Work travel help

Options
ally_rasm
ally_rasm Posts: 13 Member
Does anyone travel a lot for work and have some good tips for food and exercise?
When I'm traveling for work, usually 2-3 times a month, I fall off track.

Replies

• shonat11
    shonat11 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Hi, I also travel a fair bit for work but don't really have any tips as I also tend to not do too well while away. My schedule is often pretty tight so it's hard to fit in exercise and eating in restaurants is too much temptation for me !
    I'd also like to hear from anyone with useful tips.
    Shona
  • michelletanguay9530
    michelletanguay9530 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Tricks that work for me- make time for a five minute walk outside after work and before dinner ( even if just around the conference centre/hotel ) to reset before going to restaurant before lunch and dinner. Also staying in Airbnb rather than hotel - stop on way to room from airport and get cereal / skim milk /fruit or other healthy breakfast foods so you can start " right" . I don't even try to hit gym when travel working - I feel it sets me up to fail- I focus on keeping my food choices on track so as to not backslide
  • jess140mfp
    jess140mfp Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I struggle with the same thing. I travel m-th most weeks and food choices are generally pretty bad. Gained over 30 pounds on my last project. If I can I try to stay at a residence inn so I have a kitchen, but lately I've been stuck at the HI express.

I head out on the road again in a couple weeks. I'm going to try to spend as little time in my room as possible. Evening time alone after a stressful day is when I'm tempted to eat massive quantities of anything that holds still long enough. I may try to hit the gym but I'm going to consider that a bonus.
  • huruta22
    huruta22 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi. I travel a lot for work as well. Sometimes I "win" but most of the time I "lose" and its definitely a source of weight gain. It's harder when I'm overseas and in places where uncooked food has often made me sick (Ghana, India) but in the US here are some strategies I'm trying to use:
    • Bring apples and measured out nuts in baggies as a backup snack to tie me over (used this on my last trip and it worked great for times when it would have been easy to get room service or where I would have overeaten at dinner. This is particular helpful for me because there are always times when I am HUNGRY and it's an easy default)
    • Search for grocery store before I leave and try and get breakfast/snacks there (didn't work last time, google maps was wrong but has worked in the past)
    • Search for nearby restaurants with a good "healthy" profile with calorie counts (in DC had breakfast at Pret a Manger which has calorie counts listed and some decent options and lunch at Chop-T a salad bar with calorie counts listed which helped guide choices)
    • Control the wine refills (function dinners where they continuously pour wine are calorie hazard so I decline the refills until I'm really ready....usually have 2 glasses)
    • At function dinners chose the fish instead of the steak/lamb. The portions tend to be smaller and it's healthier
    • Go for a run (or walk) and see a new city in the morning or between afternoon session and dinner (Lincoln memorial and Washington monument are always nice)
    • Do your best tracking your food in real time...it kept me on track even though it was a lot of guess work
    • Skip the bread at dinner (or just have 1 piece) there's usually plenty of food that more satisfying

There are no easy answers here in my opinion - just strategies. Best of luck on your next trip and happy travels. My next is vacation in Croatia. I'm hoping to eat lots of seafood and just not gain!
  • Agkerrick
    Agkerrick Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I carry apples, oranges, nuts, epic bars and RX bars with me when I travel overnight. I also do lots of driving and I make sure to pack food that I can eat without reheating.
  • SanDiegofitmom
    SanDiegofitmom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I travel a lot too and tend to go to work dinners that are hard to avoid not going way over on calories. My tricks are nuts, eating a really calorie light/ protein dense breakfast (poached eggs, fruit) and then I also try to get outside and walk in the morning before meetings - I motivate myself by blogging about my travel experiences.
  • taraf33
    taraf33 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I travel a lot for work. I could use some travel buddies to help keep me on track. I gain most of my weight when I travel. Big dinners and too many drinks!!