Fortune Feature: "Fighting T2D With Food"

Options
RalfLott
RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
Fighting Diabetes With Food
http://fortune.com/2017/06/29/trulia-virta-health-diabetes-app/

"The goal is to create a plan dramatic enough that it lowers blood sugar, but not so extreme that it’s unsustainable. In a clinical trial conducted in partnership with Indiana University Health, researchers found that 56% of the roughly 240 participants on the Virta platform lowered their blood sugar below diabetic levels by the end of the 10-week trial, and 87% no longer needed insulin.

"Whether these results can be maintained is another question. The first couple of months of a diet are easy compared with an indefinite, fry-less future. Hallberg contends that the personalized support paired with the benefits of reduced medication and weight loss will keep people motivated despite the copious research establishing how hard most people find it to change their patterns."

Replies

• RalfLott
    Options
    <refresh> for new members.
  • Jigglypuff00
    Jigglypuff00 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I lowered my blood glucose from around 180 to around 100 in 10 weeks. Most of the time it's below 100 now. A few times it's been in the 80's and a couple of times I had in the 70's. I will be doing more testing after meals soon, to see how I do handling different foods. I had the sugar free bread by Nature's Own yesterday, 2 slices. My sugar spiked up to 119 for the first 2 hours, then came back down below the before meal reading for the 3rd hour. So I was happy. Not happy that it spiked but happy it came back down.

I have an appointment with a diabetes educator and a registered dietitian in the next few weeks. When I'm down about what I want my weight to end up, I want to reintroduce carbs slowly. Hopefully I'll find a happy medium.
  • RalfLott
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I lowered my blood glucose from around 180 to around 100 in 10 weeks. Most of the time it's below 100 now. A few times it's been in the 80's and a couple of times I had in the 70's. I will be doing more testing after meals soon, to see how I do handling different foods. I had the sugar free bread by Nature's Own yesterday, 2 slices. My sugar spiked up to 119 for the first 2 hours, then came back down below the before meal reading for the 3rd hour. So I was happy. Not happy that it spiked but happy it came back down.

I have an appointment with a diabetes educator and a registered dietitian in the next few weeks. When I'm down about what I want my weight to end up, I want to reintroduce carbs slowly. Hopefully I'll find a happy medium.

Your testing habit should serve you well through your journey!

I met with a small herd of dietitians and diabetes "educators" before I found one who wasn't tethered to the ADA's crazy, carb-happy guidelines. Worth the wait, though!

https://youtu.be/da1vvigy5tQ
  • EdinTx
    EdinTx Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    it's working for me. whole food, plant based, no oil diet is working