Dr says aim for 60-80 protein, what about carbs, etc.?

Options
Time4Nana
Time4Nana Posts: 26 Member
I’ve been trying to figure what are amounts to stay under for carbs, calories, fats, etc. I’ve been aiming for my protein numbers and not worrying about the other numbers. I started wondering if that is the reason I don’t seem to be loosing weight. I’m at a stand still. Do y’all just watch the protein or do you watch all the other areas too?

Replies

• Oma827
    Oma827 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I watch protein and carbs only.
  • Samquentin
    Samquentin Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist has the my protein/carb/fat split as: 50% protein, 30% fat, 20% carb. They never gave me a goal number for anything other than protein. No calorie number either. Just worry on the protein.
  • loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Like others here I was never given amounts for anything except protein. I try to keep it below 75grams per day but if it's a high exercise day I may go over.
  • klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I can't seem to lose at all if I go over 60 grams of carbs a day. I don't worry about protein but try for over 75 grams and moderate fat.
  • MoyMG
    MoyMG Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I'm five years post gastric bypass, and still working on losing. (I'm down 156 pounds, want to lose another 59 prior to a body tuck.) I met with the bariatric dietician about two months ago, to obtain her guidelines for someone like me. Her advice for me: 1100-1400 cal/day, 63-90 gms protein, 60-100 gms carb, and make sure I am getting the recommended amounts of iron, B vitamins, and calcium in. I don't drop below 60 gms carb because I'm 64, and ketones are harder on the kidneys (so I won't take my body into ketosis ever again.) I'm female, 5'6", walk daily for 30-60 minutes. As a couple others have found, I am also sensitive to carbs, and know I'll stop losing if carbs get too high (even if I'm still within my daily calorie limit.) Hope this helps; good luck!
  • Time4Nana
    Time4Nana Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I also found I am more sensitive to carbs since my RNY on 10/26. I had to cut back on the carbs to start loosing again. I’m 66 yo and was getting very discouraged that the pounds weren’t coming off. I appreciate your sharing because I haven’t seen my dietician since the surgery. In fact I only saw her once before.
  • thechadtx
    thechadtx Posts: 21 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    My NUT has me at 40% protein, and 30%/30% for carbs/fat. My surgeon's only advice was to stay above 100g of protein and reach for 1000 calories or so (eventually it'll be around 1200-1500). I get over that most days now, but it took a while. I'm 4 months out from RNY surgery.