BMR/calories and weight loss

Options
duffslove
duffslove Posts: 125 Member
edited January 2018 in Social Groups
A couple of years ago right after my VSG when I joined the group, there were some threads about BMR and daily calories and macros and weight loss..not finding it now...I am now almost 3 years post op with some regain...Anyway, when I calculate my BMR it’s 1567 avg...so at 3600 cal/lb fat it would take 2.29 (3) days to lose a lb if I did nothing but lay in bed with no consumption at all.

I got back to VSG food basics Dec 9, and lost about 10 lbs in 8 days staying around 750-850 cal...then for 3 weeks, absolutely nothing, and with my BMR and those calculations it should’ve been a lb every 4.69 (5) days...

I got bummed at no movement for 3 weeks and ate a little more fat and protein then my macros goal were and my calories consumed jumped to around 950-1050 and I started losing daily, with the biggest losses when @ 1000 or slightly over..have lost about 4 lbs this last 5 days...coincidence or what’s going on?

Anyone understanding the BMR vs weight loss and macro nutrient/calorie deficit a little better than me, want to give me some more advice, opinions on this?

Replies

• JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    @duffslove I think you just pretty much proved that CICO at doesn't work. You can try to figure it out until you're blue in the face and it will never work out precisely.

I'm nearly 3 years post op and within a few months of surgery I was eating 2000+ calories a day. And now I probably average 3000. I lost 165lbs the first year and am down over 200lbs all together. I dont exercise like crazy but i do stay active. Weight gain and loss is about so much more than numbers.

I'll keep saying this because it worked for me and I believe it can work for most. Eat as LITTLE highly processed foods as POSSIBLE. I have no off limits foods. I eat when I'm hungry stop when I'm full. I indulge from time to time but never lose sight if my main goal to stay healthy and happy.

For me, it's been SIMPLE & SUSTAINABLE. I hope this helps.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of threads on the main forum where folks bat this particular ball around over and over.

One of the best overviews I found on the subject in the MFP forums is here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

It describes the various building blocks of the your total energy burn (TDEE or 'CO') and describes the importance of accurately logging 'CI'.

Taking a view that is longer than a day (like a week's worth of calories would be around 11,200, and week's worth of burn at TDEE of 2100 would be 14,700 calories out), and looking at tools like trend weight show the overall trends, and over time will lessen the effects of water weight loss and stalls.

The plan to got me to be successful (not including this past crappy year) was to set a reasonable deficit based on as good information as I have (accurate logging and measuring food), using a consistent measure of exercise but not regularly eating those calories back, and watching the overall trend.

If my loss slowed without an obvious reason, then would take a closer look at my logging (often that had slipped due to complacency).

I also firmly believe that eating 'whole' foods and reducing refined foods is a good thing, but *not* because those calories are any different than other calories. It has to do with satiety. Giving the body more work to do seems to me to reduce hunger and make it easier to stick with my food choices, which I believe leads to eating less.

So in summary, my engineering mind understands that CICO 'works' because it only describes the thermodynamics of the system. Getting accurate estimates of CI and CO is where it gets a little tricky, especially on the CO side. That doesn'tmeanthat it doesn't work.

Finding a selection of foods that you can stick to to hit your target of CI, finding an activity level that you can stick to that will increase your CO, and being consistent enough to see the results over a long enough time are the keys to using the CICO model to lose, maintain or gain.

I also don't think this is a particularly bariatric topic, and I look for discussions on this topic in the main forum.
  • 2bbetteremma
    2bbetteremma Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Active Metabolic Rate Calculator (Total Energy Requirement)
    As you increase your activities you increase the calories you consume. The advantage of Gastric Sleeve, Lap-band and Gastric Plication surgeries is that you are satisfied with fewer calories, as opposed to feeling “starved” because you are restricting intake. There is some data which suggests that the metabolic rate drop that occurs on calorie restricted diet does not occur with weight loss surgery — perhaps the brain is fooled by thinking you have eaten a meal, and therefore it does not need to decrease the metabolism. For activity we recommend something very simple — walking. We recommend all of our weight loss surgery patients obtain a pedometer and get to where you are doing 10,000 steps per day. This generally translates to walking about two miles a day. This is something to work up to, but a good goal. Your goal should be to get to walk a mile in 15 minutes. Water aerobics is an outstanding exercise if you have joint pain, or severe arthritis.
  • fit_chickx
    fit_chickx Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Body physiology is different for each of us...No calculator is 100% .You will have to dial in your calories and macros to where your body starts losing weight. Sounds like you are dialing in your diet already..Its a bit of trial and error.lol

I use https://tdeecalculator.net/

After you enter your information calculate.Scroll down to macro nutrients. You will see three tabs [maintaining][cutting][bulking] Click cutting for weight loss calories and macros.

You have three options for carbs..Start at low then try the other ratios to see if you are still in weight loss mode