Where is everyone?

Options
forgtmenot
forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
I don’t see a single post in here yet! Maybe people can comment here and introduce themselves??

Replies

• LataLizzy
    LataLizzy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm Liz! I'm glad to see there are other vegans here looking to shed a few pounds. I've been vegan for since I was 14 (11 years), so unfortunately I haven't been able to use that as a way to kick-start weight loss. It's my normal. I am trying to eat fewer carbs and really watch my sugar intake to lose 15 to 20 pounds. I know weight loss = calories out > calories in, but I was making it really hard on myself consuming most of my calories from simple carbs. That's one aspect of veganism that tends to be difficult-- a lot of readily available vegan foods are just carbs, no fat or protein to keep you full. Anyone else have something they'd like to share? @forgtmenot ? @defmonk ?
  • tannic2k7
    tannic2k7 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    defmonk wrote: »
    I'm here. The thing that most astounding to me, on the topic of veganism, is how many doctors have advised various of my friends to take up a vegan diet *after* they've had major health issues. Why isn't that advised on the front end, before folks get sick?

After thinking about moving more towards a vegan diet I can say after a few days I'm starting to feel better but have a long way to go.

As for the doctors, I think it has to deal with money first. However you have those doctors that eould suggest it upfront.
  • CindyA2268
    CindyA2268 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    defmonk wrote: »
    I'm here. The thing that most astounding to me, on the topic of veganism, is how many doctors have advised various of my friends to take up a vegan diet *after* they've had major health issues. Why isn't that advised on the front end, before folks get sick?
    Most medical professionals have never been taught any forum of nutrition and those that promote it have gone out and got it after the fact. It's really quite sad when you think about it. They are taught about the need to be proactive but also what medications to use after the fact. I do thin some doctors are given a kick back for how much medication they prescribe but after watching lectures from T. Colin Campbell (and a few others) I do support the lack of information taught in medical school as well.
  • drealina
    drealina Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Is anyone willing to share their marcos with me as a vegan? I am looking at 1750 cal a day..... and I am having the hardest time trying to hit my marcos with those calories :(
  • Eat_Plants_Lift_Iron
    Eat_Plants_Lift_Iron Posts: 2 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    HI, everyone! Thank you for creating this vegan fitness group! I am 4 years vegan, age 46, and a competitive strongWOman. I still eat fake meat because I like it and the protein levels are high. I have difficulty with cash flow so my fresh veggie intake is lower during the winter when my garden isnt as productive. I eat lots of cabbage, celery, and carrots since discovering Hampton Creek Just Mayo vegan mayo. I mix in Beyond Meat grilled chick'n strips, diced, and end up eating almost a whole head of cabbage and a pack of the chick'n in a day. I live alone, so I tend to make a thing and then eat all of it then make a different thing the next day. My vice is peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and flax milk or Ripple pea protein milk. I have a wicked sweet tooth and struggle to keep it at bay.
    I lift heavy 5-6 days (evenings) a week and do Orange Theory Fitness at 5 a.m. 5-6 days a week. I live with 6 rescue dogs and walk 3-7 miles a day between 3 separate walks. Thanks for reading about me!

Does anyone in here compete in Strongman?
  • faithfullogic
    faithfullogic Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    drealina wrote: »
    Is anyone willing to share their marcos with me as a vegan? I am looking at 1750 cal a day..... and I am having the hardest time trying to hit my marcos with those calories :(

So, I join a crossfit box that offered a weight loss challenge and meal plan. It was all about the macros, according to myfitnesspal I was hitting 52% protein, 35%carbs (only veggies), 13% fat. This was so hard to do without buying tofu, seitan, beyond meat or other fake meats for the protein. Food was good, but I couldn't wait for the challenge to be over so I could go back to WFPB. I lost some weight, but not at the rate others lost, because they were eating garbage before the challenge and I've been eating very clean for almost 2 years. I'm still liking the results and in the end it was about getting back into crossfit after have back issues and torn MCL that have both bothered me the last 2 years.
  • faithfullogic
    faithfullogic Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    HI, everyone! Thank you for creating this vegan fitness group! I am 4 years vegan, age 46, and a competitive strongWOman. I still eat fake meat because I like it and the protein levels are high. I have difficulty with cash flow so my fresh veggie intake is lower during the winter when my garden isnt as productive. I eat lots of cabbage, celery, and carrots since discovering Hampton Creek Just Mayo vegan mayo. I mix in Beyond Meat grilled chick'n strips, diced, and end up eating almost a whole head of cabbage and a pack of the chick'n in a day. I live alone, so I tend to make a thing and then eat all of it then make a different thing the next day. My vice is peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and flax milk or Ripple pea protein milk. I have a wicked sweet tooth and struggle to keep it at bay.
    I lift heavy 5-6 days (evenings) a week and do Orange Theory Fitness at 5 a.m. 5-6 days a week. I live with 6 rescue dogs and walk 3-7 miles a day between 3 separate walks. Thanks for reading about me!

Does anyone in here compete in Strongman?

I don't compete in Strongman, I'm far from that level still, but my wife has been thinking about it. She's by far more competitive than I am. I don't even go to the box when she goes, cause I don't want her to try and compete with me, LOL.
  • JanisFiddlesticks
    JanisFiddlesticks Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Happy new year everyone :D I am a Vegan/Vegetarian nurse looking to lose a very quick 30lbs for a trip to India in a couple months. Clean eating and ramping up the exercise will be my Jan-Feb goal. From March forward I intend on slowing down to a gentle consistent loss though ongoing healthy diet and active lifestyle to reach my life time weight goal...a 50lb loss. Good luck to everyone this month! Cheers :D
  • jpstreets
    jpstreets Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi my names Jonathan and I’ve been a serious vegan for over 6 months now , lost 32 pounds! It has changed my life in so many countless ways .. now I’m looking to make friends get fit and slim down to my goal weight another 30-40 to go!
  • cmbentley90
    cmbentley90 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm Chelsea from Michigan. I became a Vegetarian in 2009 and I've been a Vegan for about 3 years. I've always had trouble loosing weight even though I eat relatively healthy.
  • crubio360
    crubio360 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi I’m Cristina! I was vegetarian last year although mostly vegan. This year I am hoping to commit fully. My job as a cardiac nurse has really shown me the impact that a whole foods plant based diet could make in my life. I enjoy running long distance and have done 14 marathons. I’m looking to increase fitness and prevent disease. I struggle with portion control and would like to get a handle on that so I can be lean and show others proof that a plant based diet is incredibly healthy.