Replies

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    <Plop>
  • melluc2
    melluc2 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    ×plop plop× For people who can/ want to eat plant sourced fibres, I'd recommend chia seeds and flax seeds; easy to bring along while travelling too. Flatout wraps, if you have a higher carb limit and no allergies and of course other sources of roughage like spinach, broccoli...etc...Hydration is also very important.

And...for some people...coffee...haha! It's all individual, do what works for you because that's what's going to make it sustainable! My husband's gut...apparently needs very little fibre to work normally. Lucky duck!
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    up your magnesium CITRATE amount. add in MTC oil. last resort,,. eat some sugar free gummy bears or chocolates!

Those gummy bears are the devil...lol. Just don't eat a lot of them if you have a sensitive stomach otherwise make sure you are near a restroom if you eat a lot.

Like others have said up your fiber intake considerably and you won't have problems with constipation. I eat a lot of leafy greens and mix psyllium husk and chia seeds into my protein shakes. Stay active, walking helps keep the bowels moving. For a treat I have a Raw Rev Glo bar and they contain quite a bit of fiber but might not be suitable for the induction phase.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Me and the throne are good friends, but I eat a lot of fibre, love my veggies. I eat spicy food. It all helps. If the above fails, a bit of gluten takes care of it.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds constipate me to no end. Just a word of warning that for some people it does the opposite.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Kefir and kimchi both help me. Even just a tablespoonful of pickle, or a half-glass of kefir is good.

And eating so little vegetable matter, I manage to convince myself I'm still technically 'carnivoring'....
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Kefir and kimchi both help me. Even just a tablespoonful of pickle, or a half-glass of kefir is good.

And eating so little vegetable matter, I manage to convince myself I'm still technically 'carnivoring'....

@AlexandraCarlyle - Just be forewarned that not everyone tolerates fermented foods, either. I had to give up my kombucha brewing and budding love affair with sauerkraut after it began triggering migraines for me last year.
  • RalfLott
    edited July 2017
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

@AlexandraCarlyle - Just be forewarned that not everyone tolerates fermented foods, either. I had to give up my kombucha brewing and budding love affair with sauerkraut after it began triggering migraines for me last year.

Ms . Carlyle, the inveterate fermentress, I presume?
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

Oh my, that's bad!! :(

RalfLott wrote: »
    Ms . Carlyle, the inveterate fermentress, I presume?

Oh my, that's good! :)

• MissyCHF
    MissyCHF Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Glucommanan powder, my saviour!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Bumping up my amount of Doctors's Best High Absorption Magnesium 100% Chelated with TRAACS (learned about it here on MFP) fixes any issue so far with constipation so far. I have never gone above 1200 mg before I start backing it down. 600-1200 mg daily works best for me at this point in time.
  • skinnyjingbb
    skinnyjingbb Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I what I learned from a traditional Chinese medicine Doctor is to massage lower abdomen in clockwise motion laying down in bed,50 cycles each night before sleep. you can do it directly over skin( use some oil if want to) or with thin tight fitting cloth. You need to use some force pressing down, so you touch the muscles. Do Not Do It Above belly button or you hurt your stomach. This help prevent constipation.
  • solska
    solska Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Keto bread made with flax and lots of water will keep you regular. Flax is pretty great for fiber, keeping you full etc.. I don't watch calories but if you do be aware of its calories.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I what I learned from a traditional Chinese medicine Doctor is to massage lower abdomen in clockwise motion laying down in bed,50 cycles each night before sleep. you can do it directly over skin( use some oil if want to) or with thin tight fitting cloth. You need to use some force pressing down, so you touch the muscles. Do Not Do It Above belly button or you hurt your stomach. This help prevent constipation.

Yep this works well even if you have a gassy upset digestive system, but go a little gentler in that case. Usually moves things along within an hour. It's helpful to grab your left side by reaching across with your right hand and take a hold of the deep flesh between ribs and hip and give it a good shake. Sorry to be gross, but sometimes larger/longer 'logs' have a difficult time getting through the folded section - see diagram below.
    appendix-and-surrounding-anatomy.jpg

Also you can do a 'pull-up' of your intestines (to get them realigned as they are hanging on ligaments inside your body) by laying on your back, making two fists (put thumb sides together) tuck your knuckles just above the pubic bone and 'dig/drag' gently up to just below your belly button. You'd be surprised how that slims down your poochy belly if it's hanging lower over your pubic bone - jeans fit better, lol.

• RalfLott
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »

Yep this works well even if you have a gassy upset digestive system, but go a little gentler in that case. Usually moves things along within an hour. It's helpful to grab your left side by reaching across with your right hand and take a hold of the deep flesh between ribs and hip and give it a good shake. Sorry to be gross, but sometimes larger/longer 'logs' have a difficult time getting through the folded section - see diagram below.
    appendix-and-surrounding-anatomy.jpg

Also you can do a 'pull-up' of your intestines (to get them realigned as they are hanging on ligaments inside your body) by laying on your back, making two fists (put thumb sides together) tuck your knuckles just above the pubic bone and 'dig/drag' gently up to just below your belly button. You'd be surprised how that slims down your poochy belly if it's hanging lower over your pubic bone - jeans fit better, lol.

Dåmn, @canadjineh, you're the best.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    It's from all my anatomy classes (physio in a previous life - before I got a chronic illness) ;)
  • RalfLott
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    It's from all my anatomy classes (physio in a previous life - before I got a chronic illness) ;)

! I don't recall any of my friends south of the border ever learning such practical lessons in their anatomy classes...