Jumpstart January 2018: Week 2 (1/8-1/14)

Options
baconslave
baconslave Posts: 6,955 Member
Obligatory repeat of the ol' challenge blurb :wink:
baconslave wrote: »
Here we are. Another year gone. But a new one is starting, and in keeping with the tradition of a New Year Resolution, we have a challenge for you aiming at helping you KEEP those resolutions this year.
It's the perfect time to Jumpstart your health!

I do go on and on about one B-word. The Basics. Why? Because they're important. It may not be sexy, or catchy, but take it from a person who lost the weight and has kept the majority of it off (Hey! I'm human. It's probably vanity weight, but it offends me with it's existence, alright? :lol: .) Keeping the low-carb basics locked-in is where it's at if you are wanting to actually succeed long-term. Minding the Basics will continue to serve you all the way to your goal weight and will keep you in maintenance.

So what are these Basics?
  • Planning ahead!!!
  • Staying under carbs
  • Staying under calories
  • Logging and measuring
  • Getting in exercise/movement if that's one of your goals
  • Keeping an eye on electrolyte levels
  • Getting enough water
  • Planning ahead!!! Oh, wait. I said that already? Yes, I frickin' did. Because you must! "Failing to plan is planning to fail."

Last month we focused on the basics in an effort to avoid gaining during a hectic time of year. There were lots of treats around. But many of us managed to hit our goals and not gain. Some of us even lost a few pounds, or gained insight into our own patterns when faced with pressure.

Consistency + Persistence + Time = Success

I really can't parrot that cliché formula enough. Because it's true.

Let us know your resolutions, or even just a way you'd like to challenge yourself this month if you aren't much into resolutions. Any low-carb plan is welcome. Just post your monthly goals and/or beginning weight, or if you are just planning to maintain through the month, or have NSVs to achieve, check-in daily or weekly with how well you did.
You can report your progress to your goal, whether it be ultra-obsessive daily hitting your low-carb plan basics, or working on a fitness goal, or even nailing down other good habits in your life. Anything is fair game as long as it's in pursuit of your health or fitness. And if you have problems or need advice, you'll find that here.

This challenge will be in the stickies at the top of the Group, with links inside to the weekly threads. So if the weekly threads get buried in our busy group, you'll be able to easily find in in the sticky. 2-clicks and BAM.

Before you start, think about your goals. For measurable resolutions, we recommend getting a baseline.

Here are some ideas (abridged from @FIT_Goat in this post For Those with New Year Resolutions):
  • Get an average of your most recent weigh-ins for a good idea of your starting weight.
  • Record your food, even if you're estimating. Sure, it will be a little higher in calories/junk due to the holiday season but it will still be better than having nothing.
  • Take body measurements and pictures. To make sure they are accurate, take several sets of measurements and average them. Or watch this video on how to measure yourself so that you are actually measuring the same spots every time. You never need to show/share these with anyone, but you might be surprised how willing you will be to share them when you have success.
  • Make an exercise log and try for your current personal bests (even if they're nothing to be proud of). Again, a starting number is better than nothing. It will show you how much you have achieved.
  • If you're also doing something else (like quitting smoking), the same idea applies. Take a starting measurement, like how many cigs or packs per day. You'll often be shocked at how much growth you make.
Remember changes are often slow and hard to see in the mirror. The scale is lazy and doesn't always readily reflect genuine progress. Measurements and pics will help you really see what's going on behind the scenes. And speaking of invisible progress, how you feel (improved health and/or energy) are great markers that your change is working.

Sooooo...go ahead and introduce yourself and/or post your goals when you are ready. Challenge starts on the 1st.

Here's a sample format for how you can report on various goals if you'd like:
Monday 1/1:

Water: Yep. :flowerforyou:
Electrolytes Good: :flowerforyou:
Logged Food: :flowerforyou:
Exercise as Planned: Strength training :flowerforyou:
At or Under Carb Level: :flowerforyou:
At or Under Calorie Limit: Yes! :flowerforyou:
Planned Day Ahead: Yes! :flowerforyou:
7/7

This is a fresh new year.
Own it.

