December 2017 Challenge

Options
retirehappy
retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
Another year of MFP for lots of us here.

I am going to stay with my current challenge, staying below my original goal weight.
I will try to manage my stress during the home projects we are doing without turning to food.
Keep up my strength training, will do 3x a week with dumbbells and stretchy bands.

What is everyone else planning for this month?

Replies

• Mariang165
    Mariang165 Posts: 2,115 Member
    Options
    @retirehappy - thanks, as always for posting our Dec challenge!

I will continue to try to walk regularly.

Challenge History:
    Oct - 9
    Nov - 15

Dec Goal - 20 walks (hope I am not being too optimistic, as I just made Nov. goal last month).

Spread walks throughout the month - in Nov I would have a week where I walked almost every day and then a week with no walks. I do notice I feel better on the ‘walk’ weeks so will try to be more consistent.

New Goal; count BINGE days. I continue to do well with eating control for many days and then have a totally out-of-control Binge day/s! So my first step is count the nbr of binge days in Dec (a good month for binging I would say) and then I will have a bench mark from which to improve.

Just an aside:
    I continue to struggle with the same 3 lb weight range, lose a lb, gain, lose, etc. Over the past 6 weeks, I have lost 1 lb! But as Kathy kindly encouraged me by saying hey I did lose a pound and if I hadn’t been trying and gave up I probably would have been 10 pounds up! She is right! So those of you lurking and struggling, keep checking in and when you are ready you may want to say hi!

Good Luck Everyone, and just think we will be one step ahead with control holiday eating!

Cheers, Marian
  • retirehappy
    Options
    Marian, you are in the right head space. Stay there through the holidays and you will do great.

I am modifying my challenge slightly, will be staying about 10 days where they have dumbbells and aerobic gear, so instead of taking my stretch bands, I will use their dumbbells along with body weight training, planks and yoga weight bearing exercises, the room is large enough for me to do that easily. And there is a heated indoor pool along with a hot tub.

I'm hoping some lurkers will speak up and set a challenge for themselves.
  • mxchana
    mxchana Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Joell, sounds like a great vacation spot you are headed to --- especially the heated pool and hot tub!

December is looking like it is going to be extremely stressful... *sigh* just too much going on and very little of it any fun. This, of course, is no excuse for eating out of control.

I am setting a new goal for this month:

(1) Getting in at least 20 days with a half hour (or more) of exercise.

(2) I am continuing with my goal to walk every day.

(3) I am going to fast two days this month.

(4) I am getting in here and writing down my food EVERY DAY, despite travelling and stress and etc. etc.!!!

Good luck to all, those writing and those "lurking" - love that word, it sounds so mysterious :wink: ~ Kathy
  • Mariang165
    Mariang165 Posts: 2,115 Member
    Options
    Hi, checking in for my mid month report and happily I am doing so much better this challenge month, so far!

Dec goals:

Walks: 20/month ......12 walks as of Dec 15th! Yippee!

Spread WalksThroughout Every Week; well I sure did that!

Count Binge Days: only 1 night, so far.
    This is really surprising as Oct & Nov, I had a lot. My MFP friends have been very supportive of me with this issue over the past several month, so I am hoping I am FINALLY gaining some control.

Now the real challenge is the remainder of the month, wish me luck! I really am trying to get a jump on January!

Cheers, Marian
  • retirehappy
    Options
    Finally back in our house. The work is still not finished but we had already had to extend our time out of the house by two days, so 12 days away. The steps got messed up very badly and the guy was supposed to fix them on Sat. but he never showed up. So hopefully Monday we will be seeing him to get the steps in good working order and then the carpet crew can come back and re-carpet them, after that the movers can come in and move our stuff back into the house. And then maybe we can sleep in our bedroom rather than the mattress on the floor we are using this weekend.

Stressed out doesn't begin to cover how I have have felt for the last two weeks. I have had part of a waffle for breakfast twice, some battered chicken tenders, a lot of wine at the end of the day, I haven't had access to my scale, but my jeans straight from the dryer are still fitting great so hopefully, I kept most of the stress eating under control. I had done a 36 hr. fast right before we moved out, and I did several days of IFing, but I couldn't get beyond 20 hrs. of fasting. I did way more walking than I thought possible, not some much strength training. But I have been lifting lots of heavy stuff through out this ordeal.

Luckily the colors turned out just the way I hoped they would, the carpet is lovely and warm and comforting to my feet :) So I guess it is all worth it.

Kathy and Marian, thanks for participating. Wishing you both the best on reaching your goals.
  • mxchana
    Options
    Joellen, glad to hear you are back in your house and HOPEFULLY (1) that steps guy actually did show up and (2) you are back in your own bed! It is so stressful doing any kind of renovation, and especially when you have to be out of your house for that length of time.

Marian, you have been doing so well on so many days - you have really built up your strength to go for the long haul!

As for me, well I did not record every day. I did walk every day. I have not achieved 30 minutes of exercise per day for 20 days... but I have some more days left in December to improve on that!

I have fasted one day so far this month and need another day to hit my goal of 2.

I am going to be happy to see 2017 in the rear-view mirror and really hope I can get a better lifestyle going in 2018.
  • retirehappy
    Options
    Finally, all the work on the house is done, we are bring back things we want around us from the basement, so still getting in lots of steps and stair climbing. Good thing, winter arrived here with snow and below 10F weather. Only slowing getting warmer mid day.

I finally found a way to measure myself now that all the surfaces I previously used were carpeted. I was still 3 lbs. under my goal weight. I am currently doing a group fast over on another forum, and today I am down another 3 lbs.
  • mxchana
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Wow @retirehappy - you are really going great guns, in your resettling project and in your weight loss. Hope you will be finding time to take it easy today! ~ Kathy
  • retirehappy
    Options
    Well, I did the group Zornfast over on https://www.ketogenicforums.com and reached my newest weight loss goal. I wanted to be 133, and I got there. Today after last night's traditional Christmas Eve pizza I was back up 1 lb. So I am happy with that.

I am trying to get my setpoint down to 133, I've hit it a couple of times, but it is currently at 137. I see that number the most when I weigh in. It does take a while, so I will just keep calm and LCHF onwards.