Type 2 Diabetes and KETO

Options
kim_m_kk
kim_m_kk Posts: 61 Member
edited January 2018 in Social Groups
Okay so I started Monday - I am three days in and woke up with blood sugar of 73 - as the morning went on it got down to 48. I ate my Keto Breakfast with some nuts but apparently that didn't help. at 48 I had to treat this with sugar - Lifesaver mints to be specific. Is it possible I need less meds already? I take metformin, Glyburide, and Jardiance. Not sure what to do - should I call and make a doctor appointment? I don't want her to just tell me to eat more carbs because I want to eat this way to hopefully get off all these meds.

Replies

• Trish802
    Trish802 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm a type 2 diabetic. I was taken off of Lantus about 6 months ago. I now only take Metformin twice a day, and my Dr is speaking of taking me off of that as well. AIC 5.3.. Going into Keto I had to feel my way through. I started checking my sugars very frequently. I quickly realized that I wasn't hungry when I woke up. So some days I don't eat right away, I'll go hours until I become hungry. That's when I'll take my first metformin. The same at night, if I'm not hungry I'll just snack and not take my metformin. We know our bodies better than the Drs. You just need to be monitoring your sugars faithfully. Because you definitely don't want to be wanting around with high sugars. 1 Month results from Keto - 17lbs down, and stable blood sugars that stay around 70-80. Don't allow anything to discourage you from trying keto, just come up with a plan that makes it work for you. Next time your sugar drops try some berries.
  • kim_m_kk
    Options
    I was at work and lifesavers is all I had. And I felt like I was going to pass out - I think a 48 has to be treated. I don't always eat in the morning either and always hold my metformin until I do - I know that if I take it on an empty stomach it will make me sick. I have been on these meds for about 6 months - but I wasn't willing to change my way of eating until now. My first aic was 11. something and my last one was 7.
  • Trish802
    Trish802 Posts: 10 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Wow! That's a huge drop in your A1C. I would definitely consult with your Dr.. sometimes the low blood sugars are caused by your meds. Also exercise helps with diabetes as well, which I'm sure you already know. But I just wanted to share as a person speaking from experience. Also, are you eating enough at night? Sometimes a snack before bed can help with not having lows in the am.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Since you just started, part of the balancing act you're discovering is that the body doesn't switch over that quickly to using ketones for energy. You have to deplete all stored glycogen, and even then, your body has to build new muscle mitochondria to use ketones instead of glucose...

That being said, do you have impaired liver function? Because if you'd previously been really high glucose and went low, the liver should have released some stored glycogen to help balance...

Metformin is supposed to improve the cell's receptiveness to insulin activity, but it should not cause blood glucose lows...

Jardiance has a whole load of warnings about low blood sugar, and it says it works by dumping excess glucose out your kidneys, contributing to dehydration.

Keto can be naturally dehydrating if you don't replace enough sodium - so make sure you're replacing the 3000 mg - 5000 mg a day that keto causes to be dumped...

Glyburide says it works by making your pancreas pump out extra insulin naturally. If you are doing keto, you'll need less insulin... This one also has low blood sugar warnings...

When you added meds, did you add them all at once? How you react to each med would probably determine course of action if this were my choices...

Maybe someone like @genmon00 or @2t9nty or @Sunny_Bunny_ might have a better idea...

Me, personally, LOOKING AT LONG TERM HEALING - I'd probably want to get off Glyburide first, then Jardiance, then maybe Metformin, but it has a number of benefits... But short term, I don't know if that is the order - nor do I have any idea how carefully you'd need to step the meds down, etc...

Just my 27 cents. I'm not a medical professional, nor a diabetic myself, though I'm pre-diabetic and have insulin resistance (and my mother and her father and sister have/had diabetes), so I've done research on the subject. Please be sure to make educated choices, have backup and safety plans in place, and the be careful!!! Meds like this are nothing to play with!
  • kim_m_kk
    Options
    Yeah I am pretty sure it isn't the metformin as I have taken it before for PCOS and fertility. I have really been low all day - I had some extra carbs with my lunch again as my sugar was in the 50s before lunch. Even now it is just 73. I guess I should probably make a doctor appointment.

• KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @kim_m_kk

When you go to your doctor, tell him you are not willing to eat more carbs to eat to your medication level. I'd tell him that you want the chance to address this through dietary, exercise, and lifestyle changes.

Admit that if you cannot remain compliant to dietary changes, you will contact him immediately so as to be put back on medications (this is the main reasons doctors want you to stay medicated - the majority of people cannot stay dietary compliant, because admittedly, it's really hard!).

Develop a plan together of limits - excessive readings for a few days in a row that don't respond to lifestyle changes. More than 2 weeks off plan. Any excessive readings over XYZ (set limits together) at your next appointment. Offer to check in with him by email once a month or once a quarter regarding your compliance, etc.

