Diet soda and keto?

Options
Diet soda is discouraged by a lot of diets. Is it discourages in keto? If so, can you explain why? Thank you!

Replies

• ketofire51
    ketofire51 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    some of the artificial sweeteners can throw people out of ketosis so they don't recommend them. I've had a very occasion coke zero and it didn't bother me, but many would call me a low carber instead of a ketonian. To each his own.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I avoid artificial sweeteners because they mess with my satiety signals. They make it harder to just eat as much as I want without tracking or measuring anything. It isn't that I won't ever have any. I don't bring them into the house, though. I only have them when out, because of the self-control issues they tend to cause. But, like ketofire51, I don't really fall under the strict "keto" label. My way of eating is naturally ketogenic (as a side effect), but it's not my main focus.

The vast majority of keto-ers that I know are accepting of artificial sweeteners. Some of them avoid specific ones (like the sugar alcohols) because of glycemic response or gut issues, but most keto people accept them as fine. The goal is to stay under your carb limit and make sure that you are staying in ketosis. If you can do that with artificial sweeteners, and they don't otherwise impact your goals, have at them.
  • __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I personally avoid aspartame like the plague because of all the research I've done on it. It's suuuuuper bad for our bodies. I try to stick to natural sweeteners like stevia or erythrotol, but let the occasional sugar alcohol in.

Some keto folks are sensitive to any sweeteners, natural or artificial. They can trigger an insulin responsr and cause cravings in some people. Or in the case of sugar alcohols, digestive upset.

I drink a can of Zevia soda (stevia sweetened) every day and have no problem staying in ketosis. I love the stuff because it fits the bill when I desire something sweet. I don't find it makes me any more hungry, but I'm probably acclimatized to it because it's been a part of my keto-ing since day one.
  • pattycakes_bakersman
    Options
    It doesn't knock me out of ketosis but diet soda can be very addictive, which can cause emotional eating and carb relapse. I save it for the movies or when I get an occasional lettuce-wrapped burger.
  • scarlettbegonia
    scarlettbegonia Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Makes me crave sweet things, doesn’t matter on which sweetener it is- I try to seriously avoid aspartame though as I was addicted to it years back at my heaviest and sickest and as I slowly removed the aspartame I removed the inflammation, migraines and cravings
  • squeeeyk
    squeeeyk Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I don't do soda simply because it is so easy for me to drink my way to calorie overload. I removed it from my diet years ago and slowly let it creep back in over the last 2 years...but now I've kicked it out again in favor of water and tea. I have difficulty meeting water requirements as I'm just not thirsty enough, so soda isn't helpful.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I'm able to do diet sodas with no issue, they don't trigger food cravings, they don't seem to make me feel any different, and they are a great option when I am craving something just a bit sweet.

For some people artificial sweeteners cause an insulin response, and that's why some people avoid them for keto diets.