Has anyone tried ketogains macros?

Options
740p
740p Posts: 11 Member
Have you had success with that or do you prefer the 'traditional' macros for keto?

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    d51633epn2hq.jpeg

I much prefer ketogains macros.
    I used to do the very high fat more medically therapeutic type of keto diet but my goal is fat loss. I’m not treating cancer or a neurological condition so it makes sense for me.
    When I was following the higher fat version I lost a bunch of weight but was still quite fat. Now I think it’s scary to think how much of that loss was actually muscle since I was limiting protein so much.
    After photo 2, I stopped limiting protein and reduced fat (still high fat by traditional standards) and while I didn’t lose weight, actually gained a couple pounds, I lost more body fat.
  • CaraMerced
    CaraMerced Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Ketogains macro is what helped me lose 114 pounds. They are the best imo
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Me I do I have to count calories I won't lose weight if I'm not ultra strict
  • keto_strong
    keto_strong Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hadn't heard of Ketogains before coming across this post. Just read through the info on the site. I've been struggling with strength training recently .. more to do with recovery than endurance. I'm going to adjust my macros and see if I notice a difference. I'm not brave enough to not count calories as I still have 20 pounds to lose but the idea of increasing protein to help prevent muscle loss and aid in workouts makes sense. Thanks!!
  • Jigglypuff00
    Jigglypuff00 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I've checked out ketogains. But MFP doesn't let you input their percentages that way. Is there another way? Like I have 8% for carbs, but you can only enter 5 or 10 percent in here.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I've checked out ketogains. But MFP doesn't let you input their percentages that way. Is there another way? Like I have 8% for carbs, but you can only enter 5 or 10 percent in here.

The paid version of mfp allows for 1% increments or a specific number of grams. Most people don't need to be that precise for weight loss. Don't make this harder than it is. Keep your calories in check. Keep your carbs low. Come close every day. Choose the 5% increment that is closest to what you want and hover around it. The biological state of being in ketosis does not automatically cause weight loss. If it did, epilieptics who eat to be in ketosis every single day and have for years would have physically shrunk their body size to skin and bones. You can overeat and gain weight all while being in ketosis.

Very low carb or ketosis is helpful in that it suppresses hunger which makes it easier to to adhere to calorie restriction/limits. This is beneficial in both weight loss and life long weight maintenance.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

Just set it as close as you can so the grams equal as close as possible to what they’re supposed to. Being off a few grams either way isn’t going to make a difference.
  • wildthingsmom
    wildthingsmom Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm REALLY new to Keto. I'm using Keto OS which is supposed to add Ketones to help put me in Ketosis, but I'm also really focusing on my macros. I truly am at a loss between traditional Keto macros vs. less fat and more protein which it sounds like ketogains does. Also, any help on gross vs. net carbs would be great. Right now I'm shooting for net carbs of under 20 per day. Is that low enough? And how many grams of sugar should I be under?
  • __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I switched to Ketogains macros as of today. I have been keto six months and feel like I need to up my game a little. I'm hoping this little tweak helps!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Hi. I'm REALLY new to Keto. I'm using Keto OS which is supposed to add Ketones to help put me in Ketosis, but I'm also really focusing on my macros. I truly am at a loss between traditional Keto macros vs. less fat and more protein which it sounds like ketogains does. Also, any help on gross vs. net carbs would be great. Right now I'm shooting for net carbs of under 20 per day. Is that low enough? And how many grams of sugar should I be under?

I read through your profile so will base my response on what I perceive your goal to be: losing a few vanity pounds. I am not minimizing that. Each of us needs to feel comfortable and comfort varies for all of us. I have been in maintenance for 3.5 years and have experimented with various levels of low carb including keto. When you eat keto, you will most likely experience a water weight loss initially. Continue with keto and restricted calories and you will continue to lose weight slowly given you have only a few pounds to lose (be that ~5 or ~20). At the point in time you decide to no longer eat keto and increase your carbohydrate intake, you will most likely gain back the water weight you initially lost. That of course does not mean you will gain all the weight back. Some of it could have been fat loss.

Back in 2013 when I first started weight loss, I lost 6 pounds the 1st week via eating less and via low carb generally. In 2016 when I trialed keto for reason other than weight. I lost zero pounds. I was already at a good weight and already eating low carb. I did find for me personally, very low carb combined with high fat is excellent for satiety thus enables adherence to calorie restriction. I continue with LCHF for suppressed hunger to make eating at maintenance calories easier.

In regards to the Keto Os you are taking, being in ketosis is not a cause of weight loss and being deeper in ketosis is not a cause weight loss. If the Keto Os (ketosis) happens to reduce your hunger and you ultimately eat fewer calories because you are not hungry, weight loss will likely occur. Additionally if it happens to result increased energy and you become more active because of it, you may lose weight via more calories burned. One can be deep in ketosis, over eat and gain weight.

I am a strong advocate of keto for many reasons but it is not a weight loss miracle. Well, actually I do consider it a bit of a "miracle" in appetite suppression for me that did not happen during my 2 initial challenging years of maintenance that were not very low carb/high fat.
  • honeycrisp75
    honeycrisp75 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am just starting a keto diet. I have increased my fat and protein intake while trying to maintain less than 50 net carbs daily. I have to say that I am not hungry due to increasing fat intake. I am feeling pretty good right now. At times, I have gone over 50 grams slightly, but I definitely don't feel hungry and I am not craving carbs so much. Wish me luck! I want to drop 40 pounds and have not had luck, so thought maybe I would try this since so many people have had great results!