January Challenge: Happy 2018!

Options
Hey everyone! Welcome to the New Year!

The January spreadsheet is ready.

If there's anything you forgot to fill in for December, just let me know and I'll add it.

This is it, a new year and a chance to start fresh! I, for one, could use a bit of a fresh start. I've already started making changes already including decreasing my rate of loss from 1 pound to 1/2 pound. I'm also going to focus on other things beside fat loss this year which is why I'm starting off my 2018 with two challenges:

1. 30 active minutes for 30 days (This can include any activity such as shopping, cleaning, intentional exercise, can be split up into increments, etc but I must have 30 active minutes every day for 30 days)

2. I plan to journal every day for the entire year

What are your goals? (Short term, long term, just for today, the week, this month, for the year) Tell us all about it here!

Replies

• pezhed
    pezhed Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Happy new year everyone!

Nice goals Kayla!! I think I will join you in your 30 active minutes a day goal! So including that one, here is my full list:
    1. Kris and I are doing dry January together! This will be good because I find it difficult to not drink when he’s drinking.
    2. 30 active minutes a day for 30 days (thanks Kayla!)
    3. Lose 5 lbs from whatever I weigh tomorrow. So scared of stepping on the scale because I know I’ve gained a substantial amount
    4. Register for a race (at least a 10k) and start training sometime this month

Looking forward to 2018 with all of you! <3
  • WifiresGettingFit
    WifiresGettingFit Posts: 1,773 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    @pezhed Awesome goals! Glad to have you join the 30 days 30 active minutes challenge!

Got my 30 minutes in for the day! (and my journal done.)
  • RhiannonBecks
    RhiannonBecks Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies, I am looking forward to January as a fresh start as well. My goals are going to be short term for now, I have long term goals, but for me, smaller portions of time I think will be easier to attain. For the next 30 days I hope to accomplish:

1) Log into MFP daily, ideally that would mean diary/log food daily, but for now, I want a 30 day streak (this is key for commitment to myself)

2) Weighing in only every Wednesday ( I used to weigh in daily, and It messes w/me mentally) - this will actually be quite challenging for me ( for me this is key to tracking successes that are non scale; clothes, energy levels etc)

3) Avoid making low carb sweet treats/fat bombs etc. I am doing a mod carb WOE, allowing me more carbs than I did on Keto, but using those extra carbs for some fruits, additional higher carb veg.

4) Add 1 more day into the gym & with that, continue to add more weight as I learn all about weightlifting in my classes.

Happy New year :)
  • SheilAnneSmith
    SheilAnneSmith Posts: 202 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Good morning! Here are my goals for January, I'll be checking in but don't think I'll be using the spreadsheet this month. It's going to be a very, crazy busy month at work--and coupled with extra tracking of glucose readings for the doctor, I don't feel like even more tracking and transferring of data.

1. Manage my blood glucose levels with diet and exercise--I've been doing great during the day but my fasting numbers in the morning are pushing the upper goals I have--I'm adjusting nighttime snacks to try and bring them down, really hoping to find the right balance to avoid drugs.
    2. Continue to be active each morning-- currently getting 30-40 minutes in and breaking a sweat each morning by cleaning out the cow shed, it's a chore, exercise and therapeutic to talk to my girls each morning.
    3. Menu plan and explore new recipes-- I've found I tolerate beans and barley really well as complex carbs, so I'm looking for new recipes that include them to keep my carb intake up and glucose down.
    4. Pack dinners for late nights at work-- I have my major event for the year coming up Feb 7-9th, I'll be working many late nights between now and then. It's going to take an extra round of planning to ensure I have quality food with me for not only lunch, but dinner as well.
    5. Take breaks at work to walk-- I have a tendency to just work through lunch and breaks, but even if it means I stay an extra hour at the end of the day, I need to take time to get out of the office and go walk...especially if I'm working 12 hour days-- it'll keep me healthier and happier!
    6. Contact the hospital birthing center about classes, ect-- I'm over half-way through the pregnancy, I suppose I should actually start to think about the end game!

