Running ... again.

Options
Calvin2008Brian
Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
I'm starting C25K today, this time from the beginning. Anyone want to do it with me?

More details here.

Replies

• gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    I'm on a mission to accumulate 30 minutes (as in 30 @ 1 minute as I do run/walk) worth of running on the treadmill each week. 1st week of January was 4 minutes (back issues), last week was 6 minutes (head cold). Today I did 8 minutes!

I probably need to set an outdoor goal as I have a 25K with a very generous cutoff time near the end of March.
  • beachwoman2006
    beachwoman2006 Posts: 1,214 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Brian, the only time you'll see me running is if someone is chasing me. But good for you!!
  • jasper60103
    jasper60103 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my very first 5K in March. However, I only plan to walk as I'm doing it with a coworker with two new hips.
  • beachwoman2006
    beachwoman2006 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    @jasper60103 I've walked several 5Ks. Once I get over the initial shock, they go pretty well.
  • jasper60103
    jasper60103 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    @jasper60103 I've walked several 5Ks. Once I get over the initial shock, they go pretty well.

@beachwoman2006 - Thanks for the encouragement!

• minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Good for you Brian!
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,089 Member
    Options
    I don't run anymore but walk 7.5K mornings before my second cup of coffee.
  • glennowill
    glennowill Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I will be back with you eventually, Brian. Working on getting my weight down and I want to re-re-start C25k once I'm down to 250.
  • whathapnd
    whathapnd Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Yay! Thanks for starting this, Brian.

I'm in but can't start until next week. I've started c25k a couple of times over the years but never finished. This is my year, and I don't care how long it takes.

Emmie
  • cakeman21k
    cakeman21k Posts: 5,888 Member
    Options
    I don't run any more due to bad knees, but I do walk quite a bit. Last October I walked a 5k here in southeast Va, and took 3rd place for male walkers! 66 years old and I won my first competitive medal ever! What a hoot! (there were eight registered male walkers)
  • minimyzeme
    edited January 2018
    Options
    OK, here's the deal. I'm doing it! However, I won't start until I can consistently train outside so at least six weeks out. I'm ready to challenge myself and kick this healthy thing up a notch.

In the meantime, I will read (thanks for the link to all the good info on this site @Calvin2008Brian !), get checked out by my doc (a runner himself), shop for shoes, read, learn proper stretching and put a good playlist together.

Thanks to all of you who inspire me: @Calvin2008Brian , @gadgetgirlIL , @podkey , @jasper60103 , @beachwoman2006 , @whathapnd and @cakeman21k !
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    minimyzeme wrote: »
    OK, here's the deal. I'm doing it!

Awesome! That's a great way to start. The C25K workouts are no cakewalk, so you want to be accustomed to walking 30-40 minutes at a pop before mixing in the run intervals.

• GavinFlynn1
    GavinFlynn1 Posts: 1,664 Member
    Options
    Good for you, Brian!

This past weekend, I surprised myself by being in better running shape than I thought I was. So while I’m not restarting C25K, I am going to start running regularly again.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    @minimyzeme - thought of you yesterday when I was able to finally get out on my snowshoes at the arboretum. Just enough snow fell Sunday and Monday to make it worth it. 4.15 miles. The cross country skiers didn't have it as good since they were cutting down to the grass in spots. It was a dry powdery snow.
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,229 Member
    Options
    Awesomeness! I hope it goes well for you!
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 5,963 Member
    Options
    Brian...Glad your getting back to it. However I'm out at this point. I need to just get to the gym and at least start walking and maybe to some aquatics. I gotta quit talking about it and just do it.

SW 400.8
    CW 321.0
    Next GW 300.0
    Final GW 185.0

79.8 lbs Total lost
  • VitosWorld
    VitosWorld Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Can't seem to bring myself to run again. Thought I would try it again when I got under 200 lbs. Nope! Having a great deal of success just walking and using an elliptical and my knees and ankles feel great. Physique transformation is not about any one meal or workout. It's about a general consistency over time.
  • minimyzeme
    Options
    @Calvin2008Brian , thanks. I will definitely keep your advice in-mind. Most of my walking now (for walking sake) is done on hilly terrain. I'm thinking I'll start the C25K training on flatter ground. I know a pretty good low-traffic volume road not too far from home.

@gadgetgirlIL , Wow--that's quite a romp! I've been doing some snowshoeing when I can. We're just headed into yet another melt with a condensed 2.5-->1.5 ft of snow on the ground. Moderation just doesn't seem to happen anymore! Still, I've been enjoying the woods on snowshoes several times this Winter--helps keep me (sort of) sane...