Starting the bariatric surgery process

Options
HLaR79
HLaR79 Posts: 1,519 Member
I'm glad I found this group, I am just starting the process for surgery, I was accepted into a program that is covered so I don't have to pay for it, I have my first meeting with the team in February and then things will take 9-12 months after that to get surgery, if I qualify for everything!

I am already starting the changes I need to make though so I don't have shock at surgery date. I am day 5 with not drinking bubbles...

I am 38, my highest weight was 338 lbs at (5'2) I am currently down to 287! I am really looking forward to learning more from everyone who has been through this process!!

Replies

• Mandy_1982
    Mandy_1982 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
  • clcmfp
    clcmfp Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
  • jamielslater
    jamielslater Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group. There are some great people here.
  • WatchitBeginAgain
    WatchitBeginAgain Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have to chuckle because your stats are almost the same as mine. I am 37, starting weight 335, down to 284 this morning. I am flying to the U.S. to meet with a surgeon in January and I am hoping I can get insurance on board for a first week of May surgery or late April. Feel free to send a friend request if you want someone to commiserate with.
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Good job, both OP and @WatchitBeginAgain
  • HLaR79
    Options
    I have to chuckle because your stats are almost the same as mine. I am 37, starting weight 335, down to 284 this morning. I am flying to the U.S. to meet with a surgeon in January and I am hoping I can get insurance on board for a first week of May surgery or late April. Feel free to send a friend request if you want someone to commiserate with.

Oh it's nice to meet someone with similar stats! I hope you can get everything in line for your surgery!!!
    I will for sure send a friend request! Where are you from that you are going to the US for surgery?
  • WatchitBeginAgain
    WatchitBeginAgain Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Scranton, Pennsylvania. But I live in El Salvador at the moment.
  • Fit4LifeAR
    Fit4LifeAR Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Welcome, I am just starting too! I have my first appointment on January 9 and have to follow a three month supervised diet, per insurance requirements. I won’t know if I am fully qualified until the end though because I have a BMI of 38 with no comorbidities except for osteoarthritis. I am 37 years old and already had a total knee replacement, so my doctors think that should be enough. If all goes well, I will have surgery in April or June. I teach Seniors so May gets to be too busy to take a few days off.

Starting Weight: 239
    Goal Weight: 150
    Height: 5’6
  • HLaR79
    Options
    Scranton, Pennsylvania. But I live in El Salvador at the moment.
    I am in Canada, it is hard to get the surgery covered here but I finally got into a program where I won't have to pay out of pocket!! I hope you are able to get your insurance to cover!
  • HLaR79
    Options
    Fit4LifeAR wrote: »
    Welcome, I am just starting too! I have my first appointment on January 9 and have to follow a three month supervised diet, per insurance requirements. I won’t know if I am fully qualified until the end though because I have a BMI of 38 with no comorbidities except for osteoarthritis. I am 37 years old and already had a total knee replacement, so my doctors think that should be enough. If all goes well, I will have surgery in April or June. I teach Seniors so May gets to be too busy to take a few days off.

Starting Weight: 239
    Goal Weight: 150
    Height: 5’6

Wow that's great if your doctor is pushing for it hopefully you can get it covered!!
  • HLaR79
    Options
    Today I went for my first set of blood work, she kept lining up vials until she hit 9, thankfully only 1 poke for all of those! I cannot wait to move through this process!
  • Trailtramper74
    Trailtramper74 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
  • ssflbelle2012
    ssflbelle2012 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all the newbies. It is good you are all starting now to change behaviors which has resulted in weight loss. I changed a lot of my behaviors before surgery which resulted in me losing 180 pounds. This surgery was the best thing I did for myself. I was 60 years old when I had the sleeve, hernia repair and gallbladder removed all in one surgery. I lost an additional 100 pounds and had some excess skin removed in June. Recovering from that surgery has slowed down my weight loss as I still have 40 pounds to lose. This will be the year I get to my goal. Others were here for me so feel free to ask questions and I will do my best to answer them and help you all.
  • Fit4LifeAR
    Options
    The one thing I worry about is losing too much weight. I want to lose 70-80 pounds, which would put me at 5’6 and 160. I was that weight years ago and was fit and healthy, but still had some curve, lol. When you get to your goal weight, I guess you just increase your calories to maintenance? I honestly don’t want to go below 150, so this is the one thing I need to really get clarification on.
  • HLaR79
    Options
    @ssflbelle2012 thanks :) I hope you reach all of your goals!
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    @Fit4LifeAR I wouldn't worry about that. The nurse at the bariatric center I go to told me once out of over 1,500 patients NONE have ever lost "too much". The average loss is 50-70% of "excess weight". Sounds like you have reasonable goals. If you change you eating and exercise habits you should be able to reach your health goals. :)
  • Fit4LifeAR
    Options
    Thank you! I am so ready to do this!
  • 100poundstogo
    100poundstogo Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! So good to see so many common goals and threads. I had the lapband surgery going on 6 yrs....I experienced much problems with it especially Acid Reflux and vomiting. I did not know of the Sleeve at that time or I would have done it. I had the gastric sleeve procedure almost 7 mths ago. I have lost 43 pounds since then and my total from both surgeries is just about 75 pounds. I'm still trying to reach my goal this year of loosing another 60-65 pounds. I'm only 5'.1''. Over the holidays I've gained 3-5 pounds and I'm devistated but overall this was the best decision I've ever made concerning my health. Happy New year to everyone and best of success to all of you...#Includingme lol
  • takuwinds
    takuwinds Posts: 67 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I am 4 years post op lap band. My start weight was 240. Today I am in the upper 180's. I have plenty of acid reflux and hate it and sometimes my food get's stuck. Over all, I have no regrets about my WLS. You are welcome to add me.
  • tiggerstails75
    tiggerstails75 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am 15 months out from having the sleeve and 130 lbs down. Would love some Bariatric fb friends to encourage each other.