New to Keto had a question

justnervs
justnervs Posts: 2 Member
ok I just started Keto and was wondering if it's ok to take men's one a day multi vitamin will it hurt me in any way I know I should be getting most of my micros from vegetables but there pretty expensive some times

Replies

• __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    Yes, you can take whatever vitamins you need.
    :)
  • BulletProofSkim
    BulletProofSkim Posts: 83 Member
    Dr Jason Fung recommends a daily multi vitamin for keto and fasting.
  • Shron123
    Shron123 Posts: 221 Member
    Vitamins def help but you shld try to get fresh veggies when possible ..... cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, kale, asparagus, romaine, spinach, Brussels sprouts to name some top choices.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,621 Member
    I take a men's multivitamin every day too. I have been following a keto diet since Oct. 2016. I usually only have a serving or two of leafy greens or something like cauliflower or broccoli every day, and it seems like a good idea.
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    make sure you consume enough sodium. in addition to a multi, you may want to consider more magnesium (not too much...can cause diarrhea), and potassium (assuming it's not contraindicated with heart meds or other meds). keto will make your body dump extra water and along with it goes electrolytes. this is one of the biggest reasons for "keto flu" that a lot of folks get when first starting keto or even just low carb dieting.
  • Claberto01
    Claberto01 Posts: 2 Member
    Hi.. I am new to the Keto Lifestyle and had a couple questions...

1) I started 2.5 weeks ago and have only lost 3 pounds.. does that seem right?
    2) I have read a lot on Maria Mind and Body and see recommends 20 Carbs a day. But then I see posts that include to eat lots of veggies. But that is hard to stay at 20 carbs a day if I eat lots of veggies. Some of the veggies I am eating are Zucchini, Cauliflower, Bell Peppers, Onions, Grape Tomatoes, Broccoli. Are these safe?

Christina
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited January 2018
    Claberto01 wrote: »
    Hi.. I am new to the Keto Lifestyle and had a couple questions...

1) I started 2.5 weeks ago and have only lost 3 pounds.. does that seem right?
    2) I have read a lot on Maria Mind and Body and see recommends 20 Carbs a day. But then I see posts that include to eat lots of veggies. But that is hard to stay at 20 carbs a day if I eat lots of veggies. Some of the veggies I am eating are Zucchini, Cauliflower, Bell Peppers, Onions, Grape Tomatoes, Broccoli. Are these safe?

Christina

I may not be the best person to answer but I lost my weight via low carb, ate keto for 52 weeks as a trial for something else and currently remain very low carb with no emphasis on being in ketosis though I'm probably "there" a lot.

1) From my perspective your 3 pounds sounds fine. I didn't have a big whoosh of weight when I started keto because a) I was already eating fairly low carb, 2) I was already in maintenance so didn't have much (any) to lose and 3) I don't tend to be someone who retains a bunch of water weight.
    2) 20 carbs a day usually will result ketosis. Many shoot for 50. Some people choose anything in between and 0 and generally 50 for ketosis but may count gross versus net. Net carbs means Carbohydrates-fiber=net carbs. Others can eat over 50 carbs and be in ketosis based on a higher level of activity. Onions, tomatoes and peppers tend to have a bit higher sugar (carbs) than the others you mentioned but they're ok if you're not eating massive quantities. Take a look at dietdoctor.com. That sight has a list of "more acceptable" vegetables which tends to start with leafy greens.
    3) Keto is a great way to eat. It helped me discover I needed more fat in my diet for hunger suppression. Yes. 20 carbs "ain't" many. Especially if your getting miscellaneous carbs in cheese, sausages, dairy etc. I eat around 50 total per day and I don't worry if I go over a bit so long as my hunger and cravings are suppressed but like I said, I don't strive for ketosis.
    4) Being in ketosis is not guaranteed weight loss. If it were, people who live their life on a ketogenic diet (some epileptics as an example) would be in a constant state of weight loss. What ketosis does in regards to a weight loss plan is suppress hunger and make it easier to stay in the needed calorie deficit. It has other health benefits for many also.
  • Shron123
    Shron123 Posts: 221 Member
    edited January 2018
    @kpk54
    I do 20g carbs per day but they are NET carbs ie less the fibre. It is doable as the best Keto vegetables are high fibre such as cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, kale, spinach plus a few more. Try googling Keto vegetables for a full list. Tomatoes can be a little higher so I am always careful with those.

I have been on Keto since July 3rd and lost 35lbs. Gained some back over the holidays but am pretty much back to my pre-holiday weight and ready to start losing again :). How much weight you lose per week is verrrrry individual and even varies for each person day to day and week to week. I have become more zen about my weight loss fluctuations as the scale continues to trend down. If you stay at one number for 2-3 weeks most of the literature says you shld look at a number of things incl recording practises, weighing accurately, tweaking yr macros, watching yr elyte/salt intake, water intake, total calories, eating too much/not enuf, etc. I know for me sloppy enduring slows me down. It all may seem a little overwhelming at first but you will really get to know your own body and what works for you. Just remember this style of eating has many health benefits incl weight loss. Just stick to it and your body will thank you in the long run ....... good luck!!!!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Shron123 wrote: »
    @kpk54
    I do 20g carbs per day but they are NET carbs ie less the fibre. It is doable as the best Keto vegetables are high fibre such as cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, kale, spinach plus a few more. Try googling Keto vegetables for a full list. Tomatoes can be a little higher so I am always careful with those.

I have been on Keto since July 3rd and lost 35lbs. Gained some back over the holidays but am pretty much back to my pre-holiday weight and ready to start losing again :). How much weight you lose per week is verrrrry individual and even varies for each person day to day and week to week. I have become more zen about my weight loss fluctuations as the scale continues to trend down. If you stay at one number for 2-3 weeks most of the literature says you shld look at a number of things incl recording practises, weighing accurately, tweaking yr macros, watching yr elyte/salt intake, water intake, total calories, eating too much/not enuf, etc. I know for me sloppy enduring slows me down. It all may seem a little overwhelming at first but you will really get to know your own body and what works for you. Just remember this style of eating has many health benefits incl weight loss. Just stick to it and your body will thank you in the long run ....... good luck!!!!

I'll quote that ^^ for @Claberto01 since I think you meant it for her. I lost my extra 63 pounds back in 2013/14 and have been maintaining at goal for close to 4 years. :)
  • Claberto01
    Claberto01 Posts: 2 Member
    Thank you both so much for the feedback! I will check out diet doctor.com. I am feeling better since starting. I have about 65 pounds to lose. I will be patient and move forward. :)
  • CollegeCoach4U
    CollegeCoach4U Posts: 13 Member
    I just started eating Keto this week. Need to lose 20 pounds by April 21 for my daughter's wedding. Please add me as a Friend!
  • loblog
    loblog Posts: 3 Member
    I am doing the same! My daughter’s wedding is in May.
  • loblog
    loblog Posts: 3 Member
    I cannot figure out how to add you as a friend. Add me and I’ll figure it out tomorrow.