Cheating on Keto

So I decided to take a full on diet break. I broke away from keto for the first time in the past 12 months. I thoroughly enjoyed my share of garlic cheese bread, onion rings, donuts, cheesecake, chocolate lava cake, freshly baked French bread, TAMALES, TACOS, oh god.. I can go on. I ate everything within the past week. So what happened?
Where am I at now? I was doing a keto competition prep diet, low sodium, 1450 calories on average and I was hovering around 121 pounds.
I woke up yesterday morning and I weighed.........wait for it.
130 POUNDS.
I can't help but laugh. Most of it is due to increased sodium and stored glycogen. I'm back on keto full force and the increased hunger cravings are no joke! Just wanted to share for those who are interested.

Pros to cheating: Increased strength. I feel like the Hulk when training! I hit all new PRs for every single lift; deadlift, bicep curls, etc.

Replies

• swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Did some cheating yesterday myself....and just for Christmas dinner.....Up a full 3 or 4 pounds in one day which I expected, but what I didn't expect was how bad my joints ache today......Not sure if it's the sugar or the wheat or both, but I think these have an effect on my joints for sure......

Good to know......back to keto for me....and no more cheating....Not worth it!
  • LolaDeeDaisy23
    LolaDeeDaisy23 Posts: 383 Member
    @swezeytba I agree. While it was nice to enjoy the same foods everyone else was eating, I have to say it's not worth the extra cravings and overall sluggish feeling. Plus I'm sick! I never ever get sick. Strange...
    Eating carbs this week made me realize that I really love the keto WOE. I will always choose peanut butter, eggs and bacon, steak and butter over donuts and tamales lol
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    @LolaDeeDaisy23 'I was hovering around 121 pounds.I woke up yesterday morning and I weighed.........wait for it.
    130 POUNDS.'

At last, someone who can gain overnight the same amazing amounts of weight! >:):)
  • moxleymama6
    moxleymama6 Posts: 537 Member
    I cheated for 2 weeks and now I'm sick as well. I caught a head cold, my knees ache, and my old foot injury hurts. The good thing is now I realize how good I was actually feeling on keto compared to the carb-inflammation I'm experiencing currently. Back to keto I go!
  • wornoutcowboy
    wornoutcowboy Posts: 11 Member
    I was invited to friend's house Xmas night and got tired of saying no to everything the host offered. I ended up eating pasta, two slices of pie and had a glass of red wine. My weight went up a pound. It was my first cheat since starting keto in mid November. In the future I will need to be a picky guest I guess.
  • swezeytba
    @CRZYFTM - You're such the low carb baker......Do you have a good bread recipe that doesn't taste like eggs? I don't need bread every day, but would like a good recipe for that once in awhile occasion.
  • ptrcmcc6
    ptrcmcc6 Posts: 103 Member
    I ate small piece of lasagna with my dinner but other than that, I wasn't too bad. The real problem didn't come along until they brought out the desserts. Cannoli cake and tiramisu....... :blush: . I got on the scale the next morning and I was up 4 lbs. I'm not too worried though. I know I didn't eat enough to actually gain 4 lbs. so I'm sure it will come back off within the next couple days.
  • ironmaidenchick
    ironmaidenchick Posts: 213 Member
    I had always intended to indulge xmas day and boxing day. Brandy snaps, pavlova, caramel tarts, chips, savouries and pizza! Oink oink. I feel like crap. So tired and super sluggish. I think I eat out of boredom so being off work didn't help. I am back on track today and will weigh on sunday. Lesson learned and won't be doing that again in a hurry.
  • chinatowninchina
    edited December 2017
    swezeytba wrote: »
    @CRZYFTM - You're such the low carb baker......Do you have a good bread recipe that doesn't taste like eggs? I don't need bread every day, but would like a good recipe for that once in awhile occasion.

I use this one from the Diet Doctor site which is great. No egg taste and no sweet coconut taste. I usually don't make it into actual loaves but into buns/rolls. One warning; certain types of psyllium husk can make the bread turn purple. It happened once to me (the bread not actually to me!) It doesn't change the taste, it just looks weird!

Ingredients
    1¼ cups almond flour
    5 tablespoons ground psyllium husk powder
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 teaspoon sea salt
    2 teaspoons cider vinegar
    1 cup boiling water
    3 egg whites
    2 tablespoons sesame seeds (optional)

Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl.
    Bring the water to a boil and add it, the vinegar and egg whites to the bowl, while beating with a hand mixer for about 30 seconds. Don’t over mix the dough, the consistency should resemble Play-Doh.
    Moisten hands and form dough into 4 or 8 pieces of bread. You can also make hot dog or hamburger buns. Place on a greased baking sheet.
    Bake on lower rack in oven for 50–60 minutes, depending on the size of your bread. They’re done when you hear a hollow sound when tapping the bottom of the bun.
    Serve with butter and toppings of your choice. Store the bread in the fridge or freezer.

Good Luck!
  • swezeytba
    I saw that one yesterday when I was looking....I will have to try it.....I thought the part about hearing the hollow sound when you tap the bun sounded promising because it sounded like real bread characteristics!
  • chinatowninchina
    swezeytba wrote: »
    I saw that one yesterday when I was looking....I will have to try it.....I thought the part about hearing the hollow sound when you tap the bun sounded promising because it sounded like real bread characteristics!

It's really good!
  • swezeytba
    Two votes....I'm in....Will have to get some Psyllium husk powder though....The only kind I have is in capsule form....
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    A 10-15 lb. gain due to mostly water when first adding carbs after eating at keto carb levels is typical for me too. It's the same 10-15 lbs. I lost in the first week or 2 of cutting carbs.
  • skinnyjingbb
    skinnyjingbb Posts: 127 Member
    I actually lost two pounds since last Saturday. I did not weight myself after big Christmas Eve Dinner since I don't want to see the gain. Now after three days, I stepped on the scale this morning and is surprised. I did eat over budget but mostly because some fatty korean short rib, a bit more carb than normal. Someone brought in really pretty looking petite desserts, and I only had a small bite of each kind to satisfy my cravings.