Any reasonable doctor should be willing to agree to this TYPE of scenario, if not exactly these things...

You seem to be on a good path back towards restoring your health. For your own success and safety net, you deserve to have these back up options for yourself if you decide down the road this dietary plan isn't right for you, etc.

Wishing you the best of luck! What you might do, too, if you're waiting long for an appointment, is ask which medicine you can begin reducing until he can see you, etc. Or get an appointment to be worked in to the schedule... This can be dangerous otherwise.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    My understanding of these things is that metformin does not produce blood glucose lows but Jardiance and Glyburide can. I have only taken Metformin. I would suspect that your doctor would want to reduce or eliminate one or both of the last two. Everyone is different, but I had great success with just Metformin and keto.

I had readings in the 80's from time to time when I was on the full dose of Metformin, but that was as low as it ever got.
  • kim_m_kk
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Yeah I will call and try to get in. Usually only takes a few days. I am over due for a bp check because I changed meds. I have had to eat more carbs today because it isn’t safe for by sugar to be so low and driving my kids around and such. Not what I wanted but had to be done.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    It’s absolutely possible you need to stop the two glucose dumping and insulin stimulating meds already. As a T2D you already produce too much insulin so I don’t even know why a medication like that was ever created in the first place. Sounds super dumb to me. But what do I know.
    Anyway, this I such a clear evidence that T2D is not the progressive condition that doctors are taught to tell patients. People only need enough meds for the diet they consume. Change the diet and the meds become unnecessary. At least most of them and at the very least the dosages don’t need to be as high and do not get progressively higher and higher.
    It should be very clear now that your previous diet is the culprit in regard to your high A1c and while meds helped once you started, diet change you made now is really making a difference.
    You definitely need to correct for a low below 60 I’d say. I personally would use either smarties or glucose tablets instead of lifesavers as they’re pure glucose without fructose which won’t help. That way you won’t need as much and with smarties you can sort of micro dose. I can’t remember how many carbs each individual smartie is but it’s easy enough to find out. I’d dose small amounts of pure glucose aiming to get up to 75-85 and just stay aware of how you feel after that.
    I’d definitely eat higher protein meals as well. With high insulin levels you need to provide a substrate for the insulin to work on. If it’s not going to be glucose then it would be helpful if it were amino acids from protein. That way the insulin can be busy with amino acid uptake which repairs tissues and supports muscle and will be less likely to completely tank your blood sugar by shuttling away too much glucose or causing muscle wasting which would be terrible for someone that is already insulin resistant.
  • xosummerrainxo
    xosummerrainxo Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    What things do you snack on when sugar levels drop and you need a fix when you feel like your body is off but don’t want to do a Carb load?
  • 2t9nty
    Options
    It should be very clear now that your previous diet is the culprit in regard to your high A1c and while meds helped once you started, diet change you made now is really making a difference.

+1

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
  • kim_m_kk
    Options
    Again a day of fighting low blood sugar. Got down to 43 at one point. I have an apt in the morning and took less meds tonight.
  • gedanjj
    gedanjj Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I would stop taking the Glyburide. It's almost the same medicine as the Glimepiride I was taking. That should bring up your blood sugar readings a little.
  • 2t9nty
    Options
    kim_m_kk wrote: »
    Again a day of fighting low blood sugar. Got down to 43 at one point. I have an apt in the morning and took less meds tonight.

Let us know how it goes.
  • kim_m_kk
    Options
    Doctor reduced my meds. Didn't really have a care in the world about why my blood sugar was suddenly lower or why I had lost weight. I think I need a new doctor. I also woke up sick this morning so that should take care of the lows for a few days. lol
    I have been taking fenofibrate for my cholesterol it has not make any difference at all and my cholesterol is actually higher now than before I stared it. I think I am going to stop taking that too - a waste of money and it isn't working. When I get a new doctor I will consider my options.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @kim_m_kk I don't know if that cholesterol medicine is a statin or not, but if so, I'd drop it like a lead balloon!

Keto and lowered carbs will drop your cholesterol too over time, you'll see the drops in your trigs the fastest. Remember cholesterol tests must be fasting for 12 hours, not 8 hours, in order to be anywhere close to valid...

8 hours fasting is sufficient for most other things, but not cholesterol...
  • kim_m_kk
    Options
    It is not a statin as I had a bad reaction to statins in the past. My problem is it has not done anything to help my cholesterol
  • Shron123
    Shron123 Posts: 221 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    @kim_m_kk
    “I think I need a new doctor”

I think you do too. Not sure where you are but doing some Keto research I have come across a couple of sights that list pro-Keto doctors by city plus I know there is a website dedicated to getting rid of diabetes via the Keto diet. I believe they also have a list. Good luck!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.