We'll be here to cheer you on.

Happy New Year and make that resolution stick.

Replies

• Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    IN!!!

What I've been doing:
    Keto level carbs
    More water
    Salt water in the evening
    DE in the morning
    Workout Mon-Thurs (Strength, LISS, LISS [may switch second LISS to HIIT next week], Strength)
  • mlinton_mesapark
    mlinton_mesapark Posts: 517 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Jumping in on Week 2.

SW: 184.8
    Height: 5' 8-1/2"

Planning ahead: There's a fair amount of meat in the fridge and freezer. I need to run some cabbage through the food processor and restock some veggies and other groceries. Doing some meal prep today and possibly tomorrow, since these are my two days off during the week. Shrimp, pork and grass fed beef will be on the menu this week. I could stand to boil some eggs. I'm doing batch-prep of single ingredients, to make whipping something up on the fly fairly easy.

Staying under carbs: I'm going more Paleo/slow carb than low carb these days, but under 150-200 tops, with most days under 100.

Staying under calories: Shooting for 1850 or fewer calories per day. It's been easy while I've been sick and resting. This week will be the test as I begin to get back into my normal routines (hopefully--I'm ready to not be sick.)

Logging and measuring: 4 days in a row so far, shooting for 7 or better. I don't measure much, but I'm pretty good at eyeballing things most of the time. I do have the food scale and measuring cups/spoons handy in case I need them.

Getting in exercise/movement if that's one of your goals: Walk 3x per week, minimum 10 minutes. (Starting small, trying to build consistency while I'm focusing on healing.)

Keeping an eye on electrolyte levels - pickle juice, olive brine and caper brine are my go-to's, but I am thinking of working in an Epsom salt bath or two this week, plus may start supplementing Mg and K again.

Getting enough water - This is easy for me as long as I'm keeping coffee and alcohol in check, which I am. No alcohol while I'm on antibiotics, and I'm sticking with only one cup of coffee at breakfast.

Work lunches will either come from home or I'll go home to make something. I am lucky to live 5 minutes from work.

Best of success, everyone!
  • Koso2006
    Koso2006 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Good Morning!!! I am in for another week!!!

Yesterday was good!! Scale was nice this morning!!
    1) Stay within carb range :)
    2) 64 oz of water or more daily :)
    3) 6,000+ steps daily :)

Have already hit my step goal today and my water goal. Am currently at 12 grams net carbs with lunch counted.

Have a great day everyone!!!
  • baconslave
    Options
    Bump
  • tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Sunday copied Saturday, felt good.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Weighed in: :)
    Electrolytes: Hm I forgot but I feel good ... I have an early morning and long day tomorrow though so I should be sure to have some in the morning!
    Logged Food: :)
    Exercise as Planned: :)
    At or Under Carb Level: :)
    At or Under Calorie Limit: :)
    Went to bed by goal time: Nope. Must go to bed by 10:15 tonight.
  • bozmo
    bozmo Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Results for 1/8:

Log all food :)
    Stay under carbs :)
    Plan tomorrows food :) chicken for lunch and burgers on keto bread with cauliflower hash browns
    Exercise :) 4.5k jogging from zombies
    Stretch :) almost forgot - good thing I logged!

I can do this! Today went well. I felt "snacky" from the carbs this weekend, but I made good choices.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Roll Tide Roll! What a game. My daily exercise goal met too.
  • Koso2006
    Koso2006 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Everyone!!!!

Yesterday was a great day! Today will be as well!!
    1) Stay within carb range :)
    2) 64 oz of water or more daily :)
    3) 6,000+ steps daily :)

Getting ready to do my morning walking workout and then off to work.

