1 Week out of surgery - having problems with foam

Options
DawnCumm
DawnCumm Posts: 212 Member
Hoping you guys can help me. I am one week out of surgery and have two more weeks before my post op. I have twice had a issue with lots of foam being burped up. Can't drink anything for hours (lots of hours) due to my stomach being full of foam. In both cases it was triggered I think by drinking protein of 4 ounces. I am thinking I may have drank it too fast. Any past experiences or recommendations?

Replies

• renovagirl
    renovagirl Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Slow Down! Take sips and make that 4oz take an hour to finish. Did your surgeon provide you with any post op instructions?
  • Time4Nana
    Time4Nana Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Did it happen while you were in the hospital? If it continues I would call your surgeon’s office and talk to his nurse. Hope it gets better.
  • loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I had the 'famous foam' twice before I realized it was nausea. I had to go back on the patches for nausea for about 6 days. Also like renovagirl said, drink slow, very slow. Prior to my 2-week post-op appointment, I was told to focus on fluid only and not worry about protein. As weird as this sounds, standing up and breathing in steam helped me with the foam.

The funny thing about the foam was I felt like I had drunk baking soda and vinegar mixed together. There seemed to be a never-ending supply of it continually flowing out of my mouth.

Also, call your doctor's office if you have questions. They want you to call and have lots of experience to help you with anything. No sense in suffering alone with you have the doctors office at your disposal. I called more than once and they never sounded like I was a bother.
  • DawnCumm
    Options
    Thanks all, I did have directions that I am following but there was never any mention of foam coming up from the stomach. I did speak to my doctor the first time and she advised what I did, which was return to water only when I could drink was correct and to not take my chewable vitamin which was prescribed. Thinking it may have been the vitamin and/or drinking my 4oz to fast. Combo problem.....really watching the clock now....

Will ask my doc for more info on the cause of the foam when I see here, interesting that drinking too fast (which I think was part of the trigger) results in this onslaught of foamy burbs. Yuck.

• renovagirl
    renovagirl Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Dawn, just an fyi - the foam (for me) is an indication I am eating either too fast or too much. I did have the problem eating chicken and turkey. I am over 6 years out and on rare occasions, I experience some foaming. My best advice to you is to be mindful of what you are eating, drinking and how quickly and how much.

Take it slowly. You won't die from lack of protein or food in the fist few weeks and months. Don't rush the protein intake or food. Listen to your body. Try not to obsess over food and what you might be able to eat in the future.

And finally - keep yourself moving. Exercise is good. Even if it's a simple walk around your house

Good luck!
  • DawnCumm
    Options
    Thanks, being ultra careful (now) with four ounces of protein drinks over 4 hour, seems to be working well. I can also tell feel when even 2 or three ounces is triggering a upset. Thanks for all the advice.....taking it slow and fingers are crossed. Also found Flinstone vitamins don't trigger anything, I know they are not the best but at least I can keep them down. Going to start hunting for liquid options that might work.