I just finished ...

Options
theowlbox
theowlbox Posts: 912 Member
What have you just finished and how did you like it?

Replies

• theowlbox
    Options
    I just finished The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga. It won the Man Booker in '08. It was one of those books that you read and you're left with kind of a crap feeling. It was an interesting book about a very poor Indian man rising to wealth through dubious means, but I found no characters I thought were ok people and it left me with the feeling that I had just participated in some India bashing. Ugh.
  • tabletop_joe
    tabletop_joe Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Let Me Tell You: New Stories, Essays and Other Writings by Shirley Jackson.

Lucky that so much good material was published postmortem, sad that there can't be more.
  • theowlbox
    Options
    Let Me Tell You: New Stories, Essays and Other Writings by Shirley Jackson.

Lucky that so much good material was published postmortem, sad that there can't be more.

Omg I just read an article about this. I should totally read it. It sounded amazing!
  • tabletop_joe
    Options
    A Rather Haunted Life, her biography, is also recommended, then!
  • tabletop_joe
    Options
    I just finished The Water Knife, and I loved it. It felt very much like a prestige tv show, like Breaking Bad set in the near dystopian future, with water instead of drugs being central to the plot. I love all the characters and I love the care they were developed with, and I will be reading anything else I can find by Paolo Bacigalupi.
  • theowlbox
    Options
    I just finished Not My Father's Son by Alan Cumming yesterday. Easy read. Very interesting conversation about childhood childhood trauma and PTSD/battle shock. Also, who knew about his connection with Malaysia? Not I.
  • theowlbox
    Options
    Also read the short story Detroit Christmas by Larry Correia. Love the Grimnoir series.
  • indefinite_studies
    indefinite_studies Posts: 3 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I just finished The Great American Whatever by Tim Federle. I loved it! I’m a young adult library worker, so I read a fair amount of YA lit. Also recently read and loved Moonglow by Michael Chabon.
  • theowlbox
    Options
    Just finished Easy Street (the Hard Way) by Ron Perlman. Great book and very interesting person. Surprisingly insightful.
  • Faelwyn_the_Rising_Phoenix
    Options
    I finished A Darkness At Sethanon by Raymond E. Feist early this morning (I just couldn't put it down when there was only a few pages left begging me to read them :p ). A very good book and I think I'm going to love the whole Riftwar Cycle. B) I'll be starting Daughter Of The Empire by Raymond E. Feist and Janny Wurts later tonight. I'm looking forward to it.
    Faelwyn_the_Rising_Phoenix Posts: 372 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I finished Daughter of the Empire and Prince of the Blood both by Raymond E. Feist. Both of them were really good. Though I must say, I enjoyed Daughter of the Empire a lot more. :D
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I just finished The Couple Next Door. It was slightly ridiculous, but a good, fast read.
    Options
    I just finished Servant of the Empire. It was a really good and I'm quite excited that there is another one in the series; especially being that I have a copy and can start it right away. :#:D
  • carrotsaregood
    carrotsaregood Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Finders keepers, Stephen King. The book of a detective trilogy. Part of it reflects on the reader’s love of book and how the characters become real.
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I just quit The Wife Between Us. It seemed too similar to The Girl On The Train, which was just okay.
  • lmh369
    lmh369 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just finished Physics of the Impossible by Michio Kaku.

it was by far one of the most challenging books i have read. But really good!
    Options
    I just finished Mistress of the Empire by Raymond E. Feist and Janny Wurts. It was excellent!
  • theowlbox
    Options
    Fearless by Elliott James. 3rd in the Charming series. Interesting!
  • theowlbox
    Options
    Just finished The Furthest Station by Ben Aaronovitch. Looove the Peter Grant series, but you absolutely the awesomeness if you don't listen to it in an audiobook. Kobna Holdbrook Smith is amazing as Peter Grant. (he's a great actor and I loved him in Dr. Strange!)
  • Toronto6fan
    Toronto6fan Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I just finished Warlight by Michael Ondaatje. Loved it. Broody, post-war London.