Does anyone else get REALLY sore from stretching?

Options
Geocitiesuser
Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
We've been doing partner stretching all week long, and since I'm so flexible everyone's always like "Do you even feel that???" and push me to go as far as I can.

But in the morning, omg, I can barely move. I'm pounding water and eating fruit to try to be able to move like a human being again. It gets better as the day goes on obviously, but wow. More sore from stretching than I ever get from weight lifting or exercise.

Replies

• HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    No, NEVER, EVER. You're being pushed too far in classes, or you're not warming up enough first. Perhaps both.

Seriously, this does not sound okay. I have worked hard on my flexibility on and off during my life, and succeeded very well with it indeed, and I have never ever been done in like that. Not even when I was working really hard on getting the splits.

You should only go as far as feels bearably a bit uncomfortable each time, and trust that repetition will see your range of motion extend.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    That's where I go. Just to where it's a bit uncomfortable. Could be a combo of taking some time off + the stretching, but my hams feel like they are made of concrete today.

I am always more flexible on weeks where I don't do stretching for whatever reason. If I don't stretch for a week or two I can drop to a full split no problem. But today I can barely cross my leg over my lap
  • HeliumIsNoble
    Options
    That would be microfibre tears. If you push yourself too far, you make tonnes of tiny tears across the muscle tissue. Until they heal, your muscles' extension is limited, because the wounded portions are stiff and can't flex while they knit together again. Just like a scab on the outside of your body.

Sometimes, you can do it without actually hurting yourself at the time. Don't ask me how I know. It's embarrassing.

Oh, okay, since you asked so nicely. ;) I got impatient one evening (two years ago?) about not being able to get my palms fully flat on the floor any more when we were asked to touch our toes. I could touch the floor beyond my toes and that was it.

Sooooo I spent ten minutes after class doing quick toe-touches over and over until I got there. I was so, so jubilant when I regained it. Didn't hurt a teensy little bit.

The next day though? Went to class and discovered I could barely get my hands past my knees! I couldn't touch my toes for a week. Turned out I had to get my mobility back by consistent gentle stretching everyday, just like everyone else.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    Stretching is a lot like building muscle. You are moving to the very edge or even beyond the limits of what the muscle can do... creating damage, wait for it to heal, and repeat. If you do it right, in small increments regularly, the result is an increase in ability (strength or flexibility). Do it wrong... i.e. take a break and/or overdo it... it's gonna hurt like crazy for a while.

I suggest taking a day off, then some good warm ups the following day, with very light stretching at the end of class.

Repeat day 3 and 4 or until the pain is 90% gone, then slowly ramp the stretching back up over the next few days.

• HeliumIsNoble
    Options
    Er, I've just noticed that I have 'microFIBRE tears' in my last post. I have no idea what happened there but the term is 'microtear' not microfibre. Think microfibre is a cleaning fabric!