What do you guys do when you get a cold?

Options
Anon2018
Anon2018 Posts: 139 Member
So, I'm going on day 4 of a whopping cold. I've been keeping up my low carb diet, but have been CRAVING like crazy. Today (day 4) I decided I would eat up to 100ish carbs, thinking that maybe I could use the energy/glucose to help me heal.

I don't normally have colds for this long - what do you guys think? Symptoms: terrible sore throat, deep cough, congestion, sneezing with yellow thick mucus.

Replies

• Umm_Leila
    Umm_Leila Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    What I usually do is make "tisane", it's basically a tea made from lemon verbena. I do not use any sweetener though (to each their own) my bad cold are usually cut to 4-5 days instead of my usual 2 weeks long.

I hope you feel better soon!
  • Anon2018
    Anon2018 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Thank you - I'm craving carbs like crazy (also craving....not cooking, haha). I had a clif bar for breakfast and felt better, but ALSO since I ate I got to take medicine.

Is craving carbs while sick a normal thing?
  • EryOaker
    EryOaker Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Anon2018 wrote: »
    Thank you - I'm craving carbs like crazy (also craving....not cooking, haha). I had a clif bar for breakfast and felt better, but ALSO since I ate I got to take medicine.

Is craving carbs while sick a normal thing?

When I'm sick, I crave my carby comfort foods my mom used to make me while sick. So I make Keto versions. I keep stuff in the freezer to have in emergencies. Who wants to cook when sick? I keep frozen bone broth on hand (store bought is ok too), and some frozen chopped rotisserie chicken and some frozen pre-prepped low carb veggies to quickly make a chicken veggie soup. Miracle noodles, both broth, and some dried parsley is good too! I also keep "mickey's English muffins" on hand for that bread craving. Toast it in the toaster oven and slap butter on it!!!
    Sugar free jello too
    Get well soon!
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Oh goodness.... I actually haven't had a cold for about five years.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    For some reason when I'm sick I just want French fries? I wonder if has something to do with the salt so I just drink a bunch of broth now that I'm low carb.
  • Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    What do I do? Marvel at how much snot my face can hold! I kid you not. It's AHmazing!

With that out of the way I am a broth girl. Salt is my thing when I am sick.

Feel better soon!!
  • ironmaidenchick
    ironmaidenchick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I stock myself up on vitamin c. It definitely helps me.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I generally have no appetite when I have a cold, so I usually eat almost nothing.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Make sure you check with your pharmacist to get diabetic/sugar free meds (OTC or prescription) or the sugars in some pills and most liquids will make you crave carbs like crazy. Salt gargles are good for the throat and a Neti Pot for stuffed nose and to clear snot out. Lots of rest and you can always put some gelatin into salty broth if you are tired of strictly liquids for a very sore throat.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    Keto egg drop soup, a hard core mucinex + sudafed and sleep.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I go very heavily on Vit C in the Lysomal form. Actually I seldom get a cold when using it heavily daily in the first place.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I have a touch of whatever crud is going around at work, right now. What do I do? I eat the same as always. Rest. And I drink plenty of fluids. If, and when, I seek cold medicine, I get the diabetic kinds that have no sugar.

It's not unlike any other day, except my body is fighting off a bug.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    https://chrismasterjohnphd.com/2016/12/26/zinc-definitely-fights-colds-youre-probably-using-wrong-kind/

https://chrismasterjohnphd.com/2017/12/05/dont-get-sick-winter/

I got sick lately last week, and have been carb craving to soak up and cut through the drainage, but after I got a steroid shot (viral, so no antibiotics, thank goodness), I've been mostly back to normal. I got some of the zinc lozenges to use if it doesn't keep in the behaving side...but ... Good luck.
  • paulamotley
    paulamotley Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm actually getting over a cold, but I did crave comfort soups. I excused it, so I could get well. Take care of yourself and feel better soon!