New member needs activity tips

Options
Hi, all. I'm 61, and I struggled with my weight in my 30s, then again after I turned 40. I lost about 25 pounds and kept them off until a couple years ago, in anticipation of my wedding and major surgery. I've since gained it all back. I'm trying to find a way to make this work for me, and I know it will help to have people in my corner who have similar struggles. My husband is terrific, but he has never had a weight problem, and he truly does not understand.

I'm not bad when it comes to calorie restriction, but I'm lousy when to comes to exercise. I have an arthritic knee, so things like running or squats are out. What works for y'alls?

Replies

• dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    You don't need to exercise to lose weight. All you need is a deficit in calories on a consistent basis. I'm 63 and am doing this a second time around unfortunately. Last time I lost 30 lbs in 3 1/2 months primarily with diet. I'm at one month now and 9 lbs down, so should make my goal around the same as last time. Because of my age and normally sedentary lifestyle I only am allotted 1200 calories a day to lose 2 lbs per week. When I do extra work around the house (therefore more active than normal) I log those calories but do not eat them back the way MFP expects you to do with exercise calories. They are just icing on the cake and add to my deficit. When I do exercise about 3 X week, 30 minutes a day I do videos such as Jane Fonda's old lady workouts on U Tube, Yoga, or Pilates. To be honest I don't want to become dependent on eating more calories by using those workout calories, because I know once I reach my goal I won't be as motivated to exercise. I'll send you a friend request if you want to be supported.
  • lori48089
    lori48089 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I'm new to the group. I quit smoking over a year ago and put on some weight. I was already overweight to start with. I'm having a difficult time sticking with anything and really need to lose at least 30 pounds
  • artmistresslisa
    artmistresslisa Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You are where I am Lori. 30 lbs is my goal. Not exercising. Have neuropathy in feet - hard to walk very much. Wear insulin pump that falls off when swimming. Using Diet only isn’t working well. On 1400 cal a day based on Dr recommendations. Will keep trying. Hubby is very supportive. Says we should bicycle more.
  • farmerdear1
    farmerdear1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi, all. I'm 61, and I struggled with my weight in my 30s, then again after I turned 40. I lost about 25 pounds and kept them off until a couple years ago, in anticipation of my wedding and major surgery. I've since gained it all back. I'm trying to find a way to make this work for me, and I know it will help to have people in my corner who have similar struggles. My husband is terrific, but he has never had a weight problem, and he truly does not understand.

I'm not bad when it comes to calorie restriction, but I'm lousy when to comes to exercise. I have an arthritic knee, so things like running or squats are out. What works for y'alls?

• AEPHubinc2015
    AEPHubinc2015 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'm 65 and want to lose 25-30 lbs. I don't care much how long it takes as long as I lose steadily.
    I'm a yoga and meditation teacher but, even though the yoga I teach is fairly rigorous, yoga isn't a great exercise for losing weight.
    I try to do 40-60 minutes on my ski machine each day but the meniscus in both knees has been torn for over 2 years so I sometimes have to pull back from that. I've been treating it with yoga and it's been helping me avoid surgery.
    I have periods of binging so my first goal was to stop doing that. I haven't binged in about a week. I already feel way less sluggish as a result.
    I've been losing and gaining this same 30 pounds all my life.
  • Matilda444
    Matilda444 Posts: 17 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I am the poster child of regular exercise! Jogging, Biking, Pilates, Weight Training and Swimming. I need a tribe of like minded women. I just turned 61. I have some good basic habits in place. I would love to share ideas and motivation with someone my age.