How to eat after achieving your goal weight

Options
leswa99
leswa99 Posts: 12 Member
Question for those of you that have been able to maintain after this WOE. Is it possible to transition to a more
Balanced meal by adding fruits, but staying away from “white”. I’m not anxious to eat this way forever, just worry
the weight might come right back. I have 15-20 pounds to lose.

Replies

• ClockWorKitten
    ClockWorKitten Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I am interested in this too, i am overweight and was for a long time and I am afraid that once I do lose weight I will put it back on or develop an eating disorder so any info would help.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    If you experienced that nice "water weight whoosh" in the beginning, I'll say to expect the same in the opposite if you start eating considerably higher carbs. I mean, read some of the experiences/post of folks during/after the holidays. If you have experienced suppressed hunger and reduced cravings during keto (making calorie adherence easier), expect that when you introduce higher carbs, the hunger and cravings will return. Again, read the experiences of others pre/during/post holidays.

I've been maintaining my weight loss for close to 4 years via some fashion of low carb. Only the last ~2 of those have been keto or very low carb. I'll say it is possible to introduce a little higher carb and maintain but it is an extremely slippery slope for most people.

To me, there is a vast difference between "a more balanced meal by adding fruit" and returning to my old high carb/over calorie/over weight ways of pre 2013.

I ate <20 carbs/day for 52 weeks (2016) as a trial (in maintenance) for a reason other than weight/fat management. In 2017, I became a bit more flexible with carb intake. I've not gained weight because I pay attention to what and how much I eat. Always. Both calories and carbs. My 2017 AVERAGE weekly carb intake was 50 grams per day so still within the keto realm of things.

What has worked for me living in my world is to adhere to 50 grams or less the majority of the days and on the FEW occasions it is not practical/convenient, I'll have more carbs. I had lasagna Christmas Eve but planned for it by eating low calorie/almost zero carb earlier in the day. Christmas Day offerings included cheese cake and chocolates. I had a little of both but skipped all appetizers, bread and had only a "taste" of potato casserole and salad which had a sweet dressing. During the holidays, I maintained within my usual 5 pound maintenance range.

TL:DR? If you return to your old way of eating day in and day out, carbs and calories, you will gain your weight back.

• Jigglypuff00
    Jigglypuff00 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    No matter what "diet" you are using, anytime you go back to the way you ate previously, you can expect to gain weight. Over the Christmas holiday I ate some carbs. Not much. I was still under in calories. I had a dinner roll (white bread), white potatoes and cranberry sauce. Not a whole lot with the potatoes and cranberries either. I gained a couple of pounds. Now, I know it's just water weight, but it's pretty frustrating.

I think the key when you go into maintenance, you slowly introduce healthy carbs. Fruit...try a bit of an apple. Not a whole apple, but just a portion. Monitor yourself. If you want bread, try a slice of whole grain instead of white. Monitor yourself. Just keep doing that, until your body accepts that it's getting sugar again. Some foods might not work. Some might. Always keep your foods in check until you know how it affects you. So even if in maintenance, you're still on a "diet" until you know how foods affect you.

The other night I had about 3 tbsp of Kraft Mac & cheese! LOL! Just a taste. I'm still in ketosis, and I didn't gain any weight. In fact, I lost a pound! So I think it's doable to introduce carbs, but you really have to watch it. Anyway, JMO. Good luck!
  • leswa99
    leswa99 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. I know I can’t go back to eating cookies, bread, potatoes, etc. I just love fruit, again, not bananas, or watermelons.
    I just would want apples, strawberries, blueberries. The more healthy fruits with more fiber.
    As to the slippery slope, you’re absolutely right. I just can’t have any or I will cave ;-)
  • maddog1769
    maddog1769 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    leswa99 wrote: »
    I’m not anxious to eat this way forever
    This is the hard part, you can NEVER think of it as a diet, a diet is an event that ends, Its all a mind set, you must change your way of of eating, of course it can come in stages, andchange and adapt, but its all about finding a way of eating that helps you maintain your desired weight,
    Like i said its a mind set, change your mind set and you change your way of eating.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    leswa99 wrote: »
    Thanks for your replies. I know I can’t go back to eating cookies, bread, potatoes, etc. I just love fruit, again, not bananas, or watermelons.
    I just would want apples, strawberries, blueberries. The more healthy fruits with more fiber.
    As to the slippery slope, you’re absolutely right. I just can’t have any or I will cave ;-)

Strawberries and blueberries (most berries for that matter) in small amounts (3-4 ounce servings) are usually considered to be low-carb. Most fruits do not have much fiber at all except avocado. They are called nature's candy for a reason. ;) Apples happen to be my personal favorite of all fruits. Alas, because they are so high in sugars and carbs, unless I lacto-ferment them first, I cannot eat them...too many carbs/sugars of any kind cause the peripherial neuropathy in my feet to flare up so for me, the answer to the question you asked is, no.

Also, I think it depends upon what your definition of a "balanced" diet is. For example, believe it or not, going full-out carnivore keto is actually a balanced diet and in case you are wondering, no, I don't do carnivore keto myself.

Here's a link to an interview with Dr. Shawn Baker (he is carnivore keto) on the Joe Rogan show. It's about 2 hours long but well worth a listen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj_Bc9hdHa0
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I wonder if Dr Shawn Baker's medical license has been reinstated?

OP, you'll just have to see what works for you in regards to fruit. I eat it. A small amount and not every day. Clementines, kiwi and fresh pineapple are my favorites. I mostly eat berries and coconut.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    I wonder if Dr Shawn Baker's medical license has been reinstated?

From what I understand he's is the final part of the process of making that happen.