Ridiculously frustrated

Options
mdubs6
mdubs6 Posts: 5 Member
I'll just vent for a second if that's ok. I'm a personal trainer. A crossfit trainer. I should know how to lose body fat, right? I've been logging my intake without exercise to balance. So really, I'm under intake. I workout 6 days a week, often twice a day. I can back squat double my body weight. I can run a 5k in under a half hour. I get a good average of 7 hours of sleep a night. There are no pituitary or hormonal issues with me. I'm doing all the right things! Aren't I? Evidently not. My intake is less than my output or right at it.... sounds like I'm doing the right things, right?

NO. I don't fit in clothes from 2 months ago. I've GAINED 10 pounds in the past 3 months. I've been trying really hard for 7 months now to lose some weight. All I'm doing is gaining. I'm really tired of hating what I see in the mirror.

Has anyone else had a similar issue? Or is having?

Replies

• DananaNanas
    DananaNanas Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Um I'm not a personal and/or cross fit trainer but I can sort of relate.
    I teach dance and I constantly have advice for my girls on how to work out and eat (if they ask) and just generally stay in shape.

I look in the mirror and I just hate what I see. I'm like 2 pounds away from not being overweight anymore but I still don't have that "dancer body" that I would love to have and serve as a healthy example for my students :(
  • Fivepts
    Fivepts Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Have you had your liver enzymes tested? Just a thought, from personal experience.
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Try to go back to maintenance and find what your intake should be; then cut slowly and eat back your exercise calories. It's likely that you're creating too big a deficit and unintentionally binging, if you're not logging your exercise calories (and it sounds like you work out a lot!).
  • mdubs6
    Options
    Thanks you guys. I don't think it's binging.... it's probably timing. I eat the bulk of my calories at night. I hate it.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    What are your stats? Are you trying to maintain a really low bodyfat%? I agree with the above to find maintenance again (as you could be using the wrong numbers), tighten your logging, maybe even ease up on the exercise (exercise is good but too much can add stress and make weightloss that much more difficult).
  • mdubs6
    Options
    Maybe someone could follow me or whatever on here? Double check me? I actually overshoot my portion logging because I'm pretty sure I just overeat... when I do eat.
  • ALCF69
    ALCF69 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm 49 years old and have been battling through injury, menopause and stress to get back to my fighting weight (10 lbs away). Sadly for me, I simply have to eat less than someone else might because - in part - a history of eating disorders. Since I've been tired and I'm prone to stress eating, I've been lax about implementing what I know I need to do. Nonetheless, I know what works for me at least - I learned the most about calories and macros (as well as meal timing - what matters and doesn't) from a great book called Secret Life of Fat. It's an academic but readable book about the complexity of fat in the body. Some of the info was known, but even after nearly a lifetime of fitness education and training (gyms, crossfit, dance, diet, nutritionists etc. etc.etc) there was a lot that was new too. If you are stuck, have a read (or a listen). It's the most useful health information I've come across in years. Good luck. Be Kind to yourself; your body in any form is a blessing.
  • ugofatcat
    ugofatcat Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    @mdubs6 you are using a food scale right?
  • bosskaren
    bosskaren Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Have you tried counting macros? I had the same problem for years with crossfit and realized I wasn't eating near enough protein and way too much fat. Give macros a try.
  • tnshayne
    tnshayne Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    A couple thoughts, since I've been there:

- How much water are you drinking?
    - Are you digesting properly (what goes in must come out...daily)? Upping your fiber helps
    - How much dairy are you eating? Cheese and cream kill my progress
    - Are you drinking? I definitely still drink, but I won't touch beer. Red wine is my go-to
    - Are you eating sugar-free stuff? Those chemicals will make you put on weight
    - Any medications to research? My doc told me some meds wouldn't make me gain, but I looked them up and there were lists of complaints from everyone and their mothers

I've got more, but I'll start with that
  • wendolinovich
    wendolinovich Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm really frustrated at the moment too, and I've jumped back on here because I have no idea what I'm doing wrong anymore.

I thought my 2-week holiday would get me back on track 'cause I've been good with exercise and food, but no. I'm keto and I think even though I thought I've been good, at restaurants and eating out, you can't really read the labels...

Good luck in your journey, hope you nail it soon! Hopefully it's just a small adjustment that makes a difference.

With me, I've (re)started commuting and I think the issue has been that I over-pack food in fear of running out and starving on the train home (ha). Today is back at work after a holiday and I've packed a lot less, calorie counted, and we'll see how I go.

I'll be reading here for ideas from others, though, thanks guys!

My one fear is that it's hormonal/age-related for me. That would suck.
  • shazzamprice
    shazzamprice Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    yes, sounds familiar.Only want to lose a couple of KG but nothing will be budge. I count my macros using Avatar nutrition, weight train 5 days a week and do cardio 5 days including low and high intensity stuff. Im at 1460 cals at the moment and going nowhere? I definitely burn more than I eat?? Have had a history of eating disorder so maybe ive ruined my metabolism? :(
  • strongerbytheday
    strongerbytheday Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I encourage you to use a food scale, set to grams and weight everything that you eat and log every single bite. I would do this for at least 2 weeks (preferably a month, to allow hormonal fluctuations) then, if you don't see a change, you may need to adjust your calories down. I use calories and macros from the calculator on IIFYM.com. It is more about CICO than anything else but adjusting macros does help some people in satiety and muscle preservation during weight loss. Are you eating back your exercise calories? MFP tends to over estimate exercise calories burned, this could totally be your issue, with how much your exercise! Please keep us posted on your progress!
  • Havanaohlala
    Havanaohlala Posts: 52 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    lol Since there is a Woo button, the silent haters are using it against every opinion that include a pinch of honesty. :D haha
  • chasityhall99
    chasityhall99 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    it could be water weight? but 10 pounds, could also be excessive amounts of carbs
  • sarasoarusrex
    sarasoarusrex Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Intermittent Fasting?