Is there any definitive position on total carbs v. net carbs?

Options
tmoneyag99
tmoneyag99 Posts: 480 Member
so I have searched and searched the Beginner's thread listing and couldn't find anything that gave reasonable advice on counting net carbs vs total carbs.

can someone direct me the right way?

Replies

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    On app so I can't get this thing to direct link.

LaunchPad>FAQ and General LC Info>"Which is It? Total Carbs or Net Carbs?"
  • lowil44
    lowil44 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Subtract the fibre from carbs which gives you net carbs. Use that amount, as fibre is indigestible and doesn't count. So...carbs 10 - 7 fibre = 3 net carbs. This is the number you use in your daily allowance.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    No. Pick one and try it for a month. If it works, great. If not, change it up.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    This is one of those perpetual keto battlegrounds.

Fiberphiles and fiberphobes coexist only with reluctance, much like the gingham dog and calico cat, and tend to spat when not supervised.

That is, there isn't an objectively right or wrong way (at least until you've landed in one of the camps).

Personally, I've found that fiber from plants doesn't spike my blood glucose the way sugar and starch do, so I don't count it.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    "Is there any definitive position on total carbs v. net carbs?"

And your reason for asking is? Might change the answer.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about carbs from veggies. I limit carbs from dairy and nuts and that's it. So I do net carbs, but if the fiber in my salad isn't enough to keep me under 30 grams of net carbs, I still eat my salad.
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    For some reason, counting plain carbs and trying to stay under 20 carbs a day didn't work for me, but staying at or under 20 NET carbs was victory. :) Let your body be your guide.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    RAC56 wrote: »
    For some reason, counting plain carbs and trying to stay under 20 carbs a day didn't work for me, but staying at or under 20 NET carbs was victory. :) Let your body be your guide.

If you were under 20g total carbs, then you had to be under 20g net carbs. Regardless of the method used, net carbs is equal to or less than total carbs; never is net carbs greater than total carbs.
  • tmoneyag99
    tmoneyag99 Posts: 480 Member
    Options

If you were under 20g total carbs, then you had to be under 20g net carbs. Regardless of the method used, net carbs is equal to or less than total carbs; never is net carbs greater than total carbs.

But by focussing on net carbs you are getting enough carbs and fiber.

Focussing on total carbs may result in consumption of carbs that don't meet your needs.
  • briteyes
    briteyes Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I found success by keeping it at 20 net carbs. I can't imagine trying to keep it at 20 total carbs. Not sure how I would ever eat my veggies.
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    It depends on your goals, I guess. I’m trying to stay over 25g of fiber each day while keeping net carbs between 5-10% of my calorie intake. I’m consistently in ketosis, which is what I’ve been aiming for, and I also feel much better than when I was just trying to keep all carbs as low as possible. So I wouldn’t do it differently unless it stopped working for me for whatever reason.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    tmoneyag99 wrote: »

But by focussing on net carbs you are getting enough carbs and fiber.

Focussing on total carbs may result in consumption of carbs that don't meet your needs.

Consumption of any carbs doesn't meet my needs.

The only exception is if my BG is very low.
  • Shron123
    Shron123 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    All my carbs from veggies so I do net. Works for me.
  • HealthyFit23
    HealthyFit23 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Jason Whittrock just did a youtube video. He has some good information on the Keto diet.
  • __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Since the concept of net carbs was developed in reference to veggies, I try to only use it on food with naturally occurring fiber. I log all my veg as net carbs and everything else total. (With the exception of Lily's Chocolate that is... gotta fit it in somehow ;) )
  • solska
    solska Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Just be aware that European brands like Alessi for the most part will list net carbs. You will see the discrepancy when you add sugar and fiber etc and it's more than the carb listed.