5 days after the first measurement...next measurement day is Tuesday; I plan on making that my weekly measure-in. :) I guess what I'm saying is...I'm not actually measuring more.
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    The stress alone is enough to cause the scale and your measurements to increase. And the more you stress, the more things won't do what you want it to. It sounds like you are trying to do too much and put yourself into a frenzy.
  • LAWoman72
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I don't get it, if that is the case then how did I lose 60 pounds under extreme stress, being very hungry? I just don't feel this is working. Good luck and happy holidays to one and all.
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    There is a difference between stresses. If you can't understand that, then there isn't much I can do to change your mind. And throwing it back like an "Oh yeah?? How about this?" proves you aren't willing to let go of the past.

I'm sorry you feel like this isn't working. It takes a lot more than a few weeks or months, and a huge mentality shift to really understand this, and this shows that your mindset isn't there. And thats perfectly ok.
    All the best in your future. If you decide down the line that you want to revisit this, you know we will be here.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    I don't get it, if that is the case then how did I lose 60 pounds under extreme stress, being very hungry? I just don't feel this is working. Good luck and happy holidays to one and all.

You can eat less and less and less, and despite the stress and water weight gain going on at same time - can lose fat eventually because the body can only adapt so much.

But it is under duress then, and not a great state for normal living.

And what results is usually a poor maintenance effect.

Even now - you may be gaining water weight, and if in a slight deficit you are losing fat, hence the fact measurements can go down or stay the same when not losing or even gaining weight.

Totally depends on where the fat leaves and the water adds.
  • kcmsmith0405
    kcmsmith0405 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Did you keep off that 60 lbs? If not - that didn't work. The goal is to learn to eat for life, not starving. That and working out to gain muscle (to burn more fat so you can eat more - oh wait that''s just me hehe). I am finding this way of eating takes patience. How long did you eat at TDEE (maintenance)?

Kelly