Have a great day!!
  • baconslave
    Options
    Sunday 1/7:

Exercise as Planned: HIIT and Tabata for 40ish min :flowerforyou:
    7/7

Mon. 1/8:
    Exercise as Planned: No. Too many errands, too little time. :heartbreak: :
    6/7

Guess who still has no water. It's supposed to reach 50 today. It had better happen. :rage:

• Cadori
    Options
    Food - :+1:
    Water - :+1:
    Sleep - :+1:
    Exercise - :+1: LISS-25 minutes elliptical @ ~4mph. Was hoping for 30 minutes, but I did make it to 2 miles. My drive was miserable because it's RAINING. In CALIFORNIA!
  • Cadori
    Options

Guess who still has no water. It's supposed to reach 50 today. It had better happen. :rage:

Oh. Crap.
  • baconslave
    Options
    Cadori wrote: »

Oh. Crap.
    To put it mildly.

If I didn't homeschool and had to take my kids to school unwashed for days and had to go to work all nasty I would have flipped my shizz long before now. It's going to take me forever to get caught up on all the dishes, laundry (even though we've been sucking it up and wearing clothes for days at a time there's still plenty), kitchen mess, showers, filling back up the emergency water containers. Plus the house is still a wreck from us being sick. :grumble:
  • taylok23
    taylok23 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Baconslave, I don’t know how you are sane!

I started getting sick this weekend and was ravenous for lunch so probably ate more than to satiety. I wasn’t hungry for dinner but still ate a salad (feed a cold?) so two strikes on resolutions there. Sunday was all good.

Still sick Monday and felt snacky all day so I guess I stopped when satisfied? I did eat when not hungry so there’s a strike. As soon as I kick this cold I’ll get these resolutions under control!
  • tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    For 1/8
    Only goals met were weigh in and logging due to jury duty. BUT, I did not get picked so yay, back to my regular scheduled programming today.
  • mlinton_mesapark
    mlinton_mesapark Posts: 517 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Water: check
    Electrolytes Good: supplemented mg glycinate, sought out high potassium foods, will drink more pickle juice before bed to stave off the midnight headache.
    Logged Food: check
    Exercise as Planned: planned to rest today, since I both walked and did Tae Kwon Do yesterday
    At or Under Carb Level: Yes, 118 (gross—a substantial amount is fiber)
    At or Under Calorie Limit: Yes, 1551 (1850 goal)
    Planned Day Ahead: Yes—food options are prepped and ready.

@baconslave, hope y’all get water back asap. I can’t imagine functioning without it. My hat’s off to you. Hope your household is all well soon.
  • 2missdaxa
    2missdaxa Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, is there a particular type of pickle juice you're drinking?
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    2missdaxa wrote: »
    Hi guys, is there a particular type of pickle juice you're drinking?

DILL pickle juice. You can buy jugs of juice on line but I've never done that. I just buy jars of Mt. Olive dill pickles, eat the pickles and drink the juice. There's nothing special about Mt Olive. It is just a popular brand in my area. Sometimes I buy Publix or Harris Teeter or Food Lion. If I lived in Pittsburgh it would be Heinz, Vlasic or Giant Eagle.

DILL pickles though. They have lots of salt and no sugar. It's all about the salt for electrolyte balance.
  • klelk2
    klelk2 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    January goals:

1/7
    Lose 8 lbs (-3.8 lbs)
    Drink 80+oz water/day incl 1 Electrolyte Drink B)
    Stay under 20 net carbs/day (Keto) B)
    Meal prep 1 day/week B)
    Stay on budget-No eating out B)

1/8
    Lose 8 lbs (-3.8 lbs)
    Meal prep 1 day/week B)

1/9
    Lose 8 lbs (-3.8 lbs)
    Meal prep 1 day/week B)

Starting Weight:
    1/1/18- 230.4
    1/7/18- 226.6

Sorry I forgot I’m supposed to check in daily. I lost 3.8 lbs for the week and my goal is looking good. Water all day every day. I’ve been very good with my carbs and no eating out though I have been tempted and my family has been trying their best to get me to give in. Only home cooked meals this month. We’ve saved a ton just this first week of not eating out. Chicken will go in the slow cooker when I wake up for meals the rest of the week.