• WifiresGettingFit
    Options
    Awesome goals ladies!
  • WifiresGettingFit
    Options
    I'm starting off my 2018 with two challenges:

1. 30 active minutes for 30 days (This can include any activity such as shopping, cleaning, intentional exercise, can be split up into increments, etc but I must have 30 active minutes every day for 30 days)

Week one was a success! All challenges completed!

How is everyone else doing on their goals?
  • RhiannonBecks
    Options
    @WifiresGettingFit so far I have hit 2/4 of my goals for the week (caved & weighed in every day instead of just Wednesdays) and haven't added an extra day into my workouts yet. DOH. It will happen, probably making excuses but have been very busy.

I will get a workout in tomorrow but then am gone until late sunday, though will likely burn quite a bit, going to MN- Mall of America, Glow snow tubing, etc. So will be quite active all weekend, hopefully that will help.

Food /logging have basically been on point though which makes me very proud! Great job on completing all of your challenges!
  • WifiresGettingFit
    Options
    @RhiannonBecks Awesome job! I hope you enjoy your weekend, sounds fun! =)
  • pezhed
    pezhed Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    @WifiresGettingFit great job hitting your goals!
    @RhiannonBecks great job hitting 2 or your 4 goals! Sounds like you've hit the important ones!

So far I've stuck with not drinking, 30 active minutes each day (I skipped the 1st since we were driving for 14 hours but every day since we've been back has been good), and the other two are month-long so I'll keep working toward those and maintaining the first two!
  • WifiresGettingFit
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Awesome job! @pezhed (thought I had replied to this already...oops)

Another successful challenge week is in the books but I'm pretty sure I've eaten enough food the past couple days to feed a family of five so need to reign that *kitten* in.

How's everyone else doing?
  • WifiresGettingFit
    Options
    Last week was another successful challenge week! I even had 5 out of the 7 days where I was under my calorie goal. Of course the two days that I wasn't did take a good chunk out of the deficit but still - it's progress!

Anyone have any updates of their progress?
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    Great job @WifiresGettingFit! I plan to rejoin the spreadsheet and challenges in February. I am down a couple more pounds which is making me really happy.
  • WifiresGettingFit
    Options
    @puffbrat Awesome job! Look forward to having you back on the spreadsheet! =)
  • RhiannonBecks
    Options
    I am just over the moon about my 25 day streak, log in with MFP. I think this is a personal record for me! Doesn't sound like much, but this means every day, even on the weekends I took time to at least open my app to keep myself accountable! I've avoided low carb sweet treats, but mainly bc we decided to change our WOE, which allows for a bit more wiggle room. I am hoping I can keep up with my logging while on vacation, but I will say typically when we are away I turn my phone off & just enjoy the time there, so we will see.

Have a great rest of your week & weekend ladies!
  • WifiresGettingFit
    Options
    @RhiannonBecks Awesome job! Hope you have a good rest of your week and weekend as well! =)
  • WifiresGettingFit
    Options
    Well my eating has been out of hand this last week but I still completed all the challenges!
  • SheilAnneSmith
    SheilAnneSmith Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I hope everyone had a good January. It's been crazy and busy here for me. I'm juggling trying to eat right, yet still having 10 more days of long work days and getting home late.

I'm 25 weeks on Friday and hovering around 9ish pounds gained, which I'm pretty happy with so far.

I've done pretty good with my goals for the month, I've been able to keep blood sugars within goal the majority of the time. It's usually something I thought would be OK that pushed me a bit higher than I wanted--mostly when I grab something on the run because I didn't have time to pack a lunch...soup from the store with sneaky sugar added or a sandwich shop whose "wheat" bread was not really much of a wheat bread...but rather brown tinged white bread.

I'm scheduled to start a 6 week birthing class at the hospital on Feb 26th and also taking part in a pelvic/back pain study at the university that week as well...they are doing some massage manipulation deal--for 1 1/2 hours of my time I'll get $150, diapers and a wrap carrier of some sorts and continued access to the massage technique for the reminder of my pregnancy for free...yes please!

• WifiresGettingFit
    Options
    @SheilAnneSmith I hope the 10 days go fast so you can relax a bit! Way to go on your goals!
  • WifiresGettingFit
    Options

January was a success challenge wise! Calorie wise, not so much.
This discussion has been closed.