Like Minded Lushes - Winter 2018

Options
SoCalWoman
SoCalWoman Posts: 2,384 Member
edited December 2017 in Social Groups
Welcome lushes to the new 2018 thread! Winter means staying warm with your friends, family and a good cocktail! Let's make this year a great one!! :drinker:

Replies

• SoCalWoman
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I've recovered from my house full on Christmas Eve and am starting to feel better. Just in time to host my annual New Years Eve party...a small bunch of about 10 or so. I'm starting to enjoy all the work we did on the house before the holidays. Quiet day today with a glass of wine and my book. Oh, Winter in San Diego consists of 80 degree weather. B) I'm actually ready for some rain.
  • ryzeman
    ryzeman Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Well we have your rain up here in the PacNW Syd! We hosted two Christmas parties attended by about 20 ppl each. It was exhausting but it was also good to see everyone. Just going to have our boys here for New Years Eve. Maybe I will stay up for the new year...

Thanks for starting the thread Sydney. A glass of wine and a good book is a great way to wind down from the holidays!
  • SoCalWoman
    Options
    Happy New Year lushes!! :drinker:
  • amcanzo
    amcanzo Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year!
    Shooting for a bit of abstinence this month, December was way too lushy...and the scale is very angry with me! :p
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year lushes.
    Thanks for starting the thread Syd.

I was a total slug on my time off. I needed it and I reveled in it. I made two batches of my egg nog. Home made is so much better than store bought, We really cut down our seafood fest for xmas and we really didn't eat much during the whole break. We didn't actually even drink that much. I still have some wine in a bottle in the fridge. WTF. I don't do that. So the new year brings on a quest for changing the rut. I am going to try to do something productive at home every day before I veg out.
  • Better_Balance_2011
    Better_Balance_2011 Posts: 3,711 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I had a 0 all of December..... Now I have had 2, working on a 3rd tonight. Temps in single digits in KY. Frozen pipes and ripped out ceilings! Good times. Happy New Year lushes!
  • rjadams
    Options
    It is quiet in here. So I have done something every day after work other than veg out so I am doing well on my quest. I really feel for those of you that are dealing with the cold. The west coast has been pretty mild during all of this chaos across the country. Ash I am impressed that you have zeros with frozen pipes nd ripped out ceilings. That would no be me.
  • SoCalWoman
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Ack Ashley! I'm with Robin, I'd be drinking.
    Got all the Christmas stuff down and the tree to the recycler. Time to start thinking about tackling the kitchen remodel. But first I'd like to see about booking a bday trip in April. It might be time to say Aloha B)
  • Better_Balance_2011
    Better_Balance_2011 Posts: 3,711 Member
    Options
    Well, it was good while it lasted. Or maybe not. B) We went to dinner and it was half price bottle night so naturally we drank one. Then had a scmirnoff seltzer at home. Then I made a decaf tea. Yay me.

I'll be drinking tonight since it's Friday and all but try to take it easy. Need to dump a little holiday fluff.
  • rjadams
    Options
    I am moderating well. Only had one Vodka yesterday and one little nightcap of port (2oz) That is a pretty good win for me.
  • ryzeman
    ryzeman Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I am moderating as well!
  • SoCalWoman
    Options
    Same. I'm still trying to figure out my best exercise plan. I've come to terms with the fact that in my mid 50s (gasp!), my body needs have changed and I can no longer just pound out cardio and call it a day. I think a Pilates program is actually what's best for me. Figuring out the best way to incorporate that into my daily routine is another matter. Especially since I'm not a joiner, and don't do well in class environments.
    To be continued...
  • justlog
    justlog Posts: 125 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Hey all.. Just stumbled on this group. I'm a like-minded lush that moderates (or tires to) beer consumption. I did while I lost and I still do while in maintenance (2 years).

Besides moderating.. I enjoy weightlifting, running, Pilates and some light yoga.
  • justlog
    Options
    SoCalWoman wrote: »
    Same. I'm still trying to figure out my best exercise plan. I've come to terms with the fact that in my mid 50s (gasp!), my body needs have changed and I can no longer just pound out cardio and call it a day. I think a Pilates program is actually what's best for me. Figuring out the best way to incorporate that into my daily routine is another matter. Especially since I'm not a joiner, and don't do well in class environments.
    To be continued...

50's here as well and my mind has shifted to what is sustainable long term. As you say, pounding stuff out may not work out so well.

I've moved to yoga, weights and pilates and it has worked well. If you are thinking pilates, I highly recommend it.
  • rjadams
    Options
    Welcome justlog. We all also have real names if you want to check out the "names" thread. Only one vodka last night no night cap. striving to keep it at only 1 per day all week.
  • amcanzo
    Options
    Moderating semi-well - Last week had zero's Mon-Thurs but had to try a bunch of new beers that were just released over the weekends...weekends always ruin my hard work... :p
    Mon-0
    Tonight - shooting for a zero
    It's finally warmer here...today it's 26 degrees! I probably don't need to wear my winter coat! Ha! :D
  • SoCalWoman
    Options
    Hi justlog...welcome! thanks for the comment...I agree I think your plan of yoga, weights and pilates is a good one. Do you do all 3 in a gym or do you have a home routine? I'm trying to find the best routine for me.
    By the way I'm Syd...like Robin said there is a name thread for the group here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10513927/names#latest.
  • justlog
    Options
    SoCalWoman wrote: »
    Hi justlog...welcome! thanks for the comment...I agree I think your plan of yoga, weights and pilates is a good one. Do you do all 3 in a gym or do you have a home routine? I'm trying to find the best routine for me.
    By the way I'm Syd...like Robin said there is a name thread for the group here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10513927/names#latest.

Thanks.. Updated..

I do everything at home, though, lately I've been working with a one-on-one Pilates instructor who is trained and certified in the Classical tradition. That has been a huge benefit. I'm a Pilates nut.

I don't do "heavy" lifting, but what I do has paid off in spades (at least for me). Serious lifters would consider it a weak routine but I have found immense benefits.

Pilates, yoga and weights have made significant improvements for my day to day life. Everything is easier and less injury prone.

Find what works best for you and go for it! I'm more than willing to share any insights I have based on my experiences.
  • amcanzo
    Options
    Welcome Dave! Always good to have another lush around! :)
  • justlog
    Options
    amcanzo wrote: »
    Welcome Dave! Always good to have another lush around! :)

Thank you!